Gregory W. Bates focuses his practice on corporate compliance program issues with a particular expertise in anti-corruption compliance programming. He is experienced in white collar matters, internal investigations, and risk mitigation, particularly those related to the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA). Mr. Bates played a leadership role in a Fortune 500 company's compliance program globally, having spent more than five years in-house in progressively more senior roles, culminating as the Compliance Director for the Latin American region and as counsel to global enterprise risk management and internal audit team. His role included overseeing compliance with the company's deferred prosecution agreement, consent agreement, and independent monitor. Mr. Bates is uniquely positioned to counsel clients on the risks and best practices associated with doing business internationally.
Prior to his in-house role, he was an associate at a law firm in Washington, DC, and Miami, where his practice focused on corporate compliance, anti-corruption, sanctions, and internal investigations.
- Compliance Director, Latin America Region, and Global Enterprise Risk Counsel, Avon
- The Best Lawyers in America®: Corporate Governance and Compliance Law (Ones to Watch), 2021 - 2022
- Legal 500: Dispute Resolution: International Trade, 2021
- Legal 500 Latin America: International Firms: Compliance and Investigations, Rising Star, 2022
- Latinvex Top 50 Rising Legal Star, 2018
- DC Bar Capital Pro Bono High Honor Roll, 2020
- Fulbright Scholar (Uruguay), 2001
- District of Columbia