Jason Workmaster focuses his practice on government contracts-related litigation, including contract claims and disputes, bid protests, and civil False Claims Act (FCA) cases. He has represented a host of clients in these types of cases before the boards of contract appeals, the U.S. Court of Federal Claims (COFC), the Government Accountability Office (GAO), and U.S. District Court. He also routinely assists clients in responding to government audits and investigations. Chambers USA has recognized Mr. Workmaster for his government contracts expertise, noting that clients say he "is an excellent government contracts attorney" and that "his greatest strength is his ability to explain very complicated regulatory and legal subjects in lay person's terms to ensure his client is well informed and can therefore make sound decisions."
A former partner in the highly-regarded McKenna Long & Aldridge government contracts practice, Mr. Workmaster is also recognized as an expert on a wide range of substantive government contracting issues – including cost allowability, the Cost Accounting Standards (CAS), contract funding, defective pricing, requests for equitable adjustment, contingency contracting, the General Services Administration (GSA) Schedules program, and the Trade Agreements Act (TAA). In addition, he is a recognized leader on FCA issues and has appeared on NBC's The TODAY Show and Canadian TV's National News to discuss the highly publicized FCA case against the cyclist Lance Armstrong.
- Representing contractors before the COFC, the Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals (ASBCA) and the Federal Aviation Administration's Office of Dispute Resolution for Acquisition (ODRA) in complex contract disputes involving cost allowability, CAS, defective pricing, terminations for convenience, requests for equitable adjustment, and contingency contracting.
- Representing contractors in COFC, GAO, and state and local bid protests challenging, or defending, agency award decisions.
- Representing contractors in stay override cases before the COFC.
- Defending contractors in U.S. District Court in FCA cases involving icost allowability, defective pricing, timekeeping, and small business issues.
- Representing contractors in size protests before the Small Business Administration (SBA).
- Representing contractors in U.S. District Court and before the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA) in commercial disputes relating to work for the Government.
- Conducting internal investigations regarding potential fraud allegations and contract compliance.
- Assisting contractors regarding the government's mandatory disclosure program.
- Assisting contractors with responding to Defense Contract Audit Agency (DCAA) and GSA audits.
- Preparing requests for equitable adjustment and certified claims.
- Conducting due diligence reviews relating to the acquisition of government contractors.
- Drafting teaming agreements and subcontracts.
- Kellogg Brown & Root Services, Inc., ASBCA Nos. 56358 et al., 17-1 BCA ¶ 36,779.
- Kellogg Brown & Root Services, Inc., ASBCA No. 59557, 15-1 BCA ¶ 35,865.
- Kellogg Brown & Root Services, Inc., ASBCA Nos. 56358 et al., 14-1 BCA ¶ 35,639.
- United States v. Kellogg Brown & Root Services, Inc., 284 F.R.D. 22 (D.D.C. Aug. 31, 2012).
- Kellogg Brown & Root Services, Inc., ASBCA No. 56358, 12-1 BCA ¶ 35,001.
- United States ex rel. Ubl v. IIF Data Solutions, 650 F.3d 445 (4th Cir. 2011).
- Kellogg Brown & Root Services, Inc., ASBCA No. 56358, 11-1 BCA ¶ 34,614.
- Alion Science & Technology Corp. v. United States, 74 Fed. Cl. 372 (2006).
- Alion Science & Technology Corp., B- 297022.4 et al., 2006 CPD ¶ 146.
- Europe Displays, Inc., B- 297099, 2005 CPD ¶ 214.
- Alion Science & Technology Corp. v. United States, 69 Fed. Cl. 14 (2005).
- Lockheed Martin Simulation, Training & Support, B- 292836.8 et al., 2005 CPD ¶ 27.
- Lockheed Martin Information Systems, B- 292836 et al., 2003 CPD ¶ 230.
- ITT Avionics Div., ASBCA No. 52468 et al., 03-1 BCA ¶ 32,238.
- Chambers USA: Government Contracts (Nationwide), 2020 - 2021
- Legal 500: Government: Government Contracts, 2021
- Law360 MVP: Government Contracts, 2019
- Washington, DC Super Lawyers®, Government Contracts, 2017 - 2021
- Law360 Rising Star, Government Contracts, 2015
- DC Bar Capital Pro Bono Honor Roll, 2020
- Secretary, Section of Public Contract Law, American Bar Association
- Co-Chair, Accounting, Cost & Pricing Committee, Section of Public Contract Law, American Bar Association
- Vice-Chair, Contract Claims & Disputes Resolution Committee, Section of Public Contract Law, American Bar Association
- Vice-Chair, Commercial Products & Services Committee, Section of Public Contract Law, American Bar Association
- Immediate Past President, Boards of Contract Appeals Bar Association
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
United States Court of Federal Claims
United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
District of Columbia