- J.D.University of Virginia School of Law1990
- B.A.University of Virginiacum laude1987
Timothy P. O'Toole is the leader of our White Collar Defense Practice Group. Between his time at Miller & Chevalier and his time in government service, Mr. O'Toole has been conducting and leading large-scale defense investigations for over 20 years. Although Mr. O'Toole has substantial experience in all areas of white collar practice, his main focus is on defending enforcement actions and conducting investigations involving the economic sanctions, export controls, and anti-money laundering laws. His clients run the gamut, including U.S. and non-U.S. financial institutions and public companies in the aviation, insurance, logistics, manufacturing, oil and gas, and telecommunications sectors. Recognized as one of the leading international trade lawyers in the U.S. by Chambers USA, Legal 500, Who's Who Legal, and Global Investigations Review, Mr. O'Toole represents companies and individuals at all stages of the process, including defending enforcement actions brought by the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), the Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Asset Control (OFAC), the State Department's Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC), and the Commerce Department's Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS). He also provides companies and individuals with advice on compliance with the U.S. economic sanctions, export controls and anti-money laundering laws, and interacts regularly with DOJ, OFAC, DDTC, and BIS in that capacity. Mr. O'Toole has substantial experience dealing with criminal and civil regulators, and extensive courtroom experience before judges and juries, having appeared in state and federal courts hundreds of times in a variety of civil and criminal proceedings.
Mr. O'Toole writes and speaks often about white collar defense and international trade issues at venues and media outlets around the world. He is co-chair of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL) West Coast White Collar Crime Conference in Santa Monica and a past co-chair of the NACDL's White Collar Crime Committee. Mr. O'Toole also hosts the firm's economic sanctions and export controls podcast, EMBARGOED!
Prior to joining Miller & Chevalier, Mr. O'Toole served as the Chief of the Special Litigation Division of the Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia where, among other things, he managed and conducted large-scale criminal defense investigations for matters pending in the local and federal courts. He is a former Assistant Federal Public Defender in Las Vegas, Nevada, where he conducted investigations and handled matters for people under sentence of death in federal proceedings.
- Represent oil and gas company in world-wide internal investigation of potential violation of North Korea sanctions
- Represent large Venezuela-based oil logistics company in licensing and potential enforcement proceedings related to U.S. sanctions against Venezuela
- Defend U.S. carrier against possible enforcement action related to Cuba travel
- Conduct world-wide investigation of potential OFAC violations for international trade insurance provider and defend related OFAC subpoena
- Lead investigation into potential ITAR violations based on exports to China for large client in the aviation sector
- Manage investigation and response to OFAC subpoena for large travel industry client
- Represent U.S. manufacturer in handling multiple export controls (EAR and ITAR) matters related China and other Asian countries, including internal investigations, mergers and acquisition due diligence, voluntary disclosures, product classification filings with BIS, and providing frequent compliance advice
- Conduct internal investigation and successfully defend U.S. company in enforcement action involving shipments of U.S. goods to Pakistan
- Investigate and advise on potential U.S. sanctions issues and interact with financial institutions for European manufacturing client exploring Initial Public Offering
- Conduct internal investigation of potential Iran sanctions violations for large foreign financial institution
- Defend individual charged with violating Iran Sanctions in criminal proceedings
- Represent witness in grand jury proceedings in Iran sanctions matter
- Defend large international insurance carrier before OFAC in case involving potential violation of Iran sanctions
- Represent various companies before DDTC in connection with ITAR registration and licensing issues
- Represent multiple companies submitting application to OFAC for authorization to engage in conduct otherwise prohibited by economic sanctions
- Advise companies on day-to-day compliance issues involving Cuba, Russia/Ukraine, North Korea, Sudan, and Iran embargoes
- Chief, Special Litigation Division, Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia, 2003 - 2007
- Staff Attorney, Appellate Division, Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia, 2000 - 2003
- Assistant Federal Public Defender, Las Vegas, Nevada, 1996 - 2000
- Appellate Deputy Public Defender, Nevada State Public Defender's Office, 1995 - 1996
- Chambers USA: International Trade: Export Controls & Economic Sanctions (Nationwide), 2019
- Legal 500: Dispute Resolution: Corporate Investigations and White-Collar Criminal Defense, 2020
- Legal 500: Dispute Resolution: International Trade, 2017 - 2020
- Legal 500: Labor & Employment: ERISA Litigation, 2013 - 2017, 2019
- The Best Lawyers in America®: Criminal Defense: White Collar, 2021
- Global Investigations Review: The 25 Most Respected Sanctions Lawyers in Washington, DC, 2019
- Who's Who Legal: Trade & Customs - International Sanctions, 2019
- Legal Media Group's Expert Guides: White Collar, 2020
- Faculty Member, Harvard Law School’s Trial Advocacy Workshop (2017 & 2019)
- Co-Chair, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers' (NACDL) 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th Annual West Coast White Collar Seminars
- Vice Chair, Amicus Committee for the DC Circuit, NACDL
- Immediate Past Co-Chair, White Collar Crime Committee, NACDL
- Past Member, Board of Directors, NACDL
District of Columbia
- Clerk, The Honorable Charles E. Springer, Supreme Court of Nevada
With the U.S. presidential election right around the corner, Brian and Tim explore what the results could mean for U.S.
Timothy O'Toole, Co-Host of Miller & Chevalier's EMBARGOED!
Washington, DC, October 23, 2020 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered proudly announces that the firm was named as one of the top 30 investigations practices globally in the Glob
In this episode of EMBARGOED!, Brian and Tim drop the gavel to render verdicts on the litigation impacting the TikTok and WeChat bans and a lawsuit challenging the legal bases for the new ICC-relat
In the latest episode of EMBARGOED!, Brian and Tim return to China in a big way as they dive headlong into the TikTok and WeChat bans to analyze what transactions are actually prohibited, the statu
In this article, Tim O'Toole and Aiysha Hussain discuss the challenges of conducting investigations remotely given the restrictions imposed by COVID-19 and provide practical considerations for comp
Miller & Chevalier Member Timothy O'Toole and Florian Wolf, Senior Associate at Blomstein in Berlin, outline the recent changes made to the Export Administrative Regulations (EAR) by the U.S.
For the past few weeks, the narrative around white collar enforcement has, broadly speaking, been this: In the short term, investigations and prosecutions – like nearly everything else – will be de