- J.D.Stanford Law School1983
- B.S.Western Michigan University1980
Mark Rochon practices in the area of white collar defense in criminal and civil matters. He has conducted extensive internal investigations on behalf of multinational corporations and has represented them in significant matters under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA). Mr. Rochon was awarded the Chambers USA: 2017 Litigation: White Collar Crime & Government Investigations Award for Excellence; he was one of eight lawyers nationwide nominated for this recognition. Clients praise his ability to handle sensitive, highly complex matters, telling Chambers, "Mark possesses that rare combination of having the intellectual power to deal with very complicated issues, while also having the ability to communicate effectively with his audience, whether that's a jury, a judge or the government. I rate him one of the best lawyers I know, period." In addition to his work on behalf of entities, Mr. Rochon has represented individuals in connection with government contracting fraud investigations, export controls investigations, insider trading investigations, shareholder suits, accounting and bank fraud cases, and other fraud related allegations.
Mr. Rochon's practice frequently involves advising clients about the pitfalls inherent in parallel governmental inquiries and private litigation. He often represents multinational companies in connection with potential or ongoing Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and/or Department of Justice (DOJ) investigations, particularly in FCPA matters. He also served as lead counsel to a former outside Director of Enron in connection with the coordinated shareholder actions related to Enron’s bankruptcy. His internal investigations work has included matters arising across the world, often involving coordinated inquiries concerning his clients' overseas operations in multiple countries. He has also led worldwide FCPA due diligence inquiries in connection with client acquisitions.
Mr. Rochon has been lead counsel in more than 160 jury trials and has argued before appellate courts across the country. He frequently lectures on trial practice and internal investigations both to students and to practitioners. He has previously served the firm as Chair of the firm's White Collar practice group, Chair of the Litigation Department, as a member of the Executive Committee, as Chair of the Diversity Committee, and in other capacities. Mr. Rochon is currently a graduate student at St. John's College in Santa Fe, NM, working on a Master's Degree in the Liberal Arts, but continues as a Member of the firm.
Mr. Rochon served on a nuclear submarine in the U.S. Navy from 1975 to 1977.
- Trial Chief, Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia, 1988 - 1990
- Staff Attorney, Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia, 1983 - 1988
- Chambers Global: FCPA (USA), 2016 - 2020
- Chambers USA: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations (District of Columbia), 2009 - 2019
- Chambers USA: FCPA (Nationwide), 2015 - 2019
- Chambers USA: Litigation: White Collar Crime & Government Investigations Award for Excellence, 2017
- The Best Lawyers in America®: Criminal Defense: White Collar, 2012 - 2021
- Who's Who Legal: Global Elite Thought Leader (Business Crime Defence), 2021
- Who's Who Legal: Business Crime Defence, 2011 - 2020
- Who's Who Legal: Investigations, 2014 - 2020
- Who's Who Legal: Thought Leaders – Investigations, 2019 - 2020
- Who's Who Legal: Thought Leaders – GIR, 2019
- Who's Who Legal: The International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers, 2011 - 2012
- Legal Media Group's Expert Guides: White Collar, 2018 - 2019
- Legal 500: Dispute Resolution: Corporate Investigations and White-Collar Criminal Defense, 2011 - 2020
- Legal 500: Dispute Resolution: International Trade, 2018
- Washington's Top Lawyers: Criminal Defense, White Collar (Washingtonian Magazine), 2015 - 2018
- Washington's Top Lawyers: Trial Lawyers, Elite Criminal Defenders (Washingtonian Magazine), 2007 - 2014
- Benchmark Litigation Local Litigation Star: White-Collar Crime (District of Columbia), 2013 - 2016, 2018
- DC Bar Capital Pro Bono High Honor Roll, 2017 - 2018
- DC Bar Capital Pro Bono Honor Roll, 2014
- Ethisphere Institute's Attorneys Who Matter (Specialists - Private Practice), 2014
- Ethisphere Institute's Attorneys Who Matter (Up and Comers/Rising Stars), 2010 - 2012
- Guide to the World's Leading White Collar Crime Lawyers, 2010
- Chair, FCPA Sub-Committee, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Member, White Collar Crime Committee, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Former Co-Chair, Business Crimes Section, International Bar Association
- Chair, Advisory Board of Law Students in Court
- Founding Board Member and Co-Chair, Southern Public Defender Training Center
- President, JusticeAid, a 501(c)(3) organization which promotes justice through the arts
- Former Chair, Judicial Evaluation Committee, District of Columbia Bar
District of Columbia
Washington, DC, January 25, 2021 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered proudly announced today that firm attorneys Matthew T.
Washington, DC, October 23, 2020 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered proudly announces that the firm was named as one of the top 30 investigations practices globally in the Glob
Washington, DC, September 9, 2020 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered proudly announced today that eight firm lawyers were recognized in the 2020 edition of Who's Who Legal: Bus
Washington, DC, August 20, 2020 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered is pleased to announce that 30 firm lawyers were selected as top Washington, DC, practitioners in The Best Lawyer
Washington, DC, June 22, 2020 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered announced today that the firm received numerous practice and individual rankings in the 2020 edition of Legal 5
In this article, Mark Rochon, Addy Schmitt, and Ia
On April 11, 2012, NACDL participated in a roundtable discussion with senior government officials from the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), the U.S.
By now it is generally expected that corporations subject to the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act will conduct acquisition due diligence, including FCPA-focused due diligence, as part of most business
James Tillen and Mark Rochon comment that Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) due diligence expectations for acquiring companies have risen, and companies that do not include a significant FCPA co
Mark Rochon and Andy Wise note that the government’s investigation into the backdating of stock options for executives is expanding and all publicly traded companies must consider how the announcem