- J.D.University of Virginia School of Law1990
- B.A.University of Virginiacum laude1987
Timothy P. O'Toole counsels and defends clients in white collar criminal matters, conducts internal corporate investigations, and represents potential witnesses and targets in government investigations. Between his time at Miller & Chevalier and his time in government service, Mr. O'Toole has been conducting and leading large-scale defense investigations for over 20 years. Although Mr. O'Toole has substantial experience in all areas of white collar practice, his main focus is on economic sanctions and export controls. Ranked as one of the nation's leading international trade lawyers by both Chambers USA and Legal 500, Mr. O'Toole represents companies and individuals at all stages of the process, including defending enforcement actions brought by the Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Asset Control (OFAC), the State Department's Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC), the Commerce Department's Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS), and the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ). Mr. O'Toole conducts due diligence investigations regarding trade issues in connection with mergers and acquisitions and represents companies before the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS). He also provides companies and individuals with advice on compliance with the U.S. economic sanctions and export controls laws, and interacts regularly with OFAC, DDTC, and BIS in that capacity.
Mr. O'Toole writes and speaks often about sanctions and export controls at venues and media outlets around the world. He is co-chair of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL) West Coast White Collar Crime Conference in Santa Monica and a past co-chair of the NACDL's White Collar Crime Committee.
Prior to joining Miller & Chevalier, Mr. O'Toole served as the Chief of the Special Litigation Division of the Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia where, among other things, he managed and conducted large-scale criminal defense investigations for matters pending in the local and federal courts. He is a former Assistant Federal Public Defender in Las Vegas, Nevada, where he conducted investigations and handled matters for people under sentence of death in federal proceedings.
- Represent oil and gas company in world-wide internal investigation of potential violation of North Korea sanctions
- Conduct world-wide investigation of potential OFAC violations for international trade insurance provider and defend related OFAC subpoena
- Lead investigation into potential ITAR violations based on exports to China for large client in the aviation sector
- Manage investigation and response to OFAC subpoena for large travel industry client
- Represent U.S. manufacturer in handling multiple export controls (EAR and ITAR) matters related China and other Asian countries, including internal investigations, mergers and acquisition due diligence, voluntary disclosures, product classification filings with BIS, and providing frequent compliance advice
- Conduct internal investigation and successfully defend U.S. company in enforcement action involving shipments of U.S. goods to Pakistan
- Investigate and advise on potential U.S. sanctions issues and interact with financial institutions for European manufacturing client exploring Initial Public Offering
- Conduct internal investigation of potential Iran sanctions violations for large foreign financial institution
- Defend individual charged with violating Iran Sanctions in criminal proceedings
- Represent witness in grand jury proceedings in Iran sanctions matter
- Defend large international insurance carrier before OFAC in case involving potential violation of Iran sanctions
- Represent various companies before DDTC in connection with ITAR registration and licensing issues
- Represent multiple companies submitting application to OFAC for authorization to engage in conduct otherwise prohibited by economic sanctions
- Advise companies on day-to-day compliance issues involving Cuba, Russia/Ukraine, North Korea, Sudan, and Iran embargoes
- Chief, Special Litigation Division, Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia, 2003 - 2007
- Staff Attorney, Appellate Division, Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia, 2000 - 2003
- Assistant Federal Public Defender, Las Vegas, Nevada, 1996 - 2000
- Appellate Deputy Public Defender, Nevada State Public Defender's Office, 1995 - 1996
- Chambers USA: International Trade: Export Controls & Economic Sanctions (Nationwide), 2019
- Legal 500: Dispute Resolution: International Trade, 2017 - 2018
- Legal 500: Labor & Employment: ERISA Litigation, 2013 - 2017
- Faculty Member, Harvard Law School’s Trial Advocacy Workshop (2017)
- Liaison to the ABA Criminal Justice Section's Standards Committee Task Force on Discovery Standards, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Co-Chair, White Collar Crime Committee, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Chair, Ethics Advisory Committee, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Member, Board of Directors, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Co-Chair, NACDL's 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th Annual West Coast White Collar Seminars
- Vice Chair, Amicus Committee for the DC Circuit, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
District of Columbia
- Clerk, The Honorable Charles E. Springer, Supreme Court of Nevada
Timothy O'Toole will moderate the Federal Bar Association CLE panel, "Annual SCOTUS Term in Review" on July 16, 2019, in Alexandria, VA. The panel will feature a discussion with the country's top U
Timothy O'Toole and Addy Schmitt will speak at the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers 2019 West Coast White Collar Conference on June 20, 2019 in Santa Monica, CA.
Santa Monica, CA
Timothy O'Toole will speak in the Export Compliance Training Institute (ECTI) Seminar Series event, "ITAR/EAR/OFAC Commercial and Military Export Controls: How U.S. Controls Impact Non-U.S.
Timothy O'Toole will speak at the Due Process Institute's In-House Counsel Enforcement Forum on May 9, 2018. The event is intended for legal and compliance counsel who address criminal and regulat
Washington, DC, May 3, 2019 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered today announced that the firm received multiple practice and individual lawyer rankings in the 2019 edition of Chambe
The Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) has issued its most comprehensiv
On March 27, 2019, the U.S.
On March 22, 2019, the U.S.