Alex Sarria is an experienced litigator and counselor with wide-ranging expertise in government contracts law. He represents government contractors in contract disputes, bid protests, False Claims Act lawsuits, and complex civil litigation arising from military operations, national security programs, and environmental remediation projects.
Named one of the "Top Lawyers Under 40" by the Hispanic National Bar Association in 2020, leading government contractors also turn to Mr. Sarria to investigate allegations of procurement fraud, prepare mandatory disclosures, and defend against government audits and investigations. In his counseling practice, Mr. Sarria advises clients on a wide range of federal procurement matters including cost allowability and cost accounting, defective pricing, Buy American Act (BAA)/Trade Agreements Act (TAA) compliance, intellectual property and data rights, supply chain (Section 889) and cybersecurity regulations (CMMC), subcontract pricing and flowdowns, commercial items and General Services Administration (GSA) schedule contracting, organizational conflicts of interest (OCIs), and business ethics and conduct requirements.
He also is recognized for his unique experience helping companies identify and mitigate their exposure to potential civil and tort liability and has worked with clients in numerous industries to secure liability protection and indemnification under the SAFETY Act, Public Law 85-804, the Price Anderson Act, the Defense Base Act (DBA), and FAR 52.228-7 (Insurance-Liability to Third Persons).
Mr. Sarria began his career in the highly-regarded government contracts group of McKenna Long & Aldridge LLP, where he practiced for seven years.
- Successfully represented BGOV200 government contractor in a GAO bid protest of a multi-million dollar Navy procurement for base operations support at the Naval Air Station Patuxent River (NAS Pax River)
- Successfully represented medical claims processing contractor before GAO in a bid protest of a multi-million dollar Veterans Affairs (VA) procurement.
- Successfully represented the first public utility in the United States to obtain liability protection under the SAFETY Act for its anti-terrorism security program.
- Successfully represented a Washington Technology Top 100 government contractor as co-lead counsel in a $55 million Contract Disputes Act (CDA) dispute with the Army regarding the allowability of private security costs. Participated in five-week bench trial and authored briefs that resulted in complete victories for the contractor at the Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals (ASBCA) and the Federal Circuit.
- Successfully represented a Washington Technology Top 100 government contractor in a wrongful employment termination suit arising from a Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) environmental remediation project at the Kingston Fossil Plant in Tennessee.
- Successfully represented a Washington Technology Top 100 government contractor in a $12 million prime-subcontractor dispute litigated in U.S. District Court.
- Successfully asserted the government contractor defense on behalf of a Top 20 federal government contractor in a tort suit arising from Department of Homeland Security's (DHS) use of cargo scanning equipment at the U.S.-Mexico border.
- Represented a Washington Technology Top 100 government defense contractor in a $21 million CDA dispute with the Army over unpaid award fees. Litigated before the U.S. Court of Federal Claims and obtained settlement for more than 99 percent of the claimed amount.
- Represented two Fortune 500 companies in a $2 billion class action for alleged non-payment of Defense Base Act (DBA) benefits. Successfully litigated the matter before the U.S. District Court, Court of Appeals, and the Supreme Court.
- Represented a Top 10 government contractor in a high-profile products liability suit arising from the crash of a military fighter jet during a classified operation. Successfully removed the case from state to U.S. Federal Court.
- Successfully prosecuted bid protest of multi-million-dollar Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) procurement before the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO).
- Lead counsel in bid protest of multi-million-dollar Veterans Affairs (VA) procurement for home oxygen services before the GAO.
- Successfully prosecuted multiple bid protests of multi-million-dollar Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) procurements before the GAO.
- Legal 500: Government: Government Contracts, 2021
- Top Lawyers Under 40 Award, Hispanic National Bar Association, 2020
- Washington, DC Super Lawyers®: Rising Star, Government Contracts, 2018
- Vice Chair, Contract Claims and Disputes Resolution Committee, Section of Public Contract Law, American Bar Association (ABA)
- Vice Chair, Battlespace and Contingency Procurements Committee, Section of Public Contract Law, ABA
- Procurement Division & Legal Committee, National Defense Industrial Association (NDIA)
- Member, Cuban American Bar Association
United States Court of Federal Claims
United States District Court for the District of Columbia
United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
District of Columbia
- Judicial Intern, Honorable Judge Shelby Highsmith, United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida, 2005