- J.D.University of Virginia School of Law2010
- B.A.University of Notre Damecum laude2007
Emily Kelley represents clients in complex civil litigation and regulatory disputes. Ms. Kelley has represented financial institutions, venture capital and asset management firms, public and private companies, and individuals in corporate governance, fiduciary duties, fraud, tortious interference, and contract disputes. She has handled every part of a complex case, from dispositive motions practice, fact and expert discovery and examination, evidentiary challenges, to trial and appeal. Ms. Kelley has extensive experience in high-stakes, multi-year litigation involving novel issues and spanning a variety of subject areas.
In addition, Ms. Kelley has represented global financial institutions, committees of boards of directors, and senior officers in investigative and enforcement matters before U.S. and foreign regulators, including the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) and the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).
Ms. Kelley is a member of the Trial Law Institute and Diversity Law Institute.
Prior to joining Miller & Chevalier, Ms. Kelley was Counsel at Richards Kibbe & Orbe LLP. Ms. Kelley began her career as an associate at Foley & Lardner LLP in its Boston, Massachusetts and Washington, DC offices.
- Represented private asset management firm at trial in pursuit of claims for breach of contract, specific performance, and tortious interference arising out of broken trade for controlling equity position in closely held limited liability company
- Defended agent under syndicated secured lending arrangement in intercreditor dispute involving claims for breach of contract and breach of implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing arising out of bankruptcy auction of borrower's collateral
- Represented former shareholders of technology company at trial in dispute against acquiring company over contractual earn-out provision
- Defended shareholder venture capital firm at trial in dispute involving claims for breach of fiduciary duty and fraud in connection with stock purchases
- Defended limited liability company in dispute concerning right to purchase commercial condominium
- Defended medical clinic and individual directors against wrongful death claim and in indemnification and contribution cross-claims in case involving successor liability and respondeat superior theories
- Acted as independent counsel to shareholder demand committee of board of directors of global financial institution
- Aided financial institutions and individual employees in anti-money laundering, FCPA, and securities-related inquiries and investigations by domestic and foreign government regulators
- Represented pro bono clients in various immigration proceedings, including applications for asylum, relief from removal under the Violence Against Women Act, and adjustment of status
- Law Clerk Intern, Department of Justice Headquarters Immigration Court, 2008
- The Best Lawyers in America®: Commercial Litigation (Ones to Watch), 2021 - 2022
- Washington, DC Super Lawyers®: Rising Star, General Litigation, 2017 - 2021
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers®: Rising Star, General Litigation, 2012 - 2013
- DC Bar Pro Bono Honor Roll, 2017, 2019
- DC Bar Pro Bono High Honor Roll, 2016, 2018, 2020
- Associate Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
District of Columbia
Washington, DC, August 19, 2021 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered is pleased to announce that 30 firm lawyers were selected as top Washington, DC, practitioners in The Best La
Washington, DC, April 27, 2021 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered is pleased to announce that seven firm lawyers were selected as Washington, DC Super Lawyers®, with an
Washington, DC, April 5, 2021 – Miller & Chevalier is pleased to announce that 47 firm lawyers were named to the 2020 Capital Pro Bono Honor Roll, with 25 firm lawyers providin
Washington, DC, October 23, 2020 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered proudly announces that the firm was named as one of the top 30 investigations practices globally in the Glob
Washington, DC, August 20, 2020 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered is pleased to announce that 30 firm lawyers were selected as top Washington, DC, practitioners in The Best Lawyer
History teaches us that the actions of boards of directors and executive officers come under intense scrutiny during and after times of crisis.