- J.D.Cornell Law School1992
- B.A.Johns Hopkins UniversityDepartmental Honors1989
Kathryn Cameron Atkinson is the Chair of Miller & Chevalier. Her practice focuses on international corporate compliance, including, in particular, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), as well as economic sanctions and export controls, and anti-money laundering laws. She advises clients on corruption issues around the world. This advice has included compliance with the FCPA and related laws and international treaties in a wide variety of contexts, including transactional counseling, formal opinions, internal investigations, enforcement actions by the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and resulting monitorships, as well as commercial litigation raising improper payment issues. Ms. Atkinson has twice been appointed as an Independent Compliance Monitor by the DOJ and SEC. She was a member of the original Transparency International task force that developed a compliance toolkit for small and medium-sized entities. She co-produced, with Homer E. Moyer, Jr., "Comply But Compete," a versatile, video-based FCPA training program.
On the compliance side of the practice, Ms. Atkinson focuses in particular on the design and implementation of custom-tailored international regulatory compliance programs for large and small companies in a wide range of industries. Her compliance practice includes performing compliance due diligence in mergers and acquisitions, designing and performing compliance audits and assessments, training company personnel and third parties, and working with companies to design tailored safeguards in complex business transactions and relationships with third parties.
- Chambers Global: FCPA (United States), 2015 - 2021
- Chambers USA: FCPA (Nationwide), 2014 - 2021
- Chambers Global: International Trade: FCPA Experts (United States), 2014
- Chambers USA: International Trade: FCPA Experts (Nationwide), 2012 - 2013
- The Best Lawyers in America®: Criminal Defense: White Collar, 2022
- Latinvex Latin America's Top 100 Female Lawyers: FCPA & Fraud, 2017 - 2021
- Ethisphere Institute's Attorneys Who Matter (Specialists: Private Practice), 2015, 2017
- Ethisphere Institute's Attorneys Who Matter (Top Guns), 2014
- Ethisphere Institute's Attorneys Who Matter (Up and Comers/Rising Stars), 2012 - 2013
- Legal 500: Dispute Resolution: International Trade, 2013 - 2021
- Legal 500 Latin America: International Firms: Compliance and Investigations, 2022
- Global Investigations Review: Top FCPA Practitioners, 2021
- Global Investigations Review: Women in Investigations, 2015
- Who's Who Legal: Thought Leaders – GIR, 2019
- Who's Who Legal: Business Crime Defence, 2017 - 2020
- Who's Who Legal: Investigations, 2016 - 2021
- DC Bar Capital Pro Bono Honor Roll, 2016, 2019
- Creator and Co-Chair, Forum on International Corporate Compliance, Institute for International and Comparative Law, Center for American and International Law
- Member, Executive Committee, Institute for International and Comparative Law, Center for American and International Law
- Member, International Bar Association, Anti-Corruption Committee
- Member, International Bar Association, Corporate Social Responsibility Committee
- Member, President’s Council of Cornell Women
District of Columbia
Washington, DC, October 26, 2021 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered is proud to announce that Joseph (Joe) Rillotta has joined the firm as a member in the Litigation practice.
Washington, DC, October 22, 2020 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered announced today that the firm and several individuals were recognized in the 2022 edition of Legal 500 Latin
Washington, DC, October 15, 2021 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered is pleased to announce that Firm Chair Kathryn Cameron Atkinson, Interna
Kathryn Cameron Atkinson is interviewed by James Tillen in the second episode of the Anti-Corruption Committee interview series hosted by t
Washington, DC, August 19, 2021 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered is pleased to announce that 30 firm lawyers were selected as top Washington, DC, practitioners in The Best La
On April 30, 2019, the Criminal Division of the U.S.
In this article, Kathryn Cameron Atkinson and Ann Sultan provide practical guidance for attorneys conducting internal investigations in which members of the in-house legal team or board of director
On October 10, 2018, the U.S.
On August 13, 2018, the long-awaited, much-debated, F