Clients come to Miller & Chevalier for assistance in navigating the U.S. anti-money laundering (AML) legal framework, including compliance with the U.S. Money Laundering Control Act, Bank Secrecy Act, and PATRIOT Act. U.S. and global AML laws continue to expand both the obligations and the risks for financial institutions, companies, and individuals. Such laws frequently overlap with other legal regimes, including anti-corruption, economic sanctions, securities, customs, tax (including the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA)), and export controls. Miller & Chevalier's AML practice draws on our experts in these fields, who work together to provide companies and individuals with a holistic approach for ensuring compliance with AML and related laws and defending against enforcement actions.
Our team includes former government lawyers who prosecuted money laundering and related cases, former government officials who advised on and administered AML matters, and an ACAMS Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist. For global financial services firms and multinational companies, we have developed compliance programs that address AML laws and related risks, such as corruption and export controls. We also have substantial experience representing corporations and individuals in enforcement actions concerning AML and related laws.
We advise clients on a range of AML issues including:
- Conducting regulatory and internal investigations on behalf of companies and financial services firms;
- Representing companies, financial services firms, and individuals in criminal defense and regulatory enforcement matters, including interactions with regulators;
- Conducting AML compliance/risk assessments and audits;
- Training on regulatory requirements;
- Transaction counseling on AML risks;
- Designing and implementing compliance programs; and
- Counseling boards and audit committees on interactions with external auditors.
The complex matters we handle for our clients increasingly intersect with the AML laws of other jurisdictions; we have a tested network of resident law firms in key jurisdictions who can advise on local AML laws.