- General Counsel, U.S. Department of Commerce
- Counselor to the Secretary, U.S. Department of Commerce
- Deputy General Counsel, U.S. Department of Commerce
- Chief Economist, Office of Policy, Import Administration (now Enforcement and Compliance), U.S. Department of Commerce
- Special Advisor, U.S. Trade Representative
- Assistant U.S. Trade Representative for Congressional Affairs, Executive Office of the President
- Deputy Assistant U.S. Trade Representative for Congressional Affairs, Executive Office of the President
- Trial Attorney, Counterintelligence and Export Controls Section, National Security Division, U.S. Department of Justice
- Counsel, Assistant Attorney General for National Security, U.S. Department of Justice
- Attorney-Advisor, Office of International Trade - Regulations & Rulings, U.S. Customs and Border Protection
- Senior Advisor and Special Assistant to the Assistant Secretary for Near Eastern and South Asian Affairs, U.S. Department of State
Miller & Chevalier's International practice offers clients experience with a wide variety of trade and investment policy issues and with most aspects of the increasingly interrelated areas of international legal and regulatory compliance covered by U.S. laws and international agreements.
Our lawyers and other professionals are recognized in the areas of antidumping, countervailing duty, safeguards, and market disruption proceedings; customs; trade policy and legislation; civilian and military export controls; economic sanctions; the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and international anti-corruption laws; U.S. anti-boycott regimes; WTO and NAFTA dispute settlement; WTO and bilateral negotiations and compliance; and global regulatory compliance. Members of our International practice have held senior government positions at the U.S. Departments of Commerce, State, and the Treasury, as well as the National Security Council. While serving in many of these positions, they were responsible for developing important laws and regulations that are critical to international business today. We have years of experience solving client problems in U.S. and global markets, drawing when necessary on our extensive network of proven trade professionals in key markets around the world.
Our clients have involved us centrally in a series of seminal cases, including some of the largest and most significant countervailing duty, antidumping, safeguards, WTO dispute settlement, NAFTA binational panel, and NAFTA Extraordinary Challenge cases ever to be litigated. We have been involved in many major U.S. bilateral and multilateral trade negotiations, as well as the related agreements and legislative implementation and regulatory processes during the past two decades. In recognition of the depth and breadth of our international practice, we are also regularly called upon by some of the world's largest multinational corporations to design and implement international regulatory compliance programs, perform internal audits and investigations, and defend against enforcement actions.
- Global Investigations Review: GIR 30 Top Global Investigations Practice, 2015 - 2019
- Global Investigations Review: Boutique or Regional Practice of the Year, 2016
- Just Anti-Corruption/Global Investigations Review: "Elite" in Washington, DC's FCPA Bar, 2016
- Latinvex: Top 10 Latin American FCPA & Fraud Firm, 2015 - 2020
- Chambers USA: FCPA (Nationwide), 2014 - 2019
- Chambers USA: Corporate Crime & Investigations (Nationwide), 2015 - 2019
- Chambers Latin America: Corporate Crime & Investigations (Latin America-wide), 2015 - 2020
- Chambers Global: Corporate Crime & Investigations (USA), 2016 - 2020
- Chambers Global: Corporate Investigations (Global-wide), 2017 - 2020
- Chambers Global: Corporate Investigations (Latin America-wide), 2015 - 2020
- Chambers Global: FCPA (United States), 2015 - 2020
- Chambers Global: Investigations & Enforcement (International & Cross-Border) (USA), 2020
- Chambers Global: International Trade (United States), 2005 - 2015
- Chambers USA: International Trade (Nationwide), 2005 - 2014
- Legal 500: Dispute Resolution: International Trade (U.S.), 2011, 2013 - 2019
- U.S. News - Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms": International Trade and Finance Law (National), 2011 - 2020
- U.S. News - Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms": International Trade and Finance Law (District of Columbia), 2011 - 2020
- Latin Lawyer Anti-Corruption Survey, Top Law Firm, 2013
- Main Justice Best FCPA Lawyers Client Service Award, Distinguished Service Award: Compliance Champions, 2013
- The Best Lawyers in America®: International Trade and Finance Law, first among Washington, DC law firms for number of lawyers ranked, 2010
Timothy O'Toole will present the Export Compliance Training Institute (ECTI) webinar, "COVID-19 Outbreak: Anticipating the Unpredictable and What This Means for the Export World" on April 16, 2020.
Miller & Chevalier and Simmons & Simmons will present a British-American Business Assoc
Brian J. Fleming, Timothy P. O'Toole, and Alex L.
In this episode of EMBARGOED!, hosts Brian Fleming and Tim O'Toole tackle the only topic that really matters right now, the COVID-19 pandemic, and break down some of the most significant ways trade
In a March 25, 2020 Federal Register Notice, the Of
In this article, Alejandra Montenegro Almonte, Gregor
In this article, Lauren Briggerman, Amelia Hairston-Porter, and Katherine