- J.D.Georgetown University Law Centermagna cum laude, Order of the Coif2016
- B.A.Yale University2009
Elizabeth Jonas is a Senior Associate in the Litigation Department. Her practice focuses on complex civil litigation and appellate advocacy. She has experience involving the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), the Federal Employees Health Benefits Act (FEHBA), the False Claims Act, breach of fiduciary duty claims, corporate governance disputes, employment discrimination, and administrative agency appeals. Recent representations include a breach of fiduciary challenge under ERISA to the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation (PBGC's) management of plan assets before the DC Circuit.
Ms. Jonas has extensive experience litigating before federal and state appellate courts. She has also represented clients in matters before the American Arbitration Association.
Ms. Jonas regularly advises on regulatory matters relating to health and welfare plans, including the intersection of state insurance regulation with federal law, such as the extraterritorial reach of state laws. She was a presenter at the ERISA Industry Committee's Legal Developments in Employee Benefits Law webinar last year.
Ms. Jonas also has an active pro-bono practice, having served as court-appointed counsel at the Maryland Court of Special Appeals, as co-counsel to amicus curiae the Innocence Project at the United States Supreme Court, and, most recently, as counsel to an inmate on federal death row.
Prior to joining Miller & Chevalier, Ms. Jonas was a litigation associate at an Am Law 100 firm, where she assisted on white collar criminal defense, government and internal investigations, and appellate litigation. Ms. Jonas previously served as a Law Clerk for the Honorable Roy McLeese III in the District of Columbia Court of Appeals and legal intern to the Honorable Marian Blank Horn in the U.S. Court of Federal Claims.
Ms. Jonas graduated magna cum laude from Georgetown University Law Center in 2016, where she served as a managing editor of the Annual Survey of White Collar Crime at the American Criminal Law Review and as a student attorney for the Appellate Litigation Clinic.
- Correspondence Manager and Writer, Senator Richard Blumenthal, United States Senate, 2012 - 2014
- Intern, Office of the First Lady, The White House, 2011 - 2012
- Honors Paralegal, United States Department of Justice, Criminal Division, Fraud Section, 2009 - 2011
- Legal Intern, United States Bankruptcy Court, District of New Jersey, 2009
- DC Bar Capital Pro Bono Honor Roll, 2019
- Leadership Counsel on Legal Diversity (LCLD) Pathfinder Program, 2020
- Board Member, Yale Club of Washington, D.C., 2012-2019
- 2016 Law Fellow, Fellowships at Auschwitz for the Study of Professional Ethics
District of Columbia
- Law Clerk, The Honorable Roy McLeese III, District of Columbia Court of Appeals
- Legal Intern, The Honorable Marian Blank Horn, United States Court of Federal Claims
Washington, DC, October 23, 2020 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered proudly announces that the firm was named as one of the top 30 investigations practices globally in the Glob
Washington, DC, October
The Department of Defense's (DoD) long-awaited final rule restricting the use of lowest price tech