Washington, DC, April 27, 2021 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered is pleased to announce that seven firm lawyers were selected as Washington, DC Super Lawyers®, with an
- We are counsel to three Unification Church entities in their action against the directors of a non-profit corporation established to support the Unification Church. The suit alleges that the current directors breached their fiduciary duty to the non-profit when they amended its articles of incorporation to change the non-profit's purposes and then diverted hundreds of millions of dollars in assets to a new purpose. The suit also involves breach of contract claims by the non-profit's principal donor. The case already has included two appeals, both resolved in our clients' favor.
- In August 2018, we secured a dismissal of a shareholder derivative suit against a major insurance company and our client, a former officer of the company.
- In September 2018, we obtained a $36.4 million judgment in a suit brought under the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act terrorism exception on behalf of a dual Iranian-U.S. citizen who was wrongfully detained and tortured in Iran.
- Since 2013, the firm has been representing three non-profit corporations in Pennsylvania that are the subject of a parens patriae lawsuit brought by the Pennsylvania Attorney General seeking to challenge various transactions and corporate governance practices of the three corporations, including transactions between the corporations and certain of their directors or officers, who are also defendants in the lawsuit.
- We recently represented an airline in an industry-wide FCA investigation involving concerns about compliance with contracts with the U.S. Postal Service.
- We represent Innovative BioDefense, Inc., a California-based hand sanitizer company, and its President and CEO in a lawsuit filed by the DOJ in federal court in California. The complaint alleges violations of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act resulting from the alleged distribution of unapproved new drugs and misbranded drugs.