- J.D.Georgetown University Law Centercum laude1985
- B.A.George Washington Universitywith special honors and distinction1982
Kirby Behre is a Member of Miller & Chevalier's Litigation department and a former federal prosecutor. His practice focuses on the representation of corporations and senior executives in government investigations and criminal litigation, and in complex civil litigation. Mr. Behre's experience includes cases involving antitrust and cartel activity, bribery, fraud, public corruption, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and government contracts.
Mr. Behre has significant courtroom experience and has tried more than 50 cases before a jury. He is a nationally recognized authority on business crimes and co-authors Federal Sentencing for Business Crimes (Lexis-Nexis) and Responding to Corporate Criminal Investigations (BNA).
He has been recognized as a leading white collar criminal defense and government investigations lawyer by Chambers USA, which describes him as "sharp as a tack," an extraordinary advocate" who has "very good analysis and negotiation abilities," and "a standout lawyer." Chambers has also noted that Mr. Behre impresses clients with his "talent and creativity" his "creative solutions to tricky problems" and his "absolute ferociousness toward defense litigation." Legal 500 has recognized Mr. Behre as a leading antitrust and white collar criminal defense lawyer, saying that he "always makes himself available to clients" and noting his successful representation of UTi Worldwide in the DOJ's air cargo investigation.
- Convinced the U.S. Department of Justice that its investigation of global freight forwarder for alleged cartel activities involving more than a dozen freight forwarders should be closed.
- Successfully defended numerous business executives from prosecution in the U.S. Department of Justice's cartel investigation into the auto parts industry, the largest cartel investigation in the department's history.
- Conducted complex internal investigations involving alleged foreign bribery for several major global corporations.
- Obtained an extremely favorable sentence for an Afghan construction company in criminal cases in U.S. District Courts in Chicago and Honolulu involving alleged bribery of U.S. military officials located in Kabul, Afghanistan.
- Obtained a rare nolo contendere ("no contest") plea for a U.S.-based cargo airline in a criminal case in U.S. District Court in Miami involving alleged antitrust violations in the air cargo industry.
- Defended two former executives of a U.S. bank in a five-week federal jury trial in Los Angeles involving the bank's failure.
- Assistant U.S. Attorney, District of Columbia, 1989 - 1995
- Chambers USA: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations (District of Columbia), 2010 - 2017
- Legal 500: Antitrust: Cartel, 2014 - 2017
- Legal 500: Dispute Resolution: White-Collar Criminal Defense, 2015 - 2017
- Legal 500: Litigation: International Trade, 2015
- Legal 500: Litigation: Financial Services, 2014
- Legal Media Group's Expert Guides, Best of the Best, White Collar, 2015
- Who's Who Legal: The International Who's Who of Business Crime Defence Lawyers - Money Laundering, 2016
- Who's Who Legal: The International Who's Who of Business Crime Defence Lawyers, 2015 - 2017
- Who's Who Legal: The International Who's Who of Investigations Lawyers, 2014 - 2018
- Who's Who Legal: The International Who's Who of Business Lawyers, 2014
- Washington's Top Lawyers: Criminal Defense, White Collar (Washingtonian Magazine), 2011 - 2016
- Washington, DC Super Lawyers®: Criminal Defense: White Collar, 2007 - 2017
- General Counsel, Big Brothers Big Sisters National Capital Area, 1988 - present
District of Columbia
Miller & Chevalier lawyer Ian Herbert obtained a conviction reversal in the District of Columbia Court of Appeals on behalf of the firm's pro bono client, Joseph Smith. In 2012, Mr.
Washington, DC, February 6, 2018 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered announced today that eight firm lawyers were recognized in the 2018 edition of Who's Who Legal: Investi
Washington, DC, October 27, 2017 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered proudly announces that the firm was named as one of the top 30 investigations practices globally in the Glob
Washington, DC, September 1, 2017 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered announced today that eight firm lawyers were recognized in the 2017 edition of Who's Who Legal: Business Cr
Washington, DC, June 5, 2017 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered announced today that the firm received practice and individual rankings in the 2017 edition of
The last quarter of 2017 resulted in several significant developments in government investigations that impact corporate executives.
Since we last reported, several important developments in government investigations highlight the complications inherent in cross-border criminal prosecutions because of limits on extraterritoriali
In this article, Lauren Briggerman, Dawn Murphy-Johnson, and Kirby Behre discuss key developments impacting corporate executives beyond the investigations phase of the enforcement process, includin