- J.D.Stanford University1983
- B.S.Western Michigan University1980
Mark Rochon practices in the area of white collar defense in criminal and civil matters. He has conducted extensive internal investigations on behalf of multinational corporations and has represented them in significant matters under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA). Mr. Rochon was awarded the Chambers USA: 2017 Litigation: White Collar Crime & Government Investigations Award for Excellence; he was one of eight lawyers nationwide nominated for this recognition. Clients praise his ability to handle sensitive, highly complex matters, telling Chambers, "Mark possesses that rare combination of having the intellectual power to deal with very complicated issues, while also having the ability to communicate effectively with his audience, whether that's a jury, a judge or the government. I rate him one of the best lawyers I know, period." In addition to his work on behalf of entities, Mr. Rochon has represented individuals in connection with government contracting fraud investigations, export controls investigations, insider trading investigations, shareholder suits, accounting and bank fraud cases, and other fraud related allegations.
Mr. Rochon's practice frequently involves advising clients about the pitfalls inherent in parallel governmental inquiries and private litigation. He often represents multinational companies in connection with potential or ongoing Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and/or Department of Justice (DOJ) investigations, particularly in FCPA matters. He also served as lead counsel to a former outside Director of Enron in connection with the coordinated shareholder actions related to Enron’s bankruptcy. His internal investigations work has included matters arising across the world, often involving coordinated inquiries concerning his clients' overseas operations in multiple countries. He has also led worldwide FCPA due diligence inquiries in connection with client acquisitions.
Mr. Rochon has been lead counsel in more than 160 jury trials and has argued before appellate courts across the country. He frequently lectures on trial practice and internal investigations both to students and to practitioners. He is the Chair of the firm's White Collar practice group, and he has previously served the firm as Chair of the Litigation Department, as a member of the Executive Committee, as Chair of the Diversity Committee, and in other capacities.
Mr. Rochon served on a nuclear submarine in the U.S. Navy from 1975 to 1977.
- Trial Chief, Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia, 1988 - 1990
- Staff Attorney, Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia, 1983 - 1988
- Chambers USA: 2017 Litigation: White Collar Crime & Government Investigations Award for Excellence
- Chambers Global: FCPA (USA), 2016 - 2018
- Chambers USA: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations (District of Columbia), 2009 - 2018
- Chambers USA: FCPA (Nationwide), 2015 - 2018
- Ethisphere Institute's Attorneys Who Matter (Specialists - Private Practice), 2014
- Washington's Top Lawyers: Criminal Defense White Collar (Washingtonian Magazine), 2015 - 2017
- Washington's Top Lawyers: Trial Lawyers, Elite Criminal Defenders (Washingtonian Magazine), 2007 - 2014
- Ethisphere Institute's Attorneys Who Matter (Up and Comers/Rising Stars), 2010 - 2012
- The Best Lawyers in America®: Criminal Defense: White Collar, 2012 - 2018
- Benchmark Litigation Local Litigation Star: White-Collar Crime (District of Columbia), 2013 - 2016, 2018
- Guide to the World's Leading White Collar Crime Lawyers, 2010
- Who's Who Legal: The International Who's Who of Investigations Lawyers, 2014 - 2018
- Who's Who Legal: The International Who's Who of Business Crime Defence Lawyers, 2011 - 2017
- Who’s Who Legal: The International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers, 2011 - 2012
- Legal 500: Dispute Resolution: Corporate Investigations and White-Collar Criminal Defense, 2011 - 2018
- Legal 500: Dispute Resolution: International Trade, 2018
- Chair, FCPA Sub-Committee, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Member, White Collar Crime Committee, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Former Co-Chair, Business Crimes Section, International Bar Association
- Chair, Advisory Board of Law Students in Court
- Founding Board Member and Co-Chair, Southern Public Defender Training Center
- President, JusticeAid, a 501(c)(3) organization which promotes justice through the arts
- Former Chair, Judicial Evaluation Committee, District of Columbia Bar
District of Columbia
Washington, DC, May 30, 2018 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered announced today that the firm received practice and individual rankings in the 2018 edition of Legal 500 United
Washington, DC, May 3, 2018 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered today announced that the firm received multiple practice and individual lawyer rankings in the 2018 edition of Ch
Mark Rochon will present, as part of a panel, during the annual SEC/DOJ Enforcement 2018 Update on March 20, 2018.
Washington, DC, February 15, 2018 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered is pleased to announce that the firm and five of its lawyers were recognized in the 2018 edition of Chamber
Washington, DC, February 6, 2018 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered announced today that eight firm lawyers were recognized in the 2018 edition of Who's Who Legal: Investi
On April 11, 2012, NACDL participated in a roundtable discussion with senior government officials from the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), the U.S.
By now it is generally expected that corporations subject to the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act will conduct acquisition due diligence, including FCPA-focused due diligence, as part of most business
James Tillen and Mark Rochon comment that Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) due diligence expectations for acquiring companies have risen, and companies that do not include a significant FCPA co
Mark Rochon and Andy Wise note that the government’s investigation into the backdating of stock options for executives is expanding and all publicly traded companies must consider how the announcem
A Grand Jury in the Southern District of Texas recently handed down an indictment charging an individual with obstruction of justice for allegedly lying to outside counsel conducting an internal in