- LL.M.Harvard Law School2013
- J.D.Belarusian State University2008
LanguagesBelarusian, Russian, Ukrainian
Maryna Kavaleuskaya is an Associate in the International Department. She is a common and civil law trained lawyer. Her practice focuses on matters involving the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), anti-corruption due diligence reviews and compliance audits, business and human rights, and other areas of international corporate compliance. In addition to her work at Miller & Chevalier, Ms. Kavaleuskaya served as a human rights and development consultant at The World Bank and as a rule of law consultant at The Rule of Law Initiative of the American Bar Association.
Prior to obtaining her LL.M. in the United States, Ms. Kavaleuskaya practiced law in Minsk, Belarus, where her work on high-profile cases included the defense of a former presidential candidate. In addition to her practice in the area of Belarus' national law, she prepared complaints to the United Nations Human Rights Committee on violations of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) and participated in the Parliamentary Assembly of the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) as an expert on human rights in 2012.
On a pro bono basis, Ms. Kavaleuskaya worked with the Central European and Eurasian Law Initiative (CEELI) Institute, a post-graduate lawyer and judicial training institution in Prague. In the spring of 2014, she helped organize an anti-corruption training for a diverse group of some of the world's most experienced judges, prosecutors and investigators. In the scope of her pro bono work, Ms. Kavaleuskaya also worked on human rights-related multi-stakeholders initiatives in the high-tech sector.
In 2017, Ms. Kavaleuskaya graduated from the Transparency International's School on Integrity, where, in addition to being one of the students, she also conducted a training dedicated to the FCPA.
- Consultant, Human Rights and Development Issues, The World Bank, 2015 - 2016
- Intern, Legal Division of Consular Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Belarus, 2008
- DC Bar Capital Pro Bono High Honor Roll, 2018
- DC Bar Capital Pro Bono Honor Roll, 2017
- The Best Attorney at Law, Alliance of Human Rights Organizations of Belarus, 2011
- Co-Chair, Harvard Law School Women's Alliance, DC Chapter (HLSWA DC)
- Member, International Bar Association (Human Rights Law Committee, Women Lawyers' Interest Group, Young Lawyers' Committee, European Regional Forum, Corporate Social Responsibility Committee, Anti-Corruption Committee, Litigation Committee)
- Member, Young Professionals Network of the Eurasia Foundation, 2014 - 2015
- Consultant, Rule of Law Initiative, American Bar Association, 2014 - 2015
District of Columbia
Ukrainian Bar Association (status of participant)
Maryna Kavaleuskaya will speak at the University of Arkansas School of Law on February 5, 2020. Kavaleuskaya will focus on the state of the rule of law in ECA countries.
Washington, DC, October
International attorneys Ann Sultan and Maryna Kavaleuskaya will present the webinar, "Three Common Difficulties in Doing Business with State Owned Entities," on June 4, 2019. The webinar will be a
Miller & Chevalier is pleased to announce that the firm was recognized as a "Gold Level Donor" to the DC Bar's Raising the Bar campaign.
Ann Sultan and Maryna Kavaleuskaya will present at an international business integrity round table, "International Standards and Measures to Further Promote Business Integrity: Recommendations for
In this article, Maryna Kavaleuskaya discusses large-scale anti-