Nicole Gökçebay is a Senior Associate in the International department. She focuses her practice on the design and implementation of international corporate compliance programs and internal and government investigations related primarily to the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and other anti-corruption and human rights standards. She has assisted with cross border internal and government investigations and compliance matters, with a focus on Latin America. She has also supported the development and maturation of global compliance programs for publicly traded companies under appointed monitorships.
Prior to law school, Ms. Gökçebay interned at Thomson Reuters in Istanbul, Turkey where she worked in news and media during Turkey's 2011 General Election. Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Gökçebay lived in Dublin, Ireland, where she was a summer associate at a commercial law firm and focused on banking and regulatory litigation arising out of the 2008 Irish Banking Crisis. She also served as a law clerk for Ireland's Refugee Legal Services and most recently at the Department of Homeland Security's Transportation Security Administration (TSA) in Washington, DC.
- Represented one of the world's largest multinational food producers in an internal review of certain cross-border transactions and food quality operations in Latin America.
- Represented a multinational oil company in an investigation into allegations of improper payments by employees of the U.S. company's Mexican subsidiary to a third party.
- Serves as a core member on an Independent Compliance Monitor team focusing on human resources issues, including harassment and discrimination, on behalf of a regulatory agency in Massachusetts.
- Pro bono: led an investigation into allegations of harassment and discrimination by a senior executive of a national non-profit organization.
- Law Clerk, Department of Homeland Security, Transportation Security Administration, 2017
- Law Clerk, Refugee Legal Services, Legal Aid Board – Dublin, Ireland: 2016, 2017
- DC Bar Capital Pro Bono High Honor Roll, 2019 - 2020
- District of Columbia
- New York