- J.D.University of California, Hastings College of the Lawmagna cum laude, Order of the Coif1996
- B.A.University of Michiganwith high distinction1991
Andrew D. Herman practices in the areas of civil and criminal federal litigation with a focus on federal campaign and election laws, and congressional ethics and investigations. Mr. Herman has prevailed in the United States Supreme Court and represented clients before the United States Congress and Federal juries. He represents members of both the United States House of Representatives and Senate before their respective ethics committees. Mr. Herman advises campaign committees and politically active organizations on state and federal campaign finance laws, ethics rules and disclosure issues. He has represented Fortune 500 corporations and national associations in complex federal regulatory and administrative matters before government agencies and in federal court.
- Represented Major League Baseball (MLB) in the United States House Government Reform Committee investigation into use of performance enhancing drugs. Co-authored extensive legal correspondence addressing the Committee’s inquiry and served as co-counsel for senior MLB officials, including Commissioner Bud Selig, during nationally televised hearings.
- Represented congressional candidate Jack Davis in federal lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of election law provision known as the "Millionaires’ Amendment." Following a defeat in district court, appealed and argued case before the United States Supreme Court, winning an opinion validating constitutional arguments and invalidating the statute.
- Represented Congresswoman Maxine Waters during three-year House Ethics Committee investigation. Despite a referral from the Office of Congressional Ethics, the Committee fully exonerated Representative Waters.
- Represented the Project on Government Oversight (POGO), a national whistleblower organization, before federal criminal grand jury, during congressional hearings and in two federal civil jury trials. After the second trial resulted in a hung jury, DOJ abandoned its prosecution.
- The Best Lawyers in America®: Criminal Defense: White-Collar, 2020 - 2021
- DC Bar Capital Pro Bono Honor Roll, 2015 - 2016, 2018
- DC Bar Capital Pro Bono High Honor Roll, 2014, 2017
- Legal 500: Litigation: White Collar Criminal Defense, 2015
- Founding Board Member, Slim Peace Groups
- Member, Tzedek DC Advisory Council
District of Columbia
- Clerk, The Honorable Melvin Brunetti, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Clerk, The Honorable Charles R. Breyer, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
Washington, DC, August 20, 2020 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered is pleased to announce that 30 firm lawyers were selected as top Washington, DC, practitioners in The Best Lawyer
Andrew Herman was quoted on the insider trading inquiry into Senator Richard Burr's stock trades prior to the coronavirus pandemic.
Andrew Herman and Paul Leder were quoted on inquiries into stock trades by U.S. senators prior to the market decline triggered by COVID-19, which could be difficult to navigate.
Washington, DC, October
Andrew Herman will speak at the California Political Attorneys Association Annual Retreat on September 20-22, 2019 in San Diego, California.
San Diego, CA
For close observers of the Foreign Agents Registration Act — a formerly modest-sized contingent that seems to grow daily — the June 8 release by the U.S.
In this article, Brian Fleming and Andrew Herman discuss themes and takeaways from the Department of Justice's (DOJ's) June 8 release of over 50 Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA) advisory opin
In this article, Andrew Herman discusses the irony and flaws inherent in the federal case against form
Andrew Herman authored an article in The Washington Post following a February 2015 letter from House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform Chairman Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah) and Repre
When the 114th Congress convened on January 5, 2015, the Republicans held a majority in both houses for the first time in eight years.