- LL.M.Georgetown University Law Centerwith distinction2006
- J.D.American University Washington College of Lawcum laude2002
- A.B.Davidson College1999
Loren Ponds centers her practice on providing strategic counsel to clients on legislative, regulatory, and other tax policy issues, as well as advising on technical tax matters related to transfer pricing and other international tax topics.
She advises clients on the impacts of tax policy, such as the implementation of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 (TCJA), and issues related to technical corrections, administrative guidance, and legislative amendments to various provisions. In addition, Ms. Ponds advises clients on Advance Pricing Agreements, mutual agreement procedure (MAP) negotiations, and international tax controversy matters before the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), intangible property transactions, and other transfer pricing and international tax issues.
Prior to joining Miller & Chevalier, Ms. Ponds served as Majority Tax Counsel to the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Ways and Means, where she developed, analyzed, and refined the international tax provisions of the TCJA.
Previously, Ms. Ponds served in Ernst & Young LLP's National Tax Department with a focus on transfer pricing and other international tax issues, where she counseled multinational companies on tax planning projects, including intellectual property planning, supply chain optimization, and restructurings.
Fluent in French and German, Ms. Ponds worked abroad as Ernst & Young's Global Transfer Pricing Operations Manager in Düsseldorf, Germany. Ms. Ponds was also a German Chancellor Fellow of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation at the Universität Hamburg-International Tax Institute in Germany, as well as a Trainee at the Organization for Economic Cooperation & Development in Paris, France.
- Majority Tax Counsel, U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Ways and Means, 2017 - 2018
- Staff Attorney, United States Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit, 2004 - 2005
- Legal 500: Government: Government Relations, 2019 - 2021
- Legal 500: Tax: International Tax, 2019 - 2021
- Legal 500: Tax: U.S. Taxes: Contentious, 2019
- Legal 500: Tax: U.S Taxes: Non-Contentious, 2019
- The Best Lawyers in America®: Tax Law, 2022
- DC Bar Capital Pro Bono Honor Roll, 2019 - 2020
- Chair, Taxation Community, District of Columbia Bar
- Member, Section of Taxation, American Bar Association
- Member, Section of Taxation, National Bar Association
- Member, Taxes Committee, International Bar Association
- Member, International Fiscal Association
District of Columbia
Kevin Kenworthy and Loren Ponds will speak at API's 86th Annual Federal Tax Forum on Septembe
Loren Ponds will speak at the 2021 WITA Virtual Intensive Trade Seminar on a panel titled, "International Tax and Trade," on September 13, 2021.
Washington, DC, August 19, 2021 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered is pleased to announce that 30 firm lawyers were selected as top Washington, DC, practitioners in The Best La
Tax Member Loren Ponds commented on the progress of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)'s proposals.
With the House of Representative's narrow passage of the budget resolution the Senate had endorsed the week before, the prospect for passing significant tax provisions via the reconciliation proces
Tax policy observers will be focused on the U.S.