Lisandra Ortiz centers her practice on federal tax controversy matters, particularly those related to international tax and transfer pricing.
Ms. Ortiz was a key member of the team representing a taxpayer in a multi-billion dollar transfer pricing case before the U.S. Tax Court, where she managed discovery; worked closely with the client to develop facts; drafted pleadings, briefs, stipulations, and discovery responses and requests; presented a fact witness at trial and prepared others for their testimony; and worked with expert witnesses to develop reports and testimony. In addition, Ms. Ortiz has experience handling tax refund litigation cases before the U.S. Court of Federal Claims.
Beyond the courtroom, Ms. Ortiz's practice encompasses advising clients on the resolution of cross-border double taxation disputes through the competent authority process, negotiating advance pricing agreements between the IRS and other tax authorities, and representing clients in transfer pricing audits before the IRS.
While attending Georgetown University Law Center, Ms. Ortiz served as the Executive Notes Editor for The Tax Lawyer and was awarded the Sewall Key Award for Best Scholastic Record in Taxation.
- The Coca-Cola Company v. Comm'r, Tax Court Dkt. 31183-15. Represent taxpayer in transfer-pricing dispute; trial completed in May 2018.
- Legal 500: Tax: U.S. Taxes: Contentious, 2021 - 2022; Rising Star, 2021 - 2022
- The Best Lawyers in America®: Litigation and Controversy - Tax (Ones to Watch), 2022 - 2023
- The Best Lawyers in America®: Tax Law (Ones to Watch), 2022 - 2023
- International Tax Review: Rising Stars Awards 2021 Americas, Transfer Pricing, 2021
- DC Bar Capital Pro Bono High Honor Roll, 2015 - 2016, 2019
- DC Bar Capital Pro Bono Honor Roll, 2014, 2017, 2020
- Member, Taxation Community, District of Columbia Bar
- Member and Steering Committee Member, Section on Taxation, Federal Bar Association
- Member, Section of Taxation, American Bar Association
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD) Pathfinder Program, 2019
- District of Columbia
- United States Tax Court