- J.D.University of Virginia School of Law1990
- B.A.University of Virginiacum laude1987
Timothy P. O'Toole is the leader of our White Collar Defense Practice Group. Between his time at Miller & Chevalier and his time in government service, Mr. O'Toole has been conducting and leading large-scale defense investigations for over 20 years. Although Mr. O'Toole has substantial experience in all areas of white collar practice, his main focus is on defending enforcement actions and conducting investigations involving the economic sanctions, export controls, and anti-money laundering laws. His clients run the gamut, including U.S. and non-U.S. financial institutions and public companies in the aviation, insurance, logistics, manufacturing, and oil and gas sectors. Ranked as one of the nation's leading international trade lawyers by both Chambers USA and Legal 500, Mr. O'Toole represents companies and individuals at all stages of the process, including defending enforcement actions brought by the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), the Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Asset Control (OFAC), the State Department's Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC), and the Commerce Department's Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS). He also provides companies and individuals with advice on compliance with the U.S. economic sanctions, export controls and anti-money laundering laws, and interacts regularly with DOJ, OFAC, DDTC, and BIS in that capacity. Mr. O'Toole has substantial experience dealing with criminal and civil regulators, and extensive courtroom experience before judges and juries, having appeared in state and federal courts hundreds of times in a variety of civil and criminal proceedings.
Mr. O'Toole writes and speaks often about white collar defense and international trade issues at venues and media outlets around the world. He is co-chair of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL) West Coast White Collar Crime Conference in Santa Monica and a past co-chair of the NACDL's White Collar Crime Committee.
Prior to joining Miller & Chevalier, Mr. O'Toole served as the Chief of the Special Litigation Division of the Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia where, among other things, he managed and conducted large-scale criminal defense investigations for matters pending in the local and federal courts. He is a former Assistant Federal Public Defender in Las Vegas, Nevada, where he conducted investigations and handled matters for people under sentence of death in federal proceedings.
- Represent oil and gas company in world-wide internal investigation of potential violation of North Korea sanctions
- Conduct world-wide investigation of potential OFAC violations for international trade insurance provider and defend related OFAC subpoena
- Lead investigation into potential ITAR violations based on exports to China for large client in the aviation sector
- Manage investigation and response to OFAC subpoena for large travel industry client
- Represent U.S. manufacturer in handling multiple export controls (EAR and ITAR) matters related China and other Asian countries, including internal investigations, mergers and acquisition due diligence, voluntary disclosures, product classification filings with BIS, and providing frequent compliance advice
- Conduct internal investigation and successfully defend U.S. company in enforcement action involving shipments of U.S. goods to Pakistan
- Investigate and advise on potential U.S. sanctions issues and interact with financial institutions for European manufacturing client exploring Initial Public Offering
- Conduct internal investigation of potential Iran sanctions violations for large foreign financial institution
- Defend individual charged with violating Iran Sanctions in criminal proceedings
- Represent witness in grand jury proceedings in Iran sanctions matter
- Defend large international insurance carrier before OFAC in case involving potential violation of Iran sanctions
- Represent various companies before DDTC in connection with ITAR registration and licensing issues
- Represent multiple companies submitting application to OFAC for authorization to engage in conduct otherwise prohibited by economic sanctions
- Advise companies on day-to-day compliance issues involving Cuba, Russia/Ukraine, North Korea, Sudan, and Iran embargoes
- Chief, Special Litigation Division, Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia, 2003 - 2007
- Staff Attorney, Appellate Division, Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia, 2000 - 2003
- Assistant Federal Public Defender, Las Vegas, Nevada, 1996 - 2000
- Appellate Deputy Public Defender, Nevada State Public Defender's Office, 1995 - 1996
- Chambers USA: International Trade: Export Controls & Economic Sanctions (Nationwide), 2019
- Legal 500: Dispute Resolution: International Trade, 2017 - 2019
- Legal 500: Labor & Employment: ERISA Litigation, 2013 - 2017, 2019
- Global Investigations Review: The 25 Most Respected Sanctions Lawyers in Washington, DC, 2019
- Faculty Member, Harvard Law School’s Trial Advocacy Workshop (2017 & 2019)
- Co-Chair, NACDL's 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th Annual West Coast White Collar Seminars
- Vice Chair, Amicus Committee for the DC Circuit, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Immediate Past Co-Chair, White Collar Crime Committee, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Past Member, Board of Directors, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
District of Columbia
- Clerk, The Honorable Charles E. Springer, Supreme Court of Nevada
Timothy O'Toole will speak in the Export Compliance Training Institute (ECTI) Seminar Series event, "ITAR/EAR/OFAC Commercial and Military Export Controls" on November 14, 2019, in Alexandria, VA.
Washington, DC, November 4, 2019 – Miller & Chevalier is pleased to announce that Timothy P.
Brian Fleming and Timothy O'Toole will speak as part of a roundtable event in partnership with Kesarev Consulting and the U.S.-Russia Business Council in Washington, DC on October 29, 2019.
Washington, DC, October
Kirby Behre and Timothy O'Toole will speak at the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL) 2019 White Collar Seminar & Fall Board Meeting, "Defending the White Collar Case: In &
On September 17, 2019, the U.S.
In this article, Brian Fleming and Timothy O'Toole discussed how keeping abreast of the latest U.S. Department of Commerce's Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) and U.S.
Back in April, the administration previewed coming changes to the Cuba embargo, suggesting that it would further restrict travel between the U.S. and Cuba.