- J.D.Cornell Law School1992
- B.A.Johns Hopkins UniversityDepartmental Honors1989
Kathryn Cameron Atkinson is the Chair of Miller & Chevalier. Her practice focuses on international corporate compliance, including, in particular, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), as well as economic sanctions and export controls, and anti-money laundering laws. She advises clients on corruption issues around the world. This advice has included compliance with the FCPA and related laws and international treaties in a wide variety of contexts, including transactional counseling, formal opinions, internal investigations, enforcement actions by the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and resulting monitorships, as well as commercial litigation raising improper payment issues. Ms. Atkinson has twice been appointed as an Independent Compliance Monitor by the DOJ and SEC. She was a member of the original Transparency International task force that developed a compliance toolkit for small and medium-sized entities. She co-produced, with Homer E. Moyer, Jr., "Comply But Compete," a versatile, video-based FCPA training program.
On the compliance side of the practice, Ms. Atkinson focuses in particular on the design and implementation of custom-tailored international regulatory compliance programs for large and small companies in a wide range of industries. Her compliance practice includes performing compliance due diligence in mergers and acquisitions, designing and performing compliance audits and assessments, training company personnel and third parties, and working with companies to design tailored safeguards in complex business transactions and relationships with third parties.
- Chambers Global: FCPA (United States), 2015 - 2021
- Chambers USA: FCPA (Nationwide), 2014 - 2020
- Chambers Global: International Trade: FCPA Experts (United States), 2014
- Chambers USA: International Trade: FCPA Experts (Nationwide), 2012 - 2013
- Latinvex Latin America's Top 100 Female Lawyers: FCPA & Fraud, 2017 - 2020
- Ethisphere Institute's Attorneys Who Matter (Specialists: Private Practice), 2015, 2017
- Ethisphere Institute's Attorneys Who Matter (Top Guns), 2014
- Ethisphere Institute's Attorneys Who Matter (Up and Comers/Rising Stars), 2012 - 2013
- Legal 500: Dispute Resolution: International Trade, 2013 - 2020
- Global Investigations Review: Women in Investigations, 2015
- Who's Who Legal: Thought Leaders – GIR, 2019
- Who's Who Legal: Business Crime Defence, 2017 - 2020
- Who's Who Legal: Investigations, 2016 - 2020
- DC Bar Capital Pro Bono Honor Roll, 2016, 2019
- Creator and Co-Chair, Forum on International Corporate Compliance, Institute for International and Comparative Law, Center for American and International Law
- Member, Executive Committee, Institute for International and Comparative Law, Center for American and International Law
- Member, International Bar Association, Anti-Corruption Committee
- Member, International Bar Association, Corporate Social Responsibility Committee
- Member, President’s Council of Cornell Women
District of Columbia
Kathryn Cameron Atkinson will present, as part of a panel, "Corporate Governance and FCPA Compliance: The Board's Duties and Obligations," on February 23, 2021.
Washington, DC, February 19, 2021 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered is pleased to announce five practice and four lawyer rankings in the 2021 edition of Chambers Global.
Washington, DC, January 4, 2021 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered announced today the election of Margot Laporte as a Member of the firm.
Kathryn Cameron Atkinson will present, "How Group Member Leaders are Preparing for 2021," a panel discussion at the International Bar Association's 2020 Virtually Together Conference on November 19
Kathryn Cameron Atkinson will participate in a panel discussion on the legacy of women in the industry at the Women's White Collar Defense Association's (WWCDA) first annual international event, "L
On April 30, 2019, the Criminal Division of the U.S.
In this article, Kathryn Cameron Atkinson and Ann Sultan provide practical guidance for attorneys conducting internal investigations in which members of the in-house legal team or board of director
On October 10, 2018, the U.S.
On August 13, 2018, the long-awaited, much-debated, F
On May 8, 2018, President Trump announced the U.S.