- LL.M.Harvard Law School2013
- J.D.Belarusian State University2008
LanguagesBelarusian, Russian, Ukrainian
Maryna Kavaleuskaya is an Associate in the International Department. She is a common and civil law trained lawyer. Her practice focuses on matters involving the Foreign Corrupt Practice Act (FCPA), anti-corruption due diligence reviews and compliance audits, business and human rights, and other areas of international corporate compliance. In addition to her work at Miller & Chevalier, Ms. Kavaleuskaya served as a human rights and development consultant at The World Bank and as a rule of law consultant at The Rule of Law Initiative of the American Bar Association.
Prior to obtaining her LL.M. and J.D. in the United States, Ms. Kavaleuskaya practiced law in Minsk, Belarus, where her work on high-profile cases included the defense of a former presidential candidate. In addition to her practice in the area of Belarus' national law, she prepared complaints to the United Nations Human Rights Committee on violations of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) and participated in the Parliamentary Assembly of the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) as an expert on human rights in 2012.
On a pro bono basis, Ms. Kavaleuskaya worked with the Central European and Eurasian Law Initiative (CEELI) Institute, a post-graduate lawyer and judicial training institution in Prague. In the spring of 2014, she helped organize an anti-corruption training for a diverse group of some of the world's most experienced judges, prosecutors and investigators. In the scope of her pro bono work, Ms. Kavaleuskaya also worked on human rights-related multi-stakeholders initiatives in the high-tech sector.
In 2017, Ms. Kavaleuskaya graduated from the Transparency International's School on Integrity, where, in addition to being one of the students, she also conducted a training dedicated to the FCPA.
- Consultant, Human Rights and Development Issues, The World Bank, 2015 - 2016
- Intern, Legal Division of Consular Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Belarus, 2008
- The Best Attorney at Law, Alliance of Human Rights Organizations of Belarus, 2011
- Member, Washington, DC Planning Committee, Harvard Law School Women's Alliance
- Member, International Bar Association (Human Rights Law Committee, Women Lawyers' Interest Group, Young Lawyers' Committee, European Regional Forum, Corporate Social Responsibility Committee, Anti-Corruption Committee, Litigation Committee)
- Member, Young Professionals Network of the Eurasia Foundation, 2014 - 2015
- Consultant, Rule of Law Initiative, American Bar Association, 2014 - 2015
District of Columbia
Maryna Kavaleuskaya was profiled by Radio Liberty, a media outlet in her native Belarus, regarding her transition from a Belarusian attorney focusing on high-profile cases to joining Mille
Washington, DC, November 20, 2017 – Miller & Chevalier today announced that the firm was named the 2017 Corporate Investigations Law Firm of the Year in the International Couns
Washington, DC, October 27, 2017 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered proudly announces that the firm was named as one of the top 30 investigations practices globally in the Glob
Washington, DC, August 24, 2017 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered today announced that the firm was named a Top International Law Firm by Latinvex, a well-known publisher
Maryna Kavaleuskaya will be speaking during Transparency International School on Integrity (TISI) 2017 on July 12.
In this article, Maryna Kavaleuskaya discusses the state of corruption in Belarus, the nation's efforts to distance itself from Russia, and the positive outlook on the Belarusian investment climate