Sandeep A. Prasanna* is a Senior Associate in the Litigation department, focusing on congressional investigations, internal investigations, and other complex civil litigation matters.
Prior to joining Miller & Chevalier, Sandeep was an investigative counsel on the Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the U.S. Capitol. In that role, Sandeep conducted depositions and interviews of nearly 100 witnesses, provided strategic and legal guidance on novel congressional investigations issues, managed the intake and follow-up for thousands of confidential tips, and worked closely with the legal and communications teams to produce the Committee's public-facing work, including the nationally televised hearings and the final report.
Sandeep brings significant government and political experience to Miller & Chevalier. As a day-one presidential appointee in the Department of Justice (DOJ), Sandeep guided several nominees through the Senate confirmation process, providing them with strategic advice on political and legal issues, preparing them for hearing testimony, and helping them develop bipartisan relationships and support in Congress. He also represented DOJ on Capitol Hill, engaging often with elected officials and their staff on proposed legislation and congressional oversight. Previously, as the top counterterrorism advisor to Chairman Bennie G. Thompson (D-MS) on the U.S. House Committee on Homeland Security, Sandeep led investigations, hearings, and the successful passage of several House bills, often working closely with the minority staff and external stakeholders to win bipartisan support.
Sandeep began his career in government as a legal advisor to two senior senators. As a Judiciary Committee aide to Senator Richard Blumenthal (D-CT), Sandeep advised on judicial nominations and civil rights issues and drafted landmark hate crimes legislation that was signed into law in 2021. Subsequently, Sandeep served as the top legal advisor to former Senator Bill Nelson (D-FL), providing policy and political guidance on a range of sensitive issues.
Sandeep is an adjunct professor at Georgetown University Law Center, where he teaches a seminar on ethics, professional responsibility, and career development. During law school, Sandeep served as Co-Editor-in-Chief and Symposium Director of the Journal of International Law & Foreign Affairs.
*Admitted in New York. Not admitted in the District of Columbia. Practicing under the supervision of a member of the DC Bar.
- Participated in the most comprehensive congressional investigation in modern history, conducting depositions and interviews — often involving challenging or hostile witnesses, and providing strategic advice and guidance to elected officials and others on complex congressional investigations issues.
- Guided several senior DOJ officials through Senate hearings and confirmation from start to finish.
- Represented DOJ in engagements with Congress, working with elected officials and congressional staff on oversight and legislation.
- Led investigations, hearings, and bipartisan legislative negotiations as a top policy and legal advisor on a U.S. House committee.
- Served as legal advisor to two senior senators on a range of sensitive and complex issues before the Senate Judiciary Committee and other committees.
- Investigative Counsel, U.S. House Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the U.S. Capitol, 2021 - 2022
- Attorney Advisor (Presidential Appointee), Office of Legislative Affairs, U.S. Department of Justice, 2021
- Staff Director & Counsel, Subcommittee on Intelligence & Counterterrorism, U.S. House Committee on Homeland Security, 2019 - 2021
- General Counsel, Senator Bill Nelson, U.S. Senate, 2018 - 2019
- Legislative Aide, Senate Judiciary Committee, Senator Richard Blumenthal, 2016 - 2018
- Adjunct Professor, Georgetown University Law Center, 2019 - present
- Member, South Asian Bar Association of Washington, DC
- New York