Laura Deegan* represents clients in a broad range of economic sanctions and export controls, anti-money laundering (AML), and complex national security matters. Ms. Deegan has had the unique experience of drafting and amending regulations, including framework, comprehensive regulations, and amendment packages, to implement complex economic sanctions authorities. She regularly advises on compliance with U.S. economic sanctions and embargo programs and develops strategies and recommendations to implement economic sanctions authorities and authorizations as requested by internal and external parties.
Prior to joining Miller & Chevalier, Ms. Deegan leveraged a wealth of experience drawing from government, in-house, and law firm roles. Most recently, she was a Sanctions Regulations Advisor in the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC)'s Regulatory Affairs division, handling several aspects of U.S. sanctions, such as licensing, crafting U.S. sanctions policy, and drafting of FAQs and regulations.
Ms. Deegan also spent time in OFAC's Enforcement, Compliance, and Analysis division, where she advised on sanctions compliance and frequently spoke about sanctions at international trade conferences and events. Prior to OFAC, she was the Americas Head of Sanctions at Barclays in New York, where she had oversight of Barclays sanctions compliance program, as well as internal sanctions investigations. Ms. Deegan also held positions at several financial institutions and was a corporate associate at White & Case in New York, where she focused on capital markets.
*Not admitted in the District of Columbia. Practicing under the supervision of a member of the DC Bar.
- Senior Compliance Officer, Compliance Division, Office of Foreign Assets Control, Department of the Treasury, 2023
- Sanctions Regulations Advisor, Regulatory Affairs Division, OFAC, Department of the Treasury, 2021 - 2023
- Legal Intern, Enforcement Division, U.S. Securities & Exchange Commission, 2011
- Legal Intern, Civil Division, U.S. Attorney's Office, 2010
- Deputy OFAC Officer for BarclayCard and Americas Head of Sanctions, Barclays, 2020
- Vice President, U.S. Economic Sanctions, HSBC, 2014 - 2019
- Assistant Vice President, Global Banking and Markets, HSBC, 2013 - 2014
- New York