- J.D.Stanford Law School1977
- B.A.Wellesley Collegewith honors1974
Mary Lou Soller concentrates her practice primarily on complex criminal and civil issues and investigations. She focuses on the representation of corporations and individuals in government fraud investigations. She has represented clients in cases involving civil and criminal fraud, False Claims Act (FCA) and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) allegations. In addition, she has extensive experience dealing with all aspects of federal procurement and health care fraud investigative authorities, including auditors, investigators, federal and state prosecutors and civil attorneys and grand juries, on a wide variety of issues.
Early in her career, Ms. Soller was in private practice in the District of Columbia, focusing on energy litigation. She then joined the District of Columbia Public Defender Service, where she was a Trial Attorney and Director of Training. Ms. Soller also served as the Senior Investigative Counsel of the Special Committee on Investigations of the U.S. Senate.
Ms. Soller has taught in trial advocacy programs, including the National Institute of Trial Advocacy, Continuing Legal Education for the Maryland Bar, the Federal Bar Association and at Harvard Law School. She has also conducted training programs on privilege and professional responsibility for a number of firm clients.
- Represented defense contractor in FCA case in U.S. District Court in the District of Columbia (motion to dismiss granted and affirmed on appeal).
- Represented defense contractor in FCA case in E.D. Virginia (case resolved without payment of any damages or fines).
- Provided advice on attorney-client privilege and work product issues in connection major FCPA cases.
- Senior Investigative Counsel, Special Committee on Investigations, U.S. Senate
- Trial Attorney and Director of Training, Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia
- The Best Lawyers in America®: Ethics and Professional Responsibility Law, 2013 - 2020
- Board Member, Board of Professional Responsibility, District of Columbia Court of Appeals
- Member, Women White Collar Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Member, Committee on White Collar Crime, American Bar Association
- Member, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Member, Procurement Fraud Committee, Section of Public Contract Law, American Bar Association (former Chair)
- Member, Ethics, Compliance, and Professional Responsibility Committee, Section of Public Contract Law, American Bar Association (former Co-Chair)
- Board Member, Legal Aid Society of the District of Columbia
- Vice Chair, District of Columbia Commission on Judicial Disabilities and Tenure
- Member, Practitioners' Advisory Group to the United States Sentencing Commission
- Board of Directors, BNA Criminal Practice Manual
- Adjunct Professor, Criminal Trial Practice, The Catholic University of America Columbus School of Law
- Chair, Committee on the Rules of Professional Responsibility, District of Columbia Bar
- Chair, Hearing Committee, Board of Professional Responsibility, District of Columbia Bar
- Member, Ethics Committee, District of Columbia Bar
- Chair, Sentencing Guidelines Committee, Criminal Justice Section, American Bar Association
- Member, Steering Committee, Criminal Law and Individual Rights Section, District of Columbia Bar
District of Columbia
Washington, DC, August 16, 2019 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered is pleased to announce that 26 firm lawyers were selected as top Washington, DC, practitioners in The Best Lawyer
Miller & Chevalier is pleased to announce that the firm was recognized as a "Gold Level Donor" to the DC Bar's Raising the Bar campaign.
Miller & Chevalier is pleased to announce that 42 firm lawyers were named to the 2018 Capital Pro Bono Honor Roll, with 21 firm lawyers providing one hundred hours or more of pro bono service a
Maria O'Toole Jones, Mary Lou Soller, Jim Gadwood, and Nicholas Metcalf* will speak at the 2018 Insurance Tax Conference, taking place November 8-9, 2018, in Rosemont, IL.
Washington, DC, October 26, 2018 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered proudly announces that the firm was named as one of the top 30 investigations practices globally in the Glob
The widely publicized Darlene Druyun criminal matter has focused attention on the issue of financial conflicts of interest involving federal employees.