- J.D.University of Virginia School of Law2014
- B.A.University of Georgiamagna cum laude2010
Virginia Newman* focuses her practice on complex commercial litigation and white-collar criminal defense matters, including internal and government investigations involving the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA). She has worked on teams representing companies in significant U.S. and international matters, including the defense of a large financial institution in connection with foreign exchange investigations conducted by the Criminal Division of the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) and the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). She has extensive experience conducting internal investigations for multinational technology and telecommunications companies, particularly in Asia. Ms. Newman also advises clients in data management and cryptocurrency mining disputes.
Ms. Newman earned her Juris Doctor in 2014 from the University of Virginia, where she won the Jean-Pictet International Humanitarian Law Competition, and her Bachelor of Arts degree, magna cum laude, from the University of Georgia in 2010, where she was a recipient of the school's highest academic scholarship. She is admitted to practice in the State of New York.
Ms. Newman speaks, reads, and writes Mandarin Chinese. Prior to joining Miller & Chevalier, Ms. Newman practiced in the Hong Kong office of a large U.S. law firm as a Registered Foreign Lawyer.
*Admitted in New York. Not admitted in the District of Columbia. Practicing under the supervision of a member of the DC Bar.
- Advised multinational financial institution in settlement negotiations with DOJ and SEC of securities fraud investigation into alleged manipulation of LIBOR and other interest rate benchmarks and of investigation linked to foreign exchange trading overseas.
- Represented subsidiary of multinational financial and insurance corporation in $2 billion litigation involving RICO, breach of contract, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and unjust enrichment claims.
- Defended global asset management firm in shareholder securities and derivatives litigation for misrepresentation after failure to disclose FCPA investigation by DOJ and SEC.
- Conducted anti-corruption compliance due diligence for U.S.-listed technology company in advance of successful multi-billion-dollar minority investment into India's largest telecom operator.
- Represented U.S.-listed social media and fintech payments company in internal investigation into allegations of political bias.
- Represented U.S.-listed technology multinational in investigation into allegations of corruption, distributor kickbacks, and fraud in Asia-based subsidiary.
- Represented U.S.-listed telecommunications company in internal investigation into allegations of fraud in client's Chinese joint venture.
- Represented U.S.-listed company in internal investigation into circumstances surrounding arrest of company employee by Chinese enforcement authorities
- Fulbright Scholarship (China), U.S. Department of State, 2010 - 2011
- Intern, The Honorable John Lewis, U.S. House of Representatives, 2009
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Women's White Collar Defense Association
- Member, Fulbright Association
- Member, International Bar Association
Virginia Newman will participate in the virtual discussion, "How to Contract for Human Rights in the Supply Ch
John E. Davis, Ann Sultan, Virginia S. Newman, Ivo K.
In April, an importer filed a first-of-its-kind legal challenge to U.S. Customs and Border Protection's (CBP) enforcement of U.S.
A recent ruling issued by U.S.