Canadian Institute: 11th Annual Forum on U.S. Export & Re-Export Compliance for Canadian Operations
Timothy O'Toole will speak at the Canadian Institute's 11th Annual Forum on U.S. Export & Re-Export Compliance for Canadian Operations, a virtual conference, on January 25, 2022.
O'Toole will present, as part of a panel, the conference workshop titled "Remote, In-Person, and Hybrid Work Arrangements – The Biggest Lessons for Technology Transfers, Emails, Cloud, Network Access, and License Exceptions." Through a series of hypothetical scenarios and case studies, this workshop will debunk some of the most common and costly misconceptions around BIS, DDTC, Global Affairs Canada, and CGP requirements. Speakers will discuss topics including:
- Lessons for managing remote, in-person and hybrid work arrangements: The newest controls for technology transfers and data protection
- Comparing and contrasting regulations in the U.S. and Canada: Essential requirements for controlled data, emails, social media, cloud computing and encryption
- Concrete examples of how to strengthen your Technology Controls Plan (TCP) and Technology Transfer Controls Plan (TTCP)
- Heightened due diligence requirements for exporters and users of the cloud; what should (and shouldn't) be stored in the cloud?
- Best practices for managing travel and hand-carried data exports
- When and how to leverage EAR and ITAR license exceptions/exemptions for Canadian operations, and what can happen if they are not used correctly