Miller & Chevalier strives to offer our staff professionals the opportunity and challenge for personal development and professional growth. The result is a combination of long-serving and newer staff—all skilled and dedicated to working together for the benefit of our clients. Miller & Chevalier staff are provided the tools to become highly skilled through the continual updating of technology and equipment, along with in-house training opportunities and outside educational resources. The Firm's investment in staff development pays off when we are able to promote from within—something we do whenever possible.
The 2016 move to our new office building created an environment where staff and lawyers interact in a very open and effective manner. Staff work areas are designed for efficiency and provide close access to required equipment and other technology needs. Ergonomics also play a big role as all workstations and desks throughout the firm are equipped with sit/stand mechanisms. Collaboration areas and beverage pantries on each floor offer flexibility in executing planned or on-the-fly projects.
Director - Human Resources
Miller & Chevalier is seeking a Director of Human Resources.
- Continuously monitor human resources' laws and regulations, policies, programs, tools, best practices of other organizations to keep management informed of new developments and recommend new approaches.
- Leads development of HR department mission, goals and systems aligned with Firm goals.
- Develop effective staff and lawyer orientation program, including new hire packet.
- Oversee annual employee evaluation and salary assessments.
- Drive annual salary review and prepare analysis of internal and external benchmark data to provide a basis for decision-making and to establish pay practices and pay bands that help recruit and retain superior staff.
- Establish Firm wage and salary structure and pay policies, including bonuses and raises.
- Ensure compliance with applicable employment laws and regulations, as well as client requirements, including EEO, ADA, FMLA, ERISA, Department of Labor, worker compensation, OSHA and others.
- Develops and regularly works with Executive Director and Firm Counsel to update complete employee policy manual and handbook.
- Obtains cost-effective, employee serving benefits; considers and recommends changes in benefits offered to new employees or for retention purposes.
- Regularly benchmarks other peer organizations to assess competitiveness of benefits packages including vacation and personal day allowances.
- Bachelor's degree required, Master's degree desirable.
- Ten plus years of experience in HR Director position, preferably in a legal environment.
- Technical skills must include proficiency with Windows, Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook, a document management system (DMS preferred).
- Excellent command of English language, oral and written.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and interact with all levels of firm personnel.
- Foster cooperative and supportive relationships with peers.
- Professional and detail-oriented.
- Strong appreciation and focus on Firm culture and diversity matters.
- Help sustain high levels of employee engagement, development and retention.
- In-depth understanding of contemporary human resources' practices and ability to adapt these to Miller &Chevalier's environment and culture.
- Ability to handle and resolve confidential and sensitive matters with tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude and approachability.
Hours: Part-time position (20 hours a week)
Hours worked - Flexible - To be determined based on needs of the firm
Miller & Chevalier is an equal opportunity employer. All inquiries will be held in strict confidence. To apply, please email cover letter and resume to:
Miller & Chevalier Chartered
900 16th Street NW
Washington, DC 20006
Please allow three weeks for a response. Thank you.