- J.D.Harvard Law School2001
- B.A.Columbia University1998
Alejandra Montenegro Almonte practices in the area of international corporate compliance across a variety of regulatory matters, focusing primarily on corruption and economic sanctions. Her experience on corruption and sanctions matters is multifaceted and includes internal investigations, voluntary disclosures, risk assessments, compliance program development, trainings, and audits. She has represented multinational companies before various government agencies, including the Department of Justice (DOJ), the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), the Office of Foreign Asset Controls (OFAC), the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), and the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). Ms. Montenegro Almonte is a native Spanish-speaker and is equally comfortable conducting legal matters in both English and Spanish.
Before joining Miller & Chevalier, Ms. Montenegro Almonte was General Counsel for the North American and Latin American Division of gategroup, a global provider of products, services, and solutions related to the onboard experience of airline and rail passengers. In that role, she oversaw all legal affairs for eight of gategroup's subsidiaries and was the strategic advisor to the senior and executive management teams of the United States, Canada, and Latin America on all legal and regulatory matters arising in North America and Latin America, including regulatory, compliance, litigation, and transactional matters. While at gategroup, Ms. Montenegro Almonte developed and implemented compliance programs across her Division, including on corruption and economic sanctions. As Chair of gategroup's North American and Latin American Business Compliance Committees, she led a cross-functional management team to proactively manage compliance matters across the Americas.
Prior to joining gategroup, Ms. Montenegro Almonte was a litigation associate at two Am Law 100 firms. While at Harvard Law School, she served as president of the Harvard Legal Aid Bureau.
Ms. Montenegro Almonte is a frequent speaker on compliance and litigation issues at national and international conferences, including the American Conference Institute (ACI) and American Bar Association (ABA).
- Represented a multinational technology and manufacturing company before the SEC and the U.S. Department of Justice in an investigation of alleged FCPA violations arising from its Southeast Asian operations.
- Represented a multinational company in relation to alleged OFAC sanctions violations arising from its Latin American operations.
- Represented a European company with worldwide subsidiaries in a criminal proceeding under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). The matter was resolved in favor of client with no criminal charges.
- Defended the Republic of Ecuador in an investor-state arbitration alleging a breach of the Canada – Ecuador Bilateral Investment Treaty. The Tribunal dismissed the case against Ecuador.
- Advised cross-functional teams on new business ventures, joint ventures and mergers and acquisitions in North America and Latin America. Structured strategic ventures across the region. Drafted and negotiated key documents, including offer letters, letters of intent, term sheets, joint venture agreements and share purchase agreements.
- Managed comprehensive compliance framework that included internal audits and investigations and routine and targeted trainings in North America and Latin America.
- Successfully represented the company position in matters before the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) and the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).
- Represented clients in international arbitrations, internal investigations and complex litigation matters.
- Division General Counsel, gategroup, 2011 - 2016
- Latinvex Latin America's Top 100 Female Lawyers: FCPA & Fraud, 2017 - 2018
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD) Fellow, 2017
- Board Member, DC Law Students in Court, 2015 - present
- Member, Global Legal Task Force Meeting, District of Columbia Bar, 2015 - present
- Board Member, Lagniappe Education Foundation, 2006 - present
- Member, Steering Committee, Airline Service Association, 2015
- Co-Coordinator of HBA-DC Mentorship Program, Hispanic Bar Association, 2001 - 2002
District of Columbia
Alejandra Montenegro Almonte will speak at the American Bar Association (ABA) International Conference, Mexico City, on November 7, 2018. Montenegro Almonte will present, as part of a panel, "The
Washington, DC, October 26, 2018 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered proudly announces that the firm was named as one of the top 30 investigations practices globally in the Glob
In this article, Alejandra Montenegro Almonte comments on her experience designing meaningful complian
Miller & Chevalier is pleased to announce that the firm was one of only five law firms in Washington, DC, to increase its commitment level to the D.C. Bar's Raising the Bar campaign.
Alejandra Montenegro Almonte will be presenting during the Center for American and International Law's (CAIL) Symposium on Global Markets: "Regulatory Nationalism and a New World Economic Order: Th
On March 7, 2017, the U.S.
On January 13, 2017, OFAC issued an enforcement action against Toronto-Dominion Bank (