- J.D.Columbia Law School2011
- B.A.Barnard College, Columbia Universitymagna cum laude2008
Ann Sultan's practice focuses on internal and government investigations, corporate compliance, and white collar defense related primarily to the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and anti-money laundering laws and regulations. Ms. Sultan advises clients, including public companies and senior executives, on a wide range of topics, such as compliance assessments, due diligence, risk management, Department of Justice (DOJ) and Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) enforcement actions, and interacting with external auditors in the context of accounting and financial reporting matters. Ms. Sultan works with companies on the design and implementation of ethics and compliance programs and currently serves in a leadership role on an Independent Monitor team focusing on human resources issues, including harassment and discrimination, on behalf of a regulatory agency in Massachusetts.
As a Russian speaker, Ms. Sultan often assists companies doing business in Eastern Europe and Central Asia. While at Miller & Chevalier, Ms. Sultan has spent time detailed to a client's European headquarters to assist on FCPA internal investigation and compliance matters.
Prior to joining Miller & Chevalier, Ms. Sultan practiced as a corporate attorney specializing in corporate governance and mergers and acquisitions and financings at an international firm. After graduating from Columbia Law School, Ms. Sultan completed a Postdoctoral Fellowship in Mediation at Columbia Law School.
While at Columbia Law School, Ms. Sultan served as the East European Law Editor of the Columbia Journal of European Law. Ms. Sultan was also the president of IMPACT, Columbia's student group dedicated to electoral participation and empowerment, and an officer of the Columbia Law Women's Association. During college, Ms. Sultan was a visiting student in Politics, Philosophy and Economics at St. Peter's College of Oxford University.
- Core team member on a large FCPA internal investigation, which involved the collection of relevant data across a range of nations in Europe and Central Asia, disclosures to the relevant government agencies and external auditor, related remediation efforts, coordination with counsel for board and other jurisdictions, representation of multiple employees in government interviews, and eventual multi-lateral international resolution including a 45 percent reduction from Sentencing Guidelines fine range.
- Investigation into accounting and internal governance/compliance issues at a non-U.S. headquartered company and its U.S. subsidiary, reporting results to the company's external auditor.
- Investigation into allegations of improper payments by employees and a third party of a U.S. company's Ukrainian subsidiary. Representation included reporting to the DOJ and resulted in no action taken against our client, the parent company, and its subsidiary.
- Investigation into multiple allegations of wrongdoing from various employees against senior management at a Russian subsidiary of a multinational oilfield services company, at the direction of its American parent company.
- Anti-corruption compliance risk assessment for an international oil company.
- Pro bono representation of a client who was unjustly discharged from the Army under "other than honorable" conditions. Miller & Chevalier secured a discharge upgrade, which enabled our client to receive needed medical benefits.
- Global Investigations Review: 40 Under 40, 2020
- Law360: Rising Star, Compliance, 2020
- Washington, DC Super Lawyers®: Rising Star, Criminal Defense: White Collar, International, 2019 - 2020
- DC Bar Capital Pro Bono Honor Roll, 2017 - 2018
- DC Bar Capital Pro Bono High Honor Roll, 2016
- Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar, Columbia Law School
- Programming Officer, Anti-Corruption Committee, International Bar Association
- Member, Steering Committee, and Newsletter Editor, Russia/Eurasia Committee, Section of International Law, American Bar Association
- Member, Steering Committee, Anti-Corruption Committee, Section of International Law, American Bar Association
- Member, U.S.-Russia Business Council
- Member, Young Lawyer's Committee, Women's White Collar Defense Association
- Board Member, Friends of CEELI Institute
District of Columbia
Ann Sultan was quoted on the penalty reductions received by J&F Investimentos in their settlement with the U.S.
Washington, DC, October 23, 2020 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered proudly announces that the firm was named as one of the top 30 investigations practices globally in the Glob
Ann Sultan will speak at the American Chamber of Commerce Ukraine Online Compliance Club Meeting on October 15, 2020. The meeting will be devoted to the discussion of the topic "Criminal Liability
Ann Sultan, Dan Wendt, and Greg Bates will speak at the Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics' (SCCE) Virtual 19th Annual Compliance & Ethics Institute on September 14-16, 2020.
Washington, DC, July 6, 2020 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered today announced that Ann Sultan, Member in the firm's International and White Collar Defense practice areas, was nam
In this article, James Tillen, Ann Sultan, and Brittany Neihardt* discuss updates to th
In this article, the first in a
In this article, Miller & Chevalier Members William Barry, Kirby Behre, and Ann Sultan discuss U.S.
On June 1, 2020, the Criminal Division of the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) issued updated guidance on the "Evaluation of Corporate Compliance Programs" (June 2020 Guidance).