- M.A. (Law and International Affairs)American University School of International Service1990
- J.D.American University Washington College of Lawcum laude1989
- B.A. and B.S.Ohio Universitysumma cum laude1986
Erin Sweeney advises on all facets of healthcare, including Affordable Care Act (ACA) compliance, health privacy (HIPAA), welfare benefit claims, health insurance continuation (COBRA), U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) audits and investigations, and employee benefit plan administration, including the application of Title I of ERISA to such plans and compliance with the fiduciary rule. Ms. Sweeney counsels and represents parties in litigation regarding fiduciary obligations, including plan investments, fee disclosure, and prohibited transactions and exemptions. She also provides advice concerning post-retirement medical benefits and the employee benefits provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA).
Ms. Sweeney previously served as Senior Benefit Law Specialist for the Division of Fiduciary Interpretations at the DOL. She was appointed as the designated representative to quarterly DOL Office of Enforcement meetings and developed and conducted DOL auditor training. She was a primary architect of the DOL’s default investment regulation proposal that impacts mutual funds, investment managers, employers, and plan trustees. She received an Exceptional Achievement award for her participation in drafting the Pension Protection Act, the most significant pension legislation since the enactment of ERISA, which affects virtually all pension plans, employers, plan investment managers, and plan service providers. Ms. Sweeney also served as an expert witness for the United States in multiple ERISA matters.
Prior to joining Miller & Chevalier, Ms. Sweeney was Counsel at Latham & Watkins LLP, Paul Hastings LLP, and Dickstein Shapiro LLP and an Associate at Arent Fox LLP.
- Senior Benefits Law Specialist, Office of Regulations and Interpretations, United States Department of Labor, 2003 - 2007
- The Best Lawyers in America®: Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law, 2018
- Fellow, American College of Employee Benefits Counsel
- Exceptional Achievement Award, U.S. Department of Labor
- Senior Editor, Employee Benefits Law
- Vice Chair, Employee Benefits Committee, Section of Taxation, American Bar Association
- Co-Chair, ERISA Subcommittee, Employment Rights and Responsibilities Committee of the Labor and Employment Law Section, American Bar Association
District of Columbia
Clearwater Beach, FL
Erin M. Sweeney, James R. Gadwood, and Yongo Ding will speak during the American Bar Association's (ABA) Tax Section 2018 Midyear Meeting in San Diego, CA.
San Diego, CA
Erin Sweeney commented on the pending Fifth Circuit fiduciary rule appeal that the U.S.
Erin M. Sweeney will be speaking during the Labor & Employment program of the 35th Annual National CLE & Ski Conference in Vail, CO.
Erin Sweeney was quoted regarding the state of the fiduciary rule and the Department of Labor (DOL) in 2018.
On February 17, 2017, Judge Daniel D.
On February 8, 2017, five days after the release of a Presidential Memorandum directing the U.S.
On November 28, 2016, Judge Daniel D.
Setting up a potential split in the Circuits and a possible trip to the Supreme Court, on Friday, November 4, 2016, Judge Randolph D.