- J.D.University of North Carolina School of Lawcum laude2010
- M.Sc.City College of New Yorkwith honors2006
- B.A.Williams College2004
Maria Lapetina is Counsel in the International Department of Miller & Chevalier Chartered. Her practice focuses on internal and government investigations, regulatory compliance, and complex cross-border litigation. She frequently conducts internal investigations on behalf of audit committees and special committees concerning potential violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), anti-money laundering (AML) regulations, and allegations relating to potential accounting and disclosure irregularities and instances of potential insider trading.
Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Lapetina worked as counsel for an Am Law 200 firm where she regularly represented multinational companies, ﬁnancial institutions, international development banks, and their officers and directors in connection with investigations before the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), and numerous other domestic and foreign regulatory and government bodies.
Ms. Lapetina is ﬂuent in Spanish.
- Represented a Latin American sports marketing and production company in connection with DOJ and other investigations pertaining to allegations of bribery, fraud, and money laundering arising out of the FIFA scandal and related civil actions.
- Represented senior executives in connection with the DOJ's widespread investigation into allegations of bribery and corruption involving the Venezuelan state-owned oil and gas company, Petróleos de Venezuela, S.A. (PDVSA).
- Represented one of Latin America's largest industrial conglomerates in connection with internal and government investigations relating to the cuadernos scandal in Argentina.
- Represented the head equities trader of a multinational investment bank in connection with investigation by foreign regulator that the bank's trading had violated local securities laws as well as follow-on U.S. investigations by FINRA and the SEC.
- Represented the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) to enforce loan guarantees extended by Argentine affiliates of a Brazilian-based borrower. Obtained a favorable outcome on summary judgment for more than US$168 million.
- Represented the CEO of a U.S. broker-dealer indicted on 15 counts in the Southern District of New York (SDNY) for FCPA violations arising from bond trading for a Venezuelan bank.
- Latinvex Latin America's Top 100 Female Lawyers: FCPA & Fraud, 2020
District of Columbia
New York (inactive)
Miller & Chevalier and Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uría will present, "Opportunities a
Miller & Chevalier and Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uría will present, "Trends an
Miller & Chevalier and Albagli Zaliasnik will present "The Challenges of Transnational Compliance," on April 8, 2021, 10:00am Chilean time.
Washington, DC, March 22, 2021 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered announced today that the firm was named a Top International Law Firm by Latinvex, a well-known publisher