Miller & Chevalier is pleased to announce that the firm was again named a pro bono leader in Washington, DC by the federal Chief Judges of the District of Columbia.
Racial Inequality in the Criminal Justice System
- For the last few decades, we have regularly undertaken client representations that confront and address racial disparities in our society and in our courts. Some of these representations have challenged procedures in the criminal justice system that affect racial minorities disproportionately. In addition, our lawyers have worked for these same principles far outside the limelight, trying to mitigate and remedy the effects of racism on real people, one client at a time.
Children and Families
We partner with the Children's Law Center, the Legal Aid Society, and other legal services organizations to provide high quality representation to parents and families in crisis, in DC Superior Court Domestic Relations matters. In addition, our lawyers are regularly appointed by Superior Court Judges to act as guardians ad litem, representing the best interests of children in contested custody cases.
- Miller & Chevalier recognizes the essential role immigrants have played in our nation's history and we are committed to providing pro bono legal representation to individuals who are fleeing persecution and in need of guidance as they navigate our immigration system.
Individual Tax Payers
- While most of our commercial tax clients are large corporations, Miller & Chevalier tax lawyers understand the importance of expert tax counsel for individuals who find themselves in trouble with federal and local tax authorities but who cannot afford to hire an attorney. Often on referral from Legal Counsel for the Elderly or the Legal Aid Society, we penetrate these bureaucracies and help our clients resolve their tax problems.
Lawyers from Miller & Chevalier have been appointed to provide amicus curiae representation on pro se matters before the United States Court of Appeals over 20 times in recent years. Several of these cases have established new and clear legal guidelines, particularly in the area of prisoners' rights. We have also appeared as amicus on several important matters before the United States Supreme Court, and in other federal Circuit Courts and District Courts.
Veterans Disability and Discharge Upgrade Matters, Social Security Disability Appeals, and Landlord/Tenant Disputes
Working with well-respected local and national legal services organizations, Miller & Chevalier lawyers accept referrals for low-income people in these areas of legal need.
- FCPA: We have provided advice to several non-profit organizations to assist them and their volunteers steer clear of corruption problems they encounter on the ground in foreign countries.
- Privacy: We have also provided advice to several non-profits to ensure that their websites, fundraising activities, and data collection efforts are compliant with international and local privacy requirements.
- Tax: In keeping with Miller & Chevalier's history as a tax firm, we maintain a vibrant practice of advising non-profit organizations on their obligations under the tax code. We are honored to support the important work of our client organizations.