- M.A.American University School of International Service2008
- J.D.American University Washington College of Lawcum laude2007
- B.S.University of Illinois at Chicago2000
Michael Skopets is a Senior Associate in the International Department. His practice focuses on anti-corruption investigations and compliance, particularly under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), and on issues relating to U.S. economic sanctions and export control laws. Mr. Skopets's fluency in Russian and Spanish contributes to the global nature of his practice, and he regularly performs client counseling, conducts witness interviews, and works with documents in both languages.
Mr. Skopets's anti-corruption practice includes addressing specific issues and general risks under the FCPA, conducting internal investigations related to allegations of fraud or corruption, performing due diligence, and conducting risk assessments. Mr. Skopets has also designed and drafted compliance programs and policies and has conducted training for clients and third parties. He has represented U.S. and foreign companies under investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) and the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and has represented clients in administrative proceedings under the World Bank's internal sanctions system.
With respect to economic sanctions and export controls, Mr. Skopets counsels clients in connection with regulations issued by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) and on issues arising under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and Export Administration Regulations (EAR). He advises clients regarding specific transactions or concerns, develops compliance policies and strategies, conducts internal investigations, and represents clients before the relevant enforcement authorities.
Mr. Skopets's clients include public and privately held companies, including state-controlled entities. Prior to joining Miller & Chevalier, he gained significant experience in complex civil litigation matters, most involving cross-border and intellectual property disputes, at two Am Law 100 firms. He also served as a law clerk to the Honorable R. Barclay Surrick at the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, assisting Judge Surrick in civil and criminal cases.
During law school, Mr. Skopets was an editor of the American University Law Review and a member of the Moot Court Honor Society, winning several awards at the Niagara International Moot Court Competition. Prior to entering the legal field, Mr. Skopets was a consultant at Deloitte, managing multi-organizational teams and developing process management solutions on large software development projects.
- Capital Pro Bono Honor Roll: 2016 High Honor Roll, 2017 Honor Roll
- Award for Excellence in Pro Bono Service, United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, 2014
- Member, Next Generation Board, United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
- Member, Steering Group, Eurasia/Russia Committee of the ABA Section of International Law
- Vice President, Member of Board of Governors, Washington Foreign Law Society
- Former Member, Board of Directors, HIAS Chicago (Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society of Chicago)
- Former Member, Advisory Council, Public International Law & Policy Group (PILPG)
- Former Member, Civic Leadership Council, Constitutional Rights Foundation Chicago
District of Columbia
- Clerk, The Honorable R. Barclay Surrick, United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Intern, The Honorable Royce C. Lamberth, United States District Court for the District of Columbia
Washington, DC, October 26, 2018 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered proudly announces that the firm was named as one of the top 30 investigations practices globally in the Glob
Michael Skopets will be speaking, as part of a panel, during the Financial Poise webinar, "Doing Business Abroad 101," on October 2, 2018.
Washington, DC, September 4, 2018 – Nearly three-quarters (71 percent) of respondents working in the Europe-Caucasus-Asia (ECA) region don't believe in the effectiveness of their c
Miller & Chevalier partnered with 10 regional law firms to conduct the inaugural 2018 Europe-Caucasus-Asia Corruption Survey, which published this week.
Miller & Chevalier is pleased to announce that the firm was one of only five law firms in Washington, DC, to increase its commitment level to the D.C. Bar's Raising the Bar campaign.
Maryna Kavaleuskaya, Ann Sultan, and Michael Skopets published an
On October 10, 2018, the U.S.
On August 13, 2018, the long-awaited, much-debated, F