Maria Jones practices in the area of federal income taxation with a focus on tax controversy matters, including Internal Revenue Service (IRS) audits, IRS Appeals and tax litigation in the U.S. Tax Court, the Court of Federal Claims and Federal district courts. She has significant experience in matters involving the taxation of insurance companies, including deductibility of ceding commissions and reserves, deductibility of policyholder dividends, conversion of nonprofit insurance companies, captive insurance company issues, including IRC section 831(b) captives, and the provisions applicable to Blue Cross and Blue Shield plans.
Ms. Jones also advises clients on a wide range of other tax issues, including matters involving the Affordable Care Act, the valuation of intangible assets, charitable contributions of conservation easements, excise tax matters, and tax accounting matters. She has experience with IRS issue resolution procedures, including Pre-Filing Agreements, Fast Track Settlement and the Industry Issue Resolution (IIR) program. Ms. Jones is a member of the Board of Directors of the Insurance Tax Conference and is a frequent speaker on insurance tax and federal tax controversy issues. Ms. Jones is the President of the Miller & Chevalier Charitable Foundation. Ms. Jones is a former member of the firm's Executive Committee and was the Chair of the firm's Diversity, Equity and Inclusion committee until 2021.
- Lodge Holdings, LLC v. Commissioner, No. 11919-16 (Tax Court) (settled).
- Flat Rock Property Holdings, LLC v. Commissioner, No. 11719-16 (Tax Court) (settled).
- Railroad Holdings, LLC v. Commissioner, No. 11838-16 (Tax Court) (settled).
- Highmark Inc. v. United States, No. 1:17cv-00898-EHM (Fed. Cl.)
- Washington Mutual, Inc. et al. v. United States, 891 F. 3d 1016 (Fed. Cir. 2018).
- Washington Mutual, Inc. et al. v. United States, 856 F. 3d 711 (9th Cir. 2017).
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas v. Commissioner, No. 8088-08 (Tax Ct.) (settled).
- Washington Mutual, Inc. v. United States, 636 F. 3d 1207 (9th Cir. 2011).
- Louisiana Health Serv. & Indem. Co. v. United States, 104 A.F.T.R. 2d 2009-5194 (M.D. La. 2009).
- Hosp. Serv. Ass'n of Northeastern Pennsylvania v. United States, 78 Fed. Cl. 434 (2007).
- Capital Blue Cross v. Commissioner, 431 F.3d 117 (3d Cir 2005) (represented amicus curiae Blue Cross Blue Shield Association).
- Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Wyo. v. United States, No. 04-01791T (Fed. Cl.) (settled).
- Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Tenn. v. Commissioner, No. 10178-98 (Tax Ct.) (settled).
- Legal 500: Tax: U.S. Taxes: Contentious, 2017, 2020 - 2023
- The Best Lawyers in America®: Tax Law, 2018 - 2024
- International Tax Review: Women in Tax Leaders, 2015 - 2017, 2023 - 2024
- International Tax Review: Tax Controversy, 2014 - 2017, 2023 - 2024
- DC Bar Capital Pro Bono Honor Roll, 2018 - 2021
- Fellow, American College of Tax Counsel
- Member, Board of Directors, Insurance Tax Conference
- Member, Section of Taxation, American Bar Association
- District of Columbia
- Virginia (inactive)
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- United States Tax Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit