- J.D.Cornell Law Schoolcum laude2002
- B.A.Brown Universitymagna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa1998
Michael Satin defends individuals and entities in white collar criminal investigations and trials. He also handles complex civil litigation in a variety of matters. In addition to his litigation and trial work, he conducts sensitive corporate internal investigations, and he has significant experience advising clients facing parallel criminal investigations and civil proceedings.
Recognized by The Best Lawyers in America® for his work in white collar criminal defense, Mr. Satin is an accomplished trial lawyer who has tried dozens of cases as lead counsel before juries and judges in federal and state courts. He has handled matters involving a wide array of subject matters, including securities fraud, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), breach of fiduciary duty, the False Claims Act (FCA), and the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO). He has defended clients in investigations conducted by the Department of Justice (DOJ), the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC), and other agencies and entities.
His current or recent representations of individuals include:
- Representing senior executives at a multinational financial services company in connection with DOJ, SEC, and OCC investigations into securities fraud and unsafe and unsound banking practices;
- Representing a senior pharmaceutical executive in connection with the national prescription opioid litigation;
- Defending an individual charged in federal court with interfering with the protective functions of the state department (case pending);
- Defending at trial a business owner charged in federal court in Alaska with misrepresentation of art (full acquittal); and
- Defending a lawyer charged with felony offenses and facing disbarment (case dismissed, records sealed, and no sanction from the bar).
His current or recent representations of entities include:
- Representing an international religious organization in a breach of fiduciary duty lawsuit;
- Conducting an internal investigation of a major hospital following the death of a care provider;
- Defending a health care provider accused in a qui tam action of defrauding Medicare;
- Conducting an internal investigation of a software company alleged to have engaged in FCPA violations; and
- Defending a foreign government in complex, multijurisdictional civil litigation that culminated in a six-week jury trial in federal court in New York (case dismissed on appeal on jurisdictional grounds raised before trial court).
Mr. Satin began his legal career at the nation's premier public defender office, the Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia (PDS), where he rose to the level of Supervising Attorney and Training Director. He continues to teach trial advocacy for attorneys and law students in Washington, DC and throughout the United States.
A former Division I athlete, he enjoys playing and coaching lacrosse, ice hockey, and tennis. He is also active in organizations dedicated to criminal justice reform.
- Training Director, Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia (2010-2012)
- Supervising Attorney, Trial Division, Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia (2007-2010)
- Staff Attorney, Trial Division, Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia (2002-2007)
- The Best Lawyers in America®: Criminal Defense: White Collar, 2020
- Legal 500: Dispute Resolution: White-Collar Criminal Defense, 2016
- Faculty Member, Harvard Law School’s Trial Advocacy Workshop (2012-present)
- Faculty Member, National Institute of Trial Advocacy’s Intensive Trial Training Program (2013-present)
- Member, Board of Directors, Justice Policy Institute (JPI) (2015-present)
- Chair, Lawyers Committee, Free Minds Book Club and Writing Workshop
- Member, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (2013-present)
- Adjunct Professorial Lecturer, American University Washington College of Law (2012-2013)
- Adjunct Professor, Cornell Law School (Fall 2009, Spring 2012)
District of Columbia
Washington, DC, August 16, 2019 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered is pleased to announce that 26 firm lawyers were selected as top Washington, DC, practitioners in The Best Lawyer
Miller & Chevalier is pleased to announce that the firm was recognized as a "Gold Level Donor" to the DC Bar's Raising the Bar campaign.
Michael Satin will present at the American Bar Association Section of International Law 2019 Annual Conference in Washington, DC, on April 10, 2019. Satin will moderate the panel, "Corporate Requi
Washington, DC, October 26, 2018 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered proudly announces that the firm was named as one of the top 30 investigations practices globally in the Glob
Miller & Chevalier is pleased to announce that the firm was one of only five law firms in Washington, DC, to increase its commitment level to the D.C. Bar's Raising the Bar campaign.