- J.D.Georgetown University Law Center1972
- B.S.Georgetown University1968
Alexander Zakupowsky handles federal tax controversy matters at all judicial and administrative levels. His practice focuses in particular on tax accounting, transfer pricing, and tax matters specific to a number of industries. He has first chair litigation experience. In addition, he has handled legislative and policy matters for taxpayers and industry groups.
Mr. Zakupowsky resolves issues of importance to specific industries and coalitions of taxpayers with the IRS and the Treasury's Office of Tax Policy. He has extensive experience with a number of IRS administrative and compliance programs.
Mr. Zakupowsky has served as outside tax counsel to a number of industry associations including long-standing relationships with the Edison Electric Institute and the American Gas Association.
Clients quoted by Chambers emphasize that Mr. Zakupowsky has "great judgment," emphasizing "his ability to take what is generally a very complex issue and simplify it into a concrete, yet simple idea for how to get things done."
Before joining Miller & Chevalier in 1984, Mr. Zakupowsky served as an adviser to the Assistant Secretary of Tax Policy for the U.S. Department of the Treasury and was a partner in a Big-4 accounting firm.
Mr. Zakupowsky is a frequent speaker on tax matters.
- Represented two coalitions of taxpayers in obtaining published guidance from the IRS on specific tax matters to substantially reduce administrative burden and controversy.
- Represented foreign-based multinational corporations in obtaining a number of successful advance pricing agreements and competent authority agreements.
- Litigated and successfully settled a $100 million plus tax controversy filed in a U.S. District Court.
- Advisor to the Assistant Secretary for Tax Policy, U.S. Department of the Treasury, 1976 - 1978
- Chambers USA: Tax (District of Columbia), 2010 - 2018
- International Tax Review: Tax Controversy Leaders (U.S.), 2017
- Washington, DC Super Lawyers®: Tax, 2007 - 2011, 2013 - 2018
- The Best Lawyers in America®: Litigation & Controversy - Tax, 2011 - 2019
- The Best Lawyers in America®: Tax Law, 2018 - 2019
- Legal 500: Tax: Domestic Tax, 2015
- Member, Section of Taxation, American Bar Association
- Former Chair, Tax Accounting Problems Committee, American Bar Association
- Vice Chair, Tax & Accounting Committee, Public Utility, Communications and Transportation Section, American Bar Association
District of Columbia
James Warren and Alexander Zakupowky will be speaking at the Edison Electric Institute (EEI) and American Gas Association (AGA) Taxation Committee Meeting in Austin, Texas, on November 12, 2018.
Washington, DC, August 15, 2018 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered today announced that 21 firm lawyers were selected as top Washington, DC, practitioners in The Best Lawyers in Am
James I. Warren and Alexander Zakupowsky will present during Edison Electric Institute's (EEI) 2018 Taxation Committee Meeting on June 25, 2018.
Miller & Chevalier is pleased to announce that the firm was one of only five law firms in Washington, DC, to increase its commitment level to the D.C. Bar's Raising the Bar campaign.
James I. Warren and Alexander Zakupowsky will present during the American Gas Association (AGA) Taxation Committee Meeting from June 3-6, 2018.
Park City, UT
In this article, Alex Zakupowsky discusses concerns related to the analysis in the Clean Coalition's recently published report titled "Net metering & feed-in tariffs: Understanding the tax impl
On December 23, 2011, Treasury and the Internal Revenue Service ("IRS") issued temporary and proposed regulations governing the treatment of expenditures related to tangible property (the "Repair R