- J.D.Cornell Law Schoolcum laude2002
- B.A.Brown Universitymagna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa1998
Michael Satin represents individuals and entities in white collar criminal investigations and trials and in complex civil litigation. He also conducts internal investigations of companies. His experience includes matters involving all types of fraud, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), breach of fiduciary duty, and the False Claims Act (FCA). He has represented clients in investigations conducted by the Department of Justice (DOJ), the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), the Department of Treasury, and other agencies and entities.
Mr. Satin is an experienced trial lawyer, who has tried dozens of cases as lead counsel before juries and judges in federal and state courts throughout the United States. His first goal in any case is to obtain his client's desired outcome without resorting to litigation and trial. But if the case requires litigation and trial, he relies on his extensive trial experience in dozens of high-stakes cases to win at trial.
His current or recent representations of individuals include:
- Representing senior executives at a multinational financial services company in connection with securities fraud and unsafe and unsound banking practices investigations conducted by the DOJ, the SEC, and the OCC;
- Defending at trial a business owner charged in federal court with misrepresentation of art (full acquittal); and
- Defending a lawyer charged with felony offenses and facing disbarment (case dismissed, records sealed, and no sanction from the bar).
His current or recent representations of entities include:
- Conducting an internal investigation of a software company alleged to have engaged in FCPA violations;
- Representing a health care provider accused in a qui tam action of defrauding Medicare;
- Representing a religious organization in connection with the illegal takeover of a non-profit corporation; and
- Defending a foreign sovereign in a complex, multijurisdictional civil litigation matter that culminated in a six-week jury trial in federal court in New York (case dismissed on appeal on jurisdictional grounds raised before trial court).
Mr. Satin developed his skills in and out of the courtroom at the nation's premier public defender office, the Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia (PDS), where he rose to the level of Supervising Attorney and Training Director. He continues to teach trial advocacy for attorneys and law students in Washington, DC and throughout the United States.
A former Division I athlete, he enjoys playing and coaching lacrosse, ice-hockey, and tennis.
- Training Director, Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia (2010-2012)
- Supervising Attorney, Trial Division, Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia (2007-2010)
- Staff Attorney, Trial Division, Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia (2002-2007)
- Legal 500: Dispute Resolution: White-Collar Criminal Defense, 2016
- Faculty Member, Harvard Law School’s Trial Advocacy Workshop (2012-present)
- Faculty Member, National Institute of Trial Advocacy’s Intensive Trial Training Program (2013-present)
- Member, Board of Directors, Justice Policy Institute (JPI) (2015-present)
- Chair, Lawyers Committee, Free Minds Book Club and Writing Workshop
- Member, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (2013-present)
- Adjunct Professorial Lecturer, American University Washington College of Law (2012-2013)
- Adjunct Professor, Cornell Law School (Fall 2009, Spring 2012)
District of Columbia
Michael Satin will present at the American Bar Association Section of International Law 2019 Annual Conference in Washington, DC, on April 10, 2019. Satin will moderate the panel, "Corporate Requi
Washington, DC, October 26, 2018 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered proudly announces that the firm was named as one of the top 30 investigations practices globally in the Glob
Miller & Chevalier is pleased to announce that the firm was one of only five law firms in Washington, DC, to increase its commitment level to the D.C. Bar's Raising the Bar campaign.
Washington, DC, October 27, 2017 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered proudly announces that the firm was named as one of the top 30 investigations practices globally in the Glob
Washington, DC, May 12, 2017 – Miller & Chevalier is pleased to announce that the firm was named the 2017 Pro Bono Firm of the Year by the D.C. Bar.