- J.D.Duke University School of Lawcum laude2009
- A.B.Dartmouth Collegemagna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa2005
Margot Laporte's practice focuses on cross-border internal and regulatory investigations, white collar criminal defense, securities enforcement matters, and regulatory compliance, including with respect to the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), anti-money laundering regulations, economic sanctions laws, insider trading, and accounting fraud. She regularly advises multinational clients facing complex multi-jurisdictional regulatory, litigation, and reputational risk arising from enforcement matters.
Ms. Laporte has represented global public companies, boards of directors, audit committees, financial institutions, hedge funds, and senior officers in enforcement matters before numerous U.S. and foreign regulators, including the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), and the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), as well as the French Autorité des marches financiers (AMF) and other foreign regulators.
Ms. Laporte has conducted complex internal and regulatory investigations on behalf of clients in Africa, Asia, Europe, Latin America, and Russia. Her experience includes developing and executing investigative plans, performing witness interviews, presenting to regulators and external auditors, and supervising investigative teams.
Ms. Laporte also provides regular counseling to clients regarding transactional due diligence and compliance with anti-corruption, anti-money laundering, economic sanctions, and insider trading requirements.
Ms. Laporte is fluent in French and proficient in Spanish.
Prior to joining Miller & Chevalier, Ms. Laporte was an associate at Richards Kibbe & Orbe LLP. In addition, she served as a judicial intern to the Honorable Sonia Sotomayor on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. Ms. Laporte began her career as an associate at Debevoise & Plimpton LLP.
- Represented the board of directors of a state-owned integrated oil, natural gas, and energy company in connection with regulatory investigations and civil litigation in the U.S. and Brazil arising out of Brazil's Operation Car Wash corruption investigation.
- Represented a global hedge fund in an insider trading investigation and proceedings conducted by the French AMF.
- Represented the audit committee of a public global asset manager in connection with an independent FCPA investigation, interaction with U.S. regulators, and evaluation of internal controls and compliance systems.
- Obtained declinations from the DOJ and SEC on behalf of a Fortune 100 company in an investigation relating to alleged FCPA violations by the company's French subsidiary.
- Represented the audit committee of a U.S.- and Canadian-listed public company in an independent investigation into revenue recognition and reserve accounting issues.
- Represented senior employees of a French bank in investigations by U.S. criminal authorities relating to allegations of FCPA and economic sanctions violations.
- Obtained a declination from the SEC on behalf of the chief financial officer of a business development company in an investigation relating to allegations of accounting fraud.
- Represented the chief executive officer of a multinational technology company in an investigation by the DOJ and SEC relating to allegations of FCPA violations involving permitting processes in India.
- Advised a global biopharmaceutical company regarding FCPA compliance and third-party due diligence.
- Developed and implemented an anti-corruption, economic sanctions, and anti-money laundering compliance program for a real estate investment firm operating in the CIS region.
- DC Bar Capital Pro Bono High Honor Roll, 2011 - 2012, 2016 - 2017
- Leadership Counsel on Legal Diversity (LCLD) Pathfinder Program, 2018
- Vice-Chair, International Securities Law Sub-Committee of the DC Bar, 2017 - 2018
- Member, Women's White Collar Defense Association
- Member, American Bar Association TIPS Animal Law Committee
District of Columbia
- Judicial Intern, Honorable Sonia Sotomayor, United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
Margot Laporte will speak on a panel of FCPA practitioners at Georgetown University Law Center in Washington, DC, on January 10, 2019.
Margot Laporte will speak at a panel discussion hosted by the European American Chamber of Commerce on October 30, 2018, in New York, NY. The panel, "U.S.
New York, NY
Margot Laporte will speak on a Knowledge Group webcast titled, "FCPA Compliance and M&A Transactions: Due Diligence, Integration, Investigations, and Controls," on February 28, 2018. Laporte wi
Margot Laporte will speak on the Knowledge Group's live webcast, "FCPA Enforcement Trends and Patterns: Retrospect and Predictions in 2017" on June 8, 2017.
Margot Laporte will speak on a panel of FCPA practitioners at Georgetown University Law Center in Washington, DC, on January 9, 2015.
In this chapter of Global Investigation Review's 2019 Practitioner's Guide to Global Investigations, Margot Laporte discusses what counsel should anticipate in cross-border invest
In this article, Margot Laporte discusses the first coordinated resolution by U.S. and French authorities in a foreign bribery case.
In this chapter of Global Investigation Review's 2018 Practitioner's Guide to Global Investigations, Margot Laporte discusses what counsel should anticipate in cross-border invest
In this article, Margot Laporte discusses lessons learned from Equifax and provides suggestions for companies seeking to re-evaluate their insider trading policies in light of evolving legal and re
In this chapter of Global Investigation Review's 2017 Practitioner's Guide to Global Investigations, William Barry and Margot Laporte discusses what counsel should anticipate in c