- M.A. (Law and International Affairs)American University School of International Service1990
- J.D.American University Washington College of Lawcum laude1989
- B.A. and B.S.Ohio Universitysumma cum laude1986
Erin Sweeney advises on all facets of healthcare, including Affordable Care Act (ACA) compliance, health privacy (HIPAA), welfare benefit claims, health insurance continuation (COBRA), U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) audits and investigations, and employee benefit plan administration, including the application of Title I of ERISA to such plans and compliance with the fiduciary rule. Ms. Sweeney counsels and represents parties in litigation regarding fiduciary obligations, including plan investments, fee disclosure, and prohibited transactions and exemptions. She also provides advice concerning post-retirement medical benefits and the employee benefits provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA).
Ms. Sweeney previously served as Senior Benefit Law Specialist for the Division of Fiduciary Interpretations at the DOL. She was appointed as the designated representative to quarterly DOL Office of Enforcement meetings and developed and conducted DOL auditor training. She was a primary architect of the DOL’s default investment regulation proposal that impacts mutual funds, investment managers, employers, and plan trustees. She received an Exceptional Achievement award for her participation in drafting the Pension Protection Act, the most significant pension legislation since the enactment of ERISA, which affects virtually all pension plans, employers, plan investment managers, and plan service providers. Ms. Sweeney also served as an expert witness for the United States in multiple ERISA matters.
Prior to joining Miller & Chevalier, Ms. Sweeney was Counsel at Latham & Watkins LLP, Paul Hastings LLP, and Dickstein Shapiro LLP and an Associate at Arent Fox LLP.
- Senior Benefits Law Specialist, Office of Regulations and Interpretations, United States Department of Labor, 2003 - 2007
- The Best Lawyers in America®: Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law, 2018 - 2019
- Fellow, American College of Employee Benefits Counsel
- Exceptional Achievement Award, U.S. Department of Labor
- Senior Editor, Employee Benefits Law
- Vice Chair, Employee Benefits Committee, Section of Taxation, American Bar Association
- Co-Chair, ERISA Subcommittee, Employment Rights and Responsibilities Committee of the Labor and Employment Law Section, American Bar Association
District of Columbia
Erin Sweeney will speak at the 2019 National CLE Conference as part of the Labor & Employment Law program on January 3, 2019 in Snowmass, Colorado.
Erin Sweeney will speak at the American Benefits Council Board Meeting in Dallas, Texas, on November 12, 2018. Sweeney will present, as part of a panel, "Promoting Greater Transparency in Health C
Kevin L. Kenworthy, Erin M.
In this article, John Eustice and Erin Sweeney address how using blockchain could benefit the health care industry's push to develop stronger data security measures.
Washington, DC, August 15, 2018 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered today announced that 21 firm lawyers were selected as top Washington, DC, practitioners in The Best Lawyers in Am
Following a period of relative silence from the trio of federal appellate courts tasked with ruling on challenges to the Department of Labor's (DOL's) new fiduciary definition and final conflict of
On February 17, 2017, Judge Daniel D.
On February 8, 2017, five days after the release of a Presidential Memorandum directing the U.S.
On November 28, 2016, Judge Daniel D.