- J.D.Cornell Law School1992
- B.A.Johns Hopkins UniversityDepartmental Honors1989
Kathryn Cameron Atkinson is the Chair of the International Department and a member of the firm's Executive Committee. Her practice focuses on international corporate compliance, including, in particular, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), as well as economic sanctions and export controls, and anti-money laundering laws. She advises clients on corruption issues around the world. This advice has included compliance with the FCPA and related laws and international treaties in a wide variety of contexts, including transactional counseling, formal opinions, internal investigations, enforcement actions by the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and resulting monitorships, as well as commercial litigation raising improper payment issues. Ms. Atkinson served as the government-appointed Independent Compliance Monitor for KBR, Inc. in an FCPA matter settled with the DOJ and SEC. She was a member of the original Transparency International task force that developed a compliance toolkit for small and medium-sized entities. She co-produced, with Homer E. Moyer, Jr., "Comply But Compete," a versatile, video-based FCPA training program.
On the compliance side of the practice, Ms. Atkinson focuses in particular on the design and implementation of custom-tailored international regulatory compliance programs for large and small companies in a wide range of industries. Her compliance practice includes performing compliance due diligence in mergers and acquisitions, designing and performing compliance audits and assessments, training company personnel and third parties, and working with companies to design tailored safeguards in complex business transactions and relationships with third parties.
- Chambers Global: FCPA (United States), 2015 - 2019
- Chambers USA: FCPA (Nationwide), 2014 - 2018
- Chambers Global: International Trade: FCPA Experts (United States), 2014
- Chambers USA: International Trade: FCPA Experts (Nationwide), 2012 - 2013
- Latinvex Latin America's Top 100 Female Lawyers: FCPA & Fraud, 2017 - 2018
- Ethisphere Institute's Attorneys Who Matter (Specialists: Private Practice), 2015, 2017
- Ethisphere Institute's Attorneys Who Matter (Top Guns), 2014
- Ethisphere Institute's Attorneys Who Matter (Up and Comers/Rising Stars), 2012 - 2013
- Legal 500: Dispute Resolution: International Trade, 2013 - 2018
- Global Investigations Review: Women in Investigations, 2015
- Who's Who Legal: Business Crime Defence, 2017 - 2018
- Who's Who Legal: The International Who's Who of Investigations Lawyers, 2016 - 2017
- Creator and Co-Chair, Forum on International Corporate Compliance, Institute for International and Comparative Law, Center for American and International Law
- Member, Executive Committee, Institute for International and Comparative Law, Center for American and International Law
- Member, International Bar Association, Anti-Corruption Committee
- Member, International Bar Association, Corporate Social Responsibility Committee
- Member, President’s Council of Cornell Women
District of Columbia
Washington, DC, February 14, 2019 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered is pleased to announce that several firm practices and five of its lawyers were recognized in the 2019 edition
Kathryn Cameron Atkinson will present, as part of a panel, "The Compliance Monitor’s Perspective: Where Companies Have Gone Right and Wrong on FCPA Compliance and Remediation," at ACI's 35th Intern
Kathryn Cameron Atkinson and Alice Hsieh will speak at a Women in International Trade (WIIT) panel in Washington, DC on November 13, 2018. Atkinson will speak on and Hsieh will moderate the panel,
Washington, DC, October 26, 2018 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered proudly announces that the firm was named as one of the top 30 investigations practices globally in the Glob
Miller & Chevalier is pleased to announce that the firm was one of only five law firms in Washington, DC, to increase its commitment level to the D.C. Bar's Raising the Bar campaign.
In this article, Kathryn Cameron Atkinson and Ann Sultan provide practical guidance for attorneys conducting internal investigations in which members of the in-house legal team or board of director
On October 10, 2018, the U.S.
On August 13, 2018, the long-awaited, much-debated, F
On May 8, 2018, President Trump announced the U.S.
Over the past decade, the U.S.