- General Counsel, U.S. Department of Commerce
- Counselor to the Secretary, U.S. Department of Commerce
- Deputy General Counsel, U.S. Department of Commerce
- Assistant U.S. Attorney, District of Columbia
- Chief Economist, Office of Policy, Import Administration (now Enforcement and Compliance), U.S. Department of Commerce
- Special Advisor, U.S. Trade Representative
- Assistant U.S. Trade Representative for Congressional Affairs, Executive Office of the President
- Deputy Assistant U.S. Trade Representative for Congressional Affairs, Executive Office of the President
- Trial Attorney, Counterintelligence and Export Controls Section, National Security Division, U.S. Department of Justice
- Counsel, Assistant Attorney General for National Security, U.S. Department of Justice
- Attorney-Advisor, Office of International Trade - Regulations & Rulings, U.S. Customs and Border Protection
- Senior Advisor and Special Assistant to the Assistant Secretary for Near Eastern and South Asian Affairs, U.S. Department of State
U.S. and global anti-money laundering (AML) laws continue to expand the obligations for financial institutions and companies. Such laws frequently overlap with other legal regimes, including anti-corruption, customs, tax (including the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA)), and export controls. Miller & Chevalier's AML practice draws on extensive experience to provide companies with a holistic approach for ensuring compliance with AML and related laws and defending against any alleged violations.
We have significant experience assisting clients in navigating the U.S. AML legal framework, including advising on compliance with the U.S. Money Laundering Control Act, Bank Secrecy Act, and PATRIOT Act. Our team includes former government lawyers who prosecuted numerous money laundering and related cases, as well as government officials who advised on and administered AML matters. For a variety of multinational companies around the globe, we have developed compliance programs that address AML risks and related laws, such as anti-corruption and export controls. We also have substantial experience representing corporations and individuals against enforcement agencies investigating alleged violations of AML and related laws, often leading to termination of an investigation without any charges. Our team has an excellent track record defending corporations and individuals when charges have been brought. The firm's strength and breadth in internal investigations is reflected in the fact that seven of its lawyers were recognized in Who's Who Legal: Investigations (2015 - 2019).
We advise clients on a range of AML issues, including:
- Representing companies and individuals charged with money laundering and related crimes;
- Investigating allegations of money laundering;
- Designing AML compliance programs;
- Training on AML requirements;
- Transaction counseling on AML risks; and
- Conducting AML compliance/risk assessments.
The complex matters we handle for our clients increasingly intersect with the AML laws of other jurisdictions; we have a tested network of resident law firms in key jurisdictions who can advise on local AML laws.
- Chambers Global: Corporate Crime & Investigations (USA), 2016 - 2019
- Chambers Global: Corporate Investigations (Global-wide), 2017 - 2019
- Chambers Global: Corporate Investigations (Latin America-wide), 2015 - 2019
- Chambers Global: FCPA (United States), 2015 - 2019
- Chambers Latin America: Corporate Crime & Investigations (Latin America-wide), 2015 - 2019
- Chambers USA: Corporate Crime & Investigations (National), 2015 - 2018
- Chambers USA: FCPA (National), 2014 - 2018
- Latinvex: Top 10 Latin American FCPA & Fraud Firm, 2015 - 2019
- Latin Lawyer Anti-Corruption Survey, Top Law Firm, 2013
Washington, DC, February 14, 2019 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered is pleased to announce that several firm practices and five of its lawyers were recognized in the 2019 edition
Preston Pugh will present at the National Bar Association 2019 Mid-Winter Conference and Judicial Council Meeting on January 17, 2019, in Panama City. Pugh will present "Money Laundering, the Pana
Margot Laporte commented on the case of Chi Ping "Patrick" Ho, a former Hong Kong government official who ran the nonprofit arm of CEFC China Energy Co.
Washington, DC, November 1, 2018 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered today announced that the firm has received numerous top-tier national and metropolitan rankings across all of it
The U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) continues to focus on cross-border white collar investigations and charge individuals located abroad.
In this article, Ann Sulta
Since our last publication, there has been significant activity in some of the most noteworthy government investigations impacting corporate executives. Key developments include: