C5's 7th Annual Conference on Anti-Corruption - Spain
Matteson Ellis will speak at C5's 7th Annual Conference on Anti-Corruption - Spain on November 7, 2019, in Madrid. Ellis will present, as part of a panel, "Spain & Latin America: Comparing and Contrasting the Biggest Risks, A Deep-Dive into Multi-Jurisdictional Challenges: The Domino Effect of Cross-Border Investigations and How to Decide Whether or Not to Disclose, and to Whom." The panel will discuss:
- The domino effect: How and when an investigation in one country can easily "spill over" into others
- When will multiple investigations be considered "piling on" as defined by the U.S. Department of Justice?
- Disclosure calculus: How to decide whether and how much to disclose to local (and international) enforcement authorities
- Main concerns when conducting an internal investigation in and between Spain and Latin America
- Which Latin American government authorities have the powers of investigation, prosecution, and enforcement in cases of bribery and corruption?
- The extent of corporate and individual liability of Spanish law if a Spanish multinational falls afoul of compliance rules abroad