- J.D.Harvard Law School2001
- B.A.Columbia University1998
Alejandra Montenegro Almonte's practice focuses on regulatory compliance, internal investigations, and government enforcement actions across a variety of business-critical areas, including anti-corruption and internal controls violations. Ms. Montenegro Almonte also has extensive experience investigating ethics and codes of conduct violations and advising clients on remediation to prevent their recurrence. Ms. Montenegro Almonte is a native Spanish-speaker and regularly conducts legal matters in both English and Spanish.
Before joining Miller & Chevalier, Ms. Montenegro Almonte was General Counsel for the North American and Latin American Division of gategroup, a global provider of products, services, and solutions related to the onboard experience of airline and rail passengers. In that role, she oversaw all legal affairs for eight of gategroup's subsidiaries and was the strategic advisor to the senior and executive management teams of the United States, Canada, and Latin America on all legal, regulatory, and employment matters arising in North America and Latin America. While at gategroup, Ms. Montenegro Almonte developed and implemented compliance programs across her Division, including on anti-corruption and employment. As Chair of gategroup's North American and Latin American Business Compliance Committees, she led a cross-functional management team to proactively manage compliance matters across the Americas.
Ms. Montenegro Almonte's roles as in-house and external counsel provide her unique experience and a broad perspective. She has first-hand experience in advising legal and business teams across multiple business lines, corporate functions, and jurisdictions, and swiftly triaging situations to minimize client exposure. Ms. Montenegro Almonte understands crisis management and protecting her clients' interests vis-a-vis multiple stakeholders.
Ms. Montenegro Almonte began her career as a litigation associate at two Am Law 100 firms. While at Harvard Law School, she served as president of the Harvard Legal Aid Bureau.
Ms. Montenegro Almonte is a frequent speaker on compliance and litigation issues at national and international conferences, including the American Conference Institute (ACI) and American Bar Association (ABA).
- Represented a multinational technology and manufacturing company before the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and the U.S. Department of Justice in an investigation of alleged FCPA violations arising from its Southeast Asian operations.
- Represented a Latin America-based national oil company before the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and the U.S. Department of Justice in an investigation into allegations of $4B in cost overruns in connection with the construction of a refinery by one of its subsidiaries.
- Represented one of the world’s largest multinational food producers in an internal review of certain cross-border transactions and food quality operations in Latin America.
- Led a global review of a Fortune 10 energy company’s anti-corruption compliance program and related internal accounting controls against applicable statutory standards and best practices, in the context of ongoing investigations in multiple jurisdictions.
- Led a review of Fortune 100 information technology company’s global anti-corruption program, with the goal of tailoring the compliance program to fit the company’s needs following a corporate restructuring.
- Represented a multinational company in relation to alleged OFAC sanctions violations arising from its Latin American operations.
- Represented a European company with worldwide subsidiaries in a criminal proceeding under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). The matter was resolved in favor of client with no criminal charges.
- Defended the Republic of Ecuador in an investor-state arbitration alleging a breach of the Canada – Ecuador Bilateral Investment Treaty. The Tribunal dismissed the case against Ecuador.
- Division General Counsel, gategroup, 2011 - 2016
- DCA Live Emerging Women Leaders in Private Practice, 2019
- Latinvex Latin America's Top 100 Female Lawyers: FCPA & Fraud, 2017 - 2019
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD) Fellow, 2017
- Board Member, DC Law Students in Court, 2015 - present
- Member, Global Legal Task Force Meeting, District of Columbia Bar, 2015 - 2018
- Board Member, Lagniappe Education Foundation, 2006 - present
- Co-Coordinator of HBA-DC Mentorship Program, Hispanic Bar Association, 2001 - 2002
District of Columbia
Gregory Bates and Alejandra Montenegro Almonte will present at the Compliance Como Diferencial Competitivo en Las Empresas hosted by Camera de Industria de Guatemala, International Chamber of Comme
Washington, DC, May 23, 2019 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered is pleased to announce that International Department Chair Kathryn Cameron Atkinson and International Member Alejand
Miller & Chevalier is pleased to announce that the firm was recognized as a "Gold Level Donor" to the DC Bar's Raising the Bar campaign.
Alejandra Montenegro Almonte and Richard Mojica will speak at the Tax Executives Institute (TEI) Dallas Chapter Mexico/Latin America Breakfast Meeting on March 19, 2019, in Dallas, TX.
Washington, DC, March 19, 2019 – Miller & Chevalier is pleased to announce that Alejandra Montenegro Almonte was named one of DCA Live's 2019 Emerging Women Leaders in Private
In this article, Richard Mojica, Marc Alain Bohn, and Collmann Griff
In this article, Brian Fleming and Alejandra Montenegro Almonte discuss the growing U.S.
On March 7, 2017, the U.S.
On January 13, 2017, OFAC issued an enforcement action against Toronto-Dominion Bank (