- J.D.New York University School of Law1997
- B.A.Cornell University1994
Preston Pugh is a Member in Miller & Chevalier's Litigation Department and leads the firm's Complex Civil Litigation practice. A skilled trial lawyer, he advises clients in high-stakes investigations and litigation in a variety of industries, including those that are international in scope. As a former senior in-house compliance investigations counsel at two Fortune 50 companies, twice-appointed compliance monitor, and former Assistant U.S. Attorney, he also assists clients with crisis management, regulatory disputes and substantial reputational concerns.
An important part of Mr. Pugh's practice involves helping companies that face challenges raised by internal stakeholders, such as whistleblower claims, False Claims Act actions in healthcare and government contracting, and trade secrets cases. Recognized by The Legal 500 for corporate investigations, he has led dozens in the United States, and has investigated foreign bribery issues in China, Brazil, Korea, and several parts of Europe. He has also successfully tried numerous cases to verdict and is licensed in Washington, DC, New York, and Illinois. In addition to his investigations and trial work, he has successfully briefed and argued civil appeals in the First, Fourth, Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, Ninth, and DC Circuits in the United States Courts of Appeals.
Mr. Pugh has published several articles and been quoted on issues regarding corporate compliance. He is a co-chair of the American Bar Association Criminal Justice Section Committee (ABA CJS) on Global Anti-Corruption and a co-chair of the ABA CJS Qui Tam Subcommittee. He was a trial instructor at the National Institute of Trial Advocacy for many years and has served as an adjunct appellate advocacy professor.
Immediately prior to joining Miller & Chevalier, Mr. Pugh was a partner at a prominent trial boutique in Chicago. He was recognized as an "Illinois Super Lawyer" from 2011 to 2017, and he received multiple Special Service Awards during his time at the U.S. Attorney's Office in Chicago.
- Currently represents a major institution in a significant crisis triggered bythe tragic homicide of an employee.
- Defended three executives of a large Wall Street financial institution in a nationally-publicized trade secrets and non-solicitation lawsuit filed by their former employer/financial institution.
- Represented an executive in a trade secrets dispute with her previous employer, resulting in the former employer lifting the restrictions on the executive.
- Represented a shipping logistics company that filed a trade secrets dispute in Illinois Chancery Court.
- Led the internal investigation for a Fortune 100 airline implicated in an industry-wide False Claims Act and false statements investigation by the United States Department of Justice and United States Postal Service.
- Defended FCA and criminal false statement allegations against a Division I university following a well-publicized 2013 dawn raid by 54 agents of the FBI, U.S. Departments of Education and Housing and Urban Development, and Illinois State Police. After considerable work, the DOJ closed the investigation with no charges filed.
- Investigated alleged rigging of the hiring process for senior pilots at a Fortune 100 airline.
- Served as lead counsel for a Fortune 10 company investigation into allegations of insider trading.
- Wrote the successful argument in one of the leading implied certification cases in the Seventh Circuit, U.S. ex rel. Bragg v. SCR, part of the circuit split that led to the United States Supreme Court's decision in Universal Health Services v. U.S. ex rel. Escobar.
- Led the internal investigation of a biotech company regarding allegations by a former employee made to the company's CEO and board of directors detailing alleged false "named patient program" information provided to European clinical regulators.
- On behalf of a board of directors, led a team that investigated numerous code of conduct complaints against the CEO of a large hospital, including conflicts of interest and other allegations.
- Investigated a corporate sales leader for numerous alleged procurement violations.
- Investigated a head of HR for numerous alleged code of conduct breaches.
- Co-led an investigation and drafted the report in a major independent investigation of the University of Illinois into highly publicized allegations by student-athletes in its basketball program.
- Assistant United States Attorney, Northern District of Illinois, 1999 – 2002 (Recipient of Special Service Award 2000 and 2001)
- National Labor Relations Appellate Court Branch, 1997 – 1999
- Senior Counsel, Litigation and Global Investigations, GE Healthcare
- Seconded Counsel, Integrated Defense Systems, Boeing
- Legal 500: Dispute Resolution: Corporate Investigations and White-Collar Criminal Defense, 2019
- DC Bar Capital Pro Bono Honor Roll, 2018
- DC Bar Capital Pro Bono High Honor Roll, 2017
- Leading Lawyer in Commercial Litigation, Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, 2012 - 2017
- "40 Attorneys Under 40 to Watch," Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, 2004
- Department of Justice Special Act or Service Award, 2000 - 2001
- American Bar Association, Co-Chair, Global Anti-Corruption Committee
- American Bar Association Criminal Justice Section, Co-Chair, Qui Tam Subcommittee
- American Bar Association's Task Force on Corporate Monitors
- Leadership Greater Chicago, Class of 2012
- Former Member, Character and Fitness Committee, Illinois Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Committee
- Former Chair, Chicago Bar Association Labor and Employment Committee
- Link Unlimited, Mentor
District of Columbia
Preston Pugh will speak at the ABA Public Contract Law Procurement Fraud and False Claims Committee and Small Business & Other Socioeconomic Programs Committee Joint Meeting on May 9, 2019 in W
Miller & Chevalier is pleased to announce that 42 firm lawyers were named to the 2018 Capital Pro Bono Honor Roll, with 21 firm lawyers providing one hundred hours or more of pro bono service a
Preston Pugh will present at the National Bar Association 2019 Mid-Winter Conference and Judicial Council Meeting on January 17, 2019, in Panama City. Pugh will present "Money Laundering, the Pana
Washington, DC, October 26, 2018 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered proudly announces that the firm was named as one of the top 30 investigations practices globally in the Glob
Preston Pugh will speak during the Government Investigations & Civil Litigation Institute's (GICLI) Annual Meeting on October 10, 2018.
Fort Lauderdale, FL
On May 13, 2019, the U.S.
Last week the U.S.
In this article, Preston Pugh, Aiysha Hussain, and Ian Herbert discuss ho
In this article, Preston Pugh and Adam