- General Counsel, U.S. Department of Commerce
- Counselor to the Secretary, U.S. Department of Commerce
- Deputy General Counsel, U.S. Department of Commerce
- Assistant U.S. Attorney, District of Columbia
- Special Advisor, U.S. Trade Representative
- Assistant U.S. Trade Representative for Congressional Affairs, Executive Office of the President
- Deputy Assistant U.S. Trade Representative for Congressional Affairs, Executive Office of the President
- Trial Attorney, Counterintelligence and Export Controls Section, National Security Division, U.S. Department of Justice
- Counsel, Assistant Attorney General for National Security, U.S. Department of Justice
- Attorney-Advisor, Office of International Trade - Regulations & Rulings, U.S. Customs and Border Protection
- Senior Advisor and Special Assistant to the Assistant Secretary for Near Eastern and South Asian Affairs, U.S. Department of State
Clients come to Miller & Chevalier for assistance in navigating the U.S. anti-money laundering (AML) legal framework, including compliance with the U.S. Money Laundering Control Act, Bank Secrecy Act, and PATRIOT Act. U.S. and global AML laws continue to expand both the obligations and the risks for financial institutions, companies, and individuals. Such laws frequently overlap with other legal regimes, including anti-corruption, economic sanctions, securities, customs, tax (including the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA)), and export controls. Miller & Chevalier's AML practice draws on our experts in these fields, who work together to provide companies and individuals with a holistic approach for ensuring compliance with AML and related laws and defending against enforcement actions.
Our team includes former government lawyers who prosecuted money laundering and related cases, former government officials who advised on and administered AML matters, and an ACAMS Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist. For global financial services firms and multinational companies, we have developed compliance programs that address AML laws and related risks, such as corruption and export controls. We also have substantial experience representing corporations and individuals in enforcement actions concerning AML and related laws.
We advise clients on a range of AML issues including:
- Conducting regulatory and internal investigations on behalf of companies and financial services firms;
- Representing companies, financial services firms, and individuals in criminal defense and regulatory enforcement matters, including interactions with regulators;
- Conducting AML compliance/risk assessments and audits;
- Training on regulatory requirements;
- Transaction counseling on AML risks;
- Designing and implementing compliance programs; and
- Counseling boards and audit committees on interactions with external auditors.
The complex matters we handle for our clients increasingly intersect with the AML laws of other jurisdictions; we have a tested network of resident law firms in key jurisdictions who can advise on local AML laws.
- Chambers Global: Corporate Crime & Investigations (USA), 2016 - 2021
- Chambers Global: Corporate Investigations/Anti-Corruption (Global-wide), 2017 - 2021
- Chambers Global: Corporate Investigations (Latin America-wide), 2015 - 2021
- Chambers Global: FCPA (United States), 2015 - 2021
- Chambers Global: Investigations & Enforcement (International & Cross-Border) (USA), 2020 - 2021
- Chambers Latin America: Corporate Crime & Investigations (Latin America-wide), 2015 - 2021
- Chambers USA: Corporate Crime & Investigations (Nationwide), 2015 - 2020
- Chambers USA: FCPA (Nationwide), 2014 - 2020
- Legal 500 Latin America: International Firms: Compliance and Investigations, 2021
- Latinvex: Top 10 Latin American FCPA & Fraud Firm, 2015 - 2021
- Latin Lawyer Anti-Corruption Survey, Top Law Firm, 2013
Washington, DC, March 22, 2021 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered announced today that the firm was named a Top International Law Firm by Latinvex, a well-known publisher
Ian Herbert joined a group of lawyers from around the world in a discussion of importan
Miller & Chevalier and Lefosse Advogados will present, "A Cross-Border Discussion on AML Regulatory Updates & Enforcement Trends," on Monday, February 22, 2021.
In this article, Miller & Chevalier Members William Barry, Kirby Behre, and Ann Sultan discuss U.S.