- J.D.University of Virginia School of Law1990
- B.A.University of Virginiacum laude1987
Timothy P. O'Toole counsels and defends clients in white collar criminal matters, conducts internal corporate investigations, and represents potential witnesses and targets in government investigations. Although Mr. O'Toole has substantial experience in all areas of white collar practice, his main focus is on economic sanctions and export controls. Mr. O'Toole represents companies and individuals at all stages of the process, including enforcement actions brought by the Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Asset Control (OFAC), the Commerce Department's Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) and the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ). Mr. O'Toole conducts due diligence investigations regarding trade issues in connection with mergers and acquisitions and represents companies before the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS). He also provides companies and individuals with advice on compliance with the U.S. economic sanctions and export controls laws, and interacts regularly with OFAC and BIS in that capacity.
Mr. O'Toole writes and speaks often about export controls and sanctions at venues around the world. In the past year alone, he has published more than half a dozen articles on these topics and been interviewed by a wide range of media. He is a past co-chair of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL) West Coast White Collar Crime Conference.
Prior to joining Miller & Chevalier, Mr. O'Toole served as the Chief of the Special Litigation Division of the Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia, where he supervised and handled complex cases in the local and federal courts. He is a former Assistant Federal Public Defender in Las Vegas, Nevada, where he represented people under sentence of death in federal proceedings.
- Defend individual charged with violating Iran Sanctions in criminal proceedings
- Represent witness in grand jury proceedings in Iran sanctions matter
- Defend company before OFAC in case involving potential violation of Iran sanctions
- Defend companies before BIS in case involving potential violation of BIS Entity List
- Represent company in connection with ITAR Registration and potential Technical Assistance Agreement (TAA)
- Advise company in navigating complex subpoena and enforcement issues in wide-ranging embargo investigation by DOJ
- Represent multiple companies submitting application to OFAC for authorization to engage in conduct otherwise prohibited by economic sanctions
- Advise companies on day-to-day compliance issues involving Cuba, Ukraine, Sudan, and Iran embargoes
- Represent European financial institution in dealings with OFAC enforcement officials
- Chief, Special Litigation Division, Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia, 2003 - 2007
- Staff Attorney, Appellate Division, Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia, 2000 - 2003
- Assistant Federal Public Defender, Las Vegas, Nevada, 1996 - 2000
- Appellate Deputy Public Defender, Nevada State Public Defender's Office, 1995 - 1996
- Legal 500: Dispute Resolution: International Trade, 2017 - 2018
- Legal 500: Labor & Employment: ERISA Litigation, 2013 - 2017
- Faculty Member, Harvard Law School’s Trial Advocacy Workshop (2017)
- Liaison to the ABA Criminal Justice Section's Standards Committee Task Force on Discovery Standards, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Co-Chair, White Collar Crime Committee, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Chair, Ethics Advisory Committee, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Member, Board of Directors, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Co-Chair, NACDL's 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th Annual West Coast White Collar Seminars
- Vice Chair, Amicus Committee for the DC Circuit, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
District of Columbia
- Clerk, The Honorable Charles E. Springer, Supreme Court of Nevada
Timothy P. O'Toole, James G.
In this blog post, Timothy O'Toole and Brian Fleming discuss the guidance that the
Timothy P. O'Toole will participate as panel moderator during the 7th Annual SCOTUS "Term in Review" event presented by the Federal Bar Association, Northern Virginia Chapter (FBA-NOVA).
Timothy P. O'Toole, Addy R. Schmitt, and Andrew T.
Santa Monica, CA
Miller & Chevalier is pleased to announce that the firm was one of only five law firms in Washington, DC, to increase its commitment level to the D.C. Bar's Raising the Bar campaign.
On October 10, 2018, the U.S.
In this article, Timothy O'Toole and Claire Palmer discuss the Office of Foreign Assets Control's (OFAC's) recent uptick in enforcing sanctions against North Korea.
On August 13, 2018, the long-awaited, much-debated, F
Following through on the May 8, 2018 announce
The U.S. Department of Commerce's Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) and the U.S.