C5 4th Advanced Conference on Anti-Corruption & Compliance Programmes Switzerland
William Barry and Brian Fleming will speak at the C5 4th Advanced Conference on Anti-Corruption & Compliance Programmes Switzerland, a virtual event, on September 23, 2020.
Barry will moderate the panel, "The Changing Face of Third-Party Management and Liability Risks: How Industry is Revisiting and Upgrading Due Diligence, Onboarding, and Monitoring." This session will cover:
- Best practices for implementing a risk-ranking and classification methodology for different types of risk (legal, operational, reputational) and third parties (agents, distributors)
- Understanding the local business environment, customs and practices and their impact on your third-party vetting and monitoring
- How companies are updating their risk-based programs and tailoring them to a specific country and/or region
- When and how much to train third parties, and how much is "too much"
- On the ground obstacles to monitoring and auditing third parties, including distribution and sub-distribution networks
- Concrete Examples of Effective Third-Party Management
Fleming will present, as part of a panel, "U.S. and EU Economic Sanctions Compliance in Practice: How Multinationals are Reconciling Varying Requirements and Agency Expectations." This panel will discuss:
- How the EU is taking a tougher stance on sanctions enforcement
- Reconciling conflicts between EU and U.S. Sanctions
- Industry compliance dilemmas: What to do in the event of persisting conflicts of law
- Special considerations for Venezuela, Iran, and Russia sanctions
- Practical strategies for managing increasing, cross-border enforcement risks