- J.D.American University Washington College of Lawsumma cum laude
- B.A.Georgetown University
Addy R. Schmitt, Vice Chair of the firm's Litigation Department, represents individuals and corporations, including trust services companies and trustees, in criminal and civil litigation. Ms. Schmitt has significant trial experience, including recent trials in the District of Columbia, Virginia, and Maryland federal courts, as well as extensive experience representing clients facing parallel proceedings in multiple jurisdictions. In 2016, she represented an individual who was found not guilty on all counts in a federal criminal bribery and defense procurement fraud jury trial in Virginia. That year, the Corporate Crime Reporter named Ms. Schmitt to the list of "150 Women in White Collar," a list of distinguished leading female white collar practitioners in the United States. In addition to white collar matters, Ms. Schmitt focuses on complex civil litigation involving the federal government. She is also often called upon to conduct sensitive internal investigations for a variety of clients, including a prominent labor union.
Before joining the firm, Ms. Schmitt served as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Civil Division of the U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia from January 2010 to January 2014, where she represented federal executive agencies and employees at all stages of litigation in matters pending before the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit. Ms. Schmitt's cases involved a wide range of legal issues, including employment discrimination, administrative procedure, tort, fraud, and Freedom of Information Act claims.
Ms. Schmitt began her legal career as an Associate for Dickstein Shapiro, LLP, where she handled a wide range of civil cases at all stages of the litigation process. Ms. Schmitt also served as a law clerk to the Honorable Emmet G. Sullivan on the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia.
Ms. Schmitt is very active in the community at both the national and local level. In 2018, Ms. Schmitt was elected to the board of directors of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. In 2017, President Barack Obama appointed Ms. Schmitt to the District of Columbia Judicial Nominations Commission, the body that recommends candidates for judicial positions on the District of Columbia Superior Court and Court of Appeals to the president and appoints the chief judges for those courts. She has also chaired the selection panels for magistrate judges for both the U.S. District Court and the Superior Court of the District of Columbia. She recently completed two terms on the District Court's Committee on Grievances and is a member of a number of local legal organizations, including the Edward Bennett Williams Inn of Court and the Lawyers' Club of Washington. Since 2012, Ms. Schmitt has been an Adjunct Professor at the American University Washington College of Law, where she has co-taught courses in criminal trial advocacy, white collar crime, and taking and defending depositions. Since 2006, Ms. Schmitt has served on the board of directors of the Abramson Scholarship Foundation, a non-profit that provides scholarships and mentoring to DC public school graduates attending college.
Prior to law school, Ms. Schmitt worked as a staff assistant in the office of Senator Edward M. Kennedy (D-MA) and as a lobbyist for a large national non-profit organization.
- Represent clients under investigation by federal law enforcement agencies and defend individuals indicted on felony charges against allegations of fraud, public corruption, tax evasion, money laundering, and other financial crimes.
- Represent an offshore trustee with respect to a criminal tax investigation involving the DOJ and regulators in multiple offshore jurisdictions.
- Represented small business in complex civil suit in federal court challenging a federal agency's decisions under the Administrative Procedure Act.
- Defended large technology firm in civil False Claims Act suit in federal court.
- Assistant United States Attorney, Civil Division of the U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia, 2010-2014
- The Best Lawyers in America®: Criminal Defense: White Collar, 2021
- Chambers USA: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations (District of Columbia), 2018 - 2020
- Legal 500: Dispute Resolution: Corporate Investigations and White-Collar Criminal Defense, 2016, 2019 - 2020
- DC Bar Capital Pro Bono High Honor Roll, 2014, 2017 - 2018
- DC Bar Capital Pro Bono Honor Roll, 2015
- Corporate Crime Reporter: 150 Women in White Collar, 2016
- U.S. Department of Justice Special Achievement Award, 2013
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia Special Service Award, 2008 - 2009
- Adjunct Professor, American University Washington College of Law
- Board of Directors (2006 - present) and President (2010 - 2018), Abramson Scholarship Foundation
- Member, District of Columbia Judicial Nomination Commission
- Board of Directors, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Program Committee, Women’s White Collar Defense Association
- Board of Directors, Historical Society of the District of Columbia Circuit
- Member, Edward Bennett Williams American Inn of Court
- Member, Lawyers' Club of Washington
- Member, The Barristers
- Member, U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia Committee on Grievances (2012 - 2018)
- Chair, U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia Magistrate Judge Merit Selection Panel (2016)
- Chair, Superior Court of the District of Columbia Magistrate Judge Advisory Merit Section Panel (2014 - 2016)
District of Columbia
- Clerk, The Honorable Emmet G. Sullivan, U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
Washington, DC, October 23, 2020 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered proudly announces that the firm was named as one of the top 30 investigations practices globally in the Glob
Washington, DC, August 20, 2020 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered is pleased to announce that 30 firm lawyers were selected as top Washington, DC, practitioners in The Best Lawyer
Washington, DC, June 22, 2020 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered announced today that the firm received numerous practice and individual rankings in the 2020 edition of Legal 5
Washington, DC, April 27, 2020 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered today announced that the firm received multiple practice and individual lawyer rankings in the 2020 edition of
George Hani and Addy Schmitt will present at the Serle Court 4th Annual International Trusts & Commercial Litigation Conference on November 11, 2019, in New York, NY. Hani will present, as par
New York, NY
In this article, Lauren Briggerman, Addy Schmitt, and Linda Friedman Ramirez of
In this article, Mark Rochon, Addy Schmitt, and Ia
In this article, Addy Schmitt and Ian Herbert discuss two provis
In this article, Addy Schmitt and Katherine Pappas discuss how to responsibly and r
In this article, Addy Schmitt and Lauren Briggerman disc