- J.D.Harvard Law Schoolcum laude2003
- A.B.Princeton Universitysumma cum laude1998
Layla J. Asali practices in a broad range of federal income tax matters, with an emphasis on the taxation of cross-border transactions and business activities. She advises U.S.-based and foreign-based multinational clients on international tax issues, including mergers and acquisitions, intellectual property transactions, supply chain planning, and financings.
In addition to her consulting practice, Layla has experience representing clients before the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) National Office in obtaining favorable private letter rulings and resolving federal income tax controversies at the audit level and at IRS Appeals. She has also represented clients before the U.S. Department of the Treasury on regulatory and policy matters.
Layla is a frequently sought speaker on international tax matters and is an emerging authority on the international tax provisions of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act. She has published articles in journals, including BNA Tax Management International Journal, BNA Tax Management Memorandum, the CCH International Tax Journal, and Tax Notes International. Layla is the former Chair of the DC Bar Taxation Community and she currently serves as a Member of the Taxation Community's Steering Committee. She has twice been named one of International Tax Review's Women in Tax (2016 – 2017).
- Advised a U.S.-based natural resources company on the U.S. tax consequences of restructuring its international operations.
- Represented a foreign-based insurance company as special tax counsel in connection with an $800 million acquisition of a U.S. business.
- Counseled a foreign-based multinational on U.S. international tax and transfer pricing issues in connection with a restructuring of foreign operations held by its U.S. group.
- Advised a U.S.-based retail company on U.S. tax aspects of financing Canadian operations and managing its cross-border supply chain.
- International Tax Review: Women in Tax Leaders, 2016 - 2017
- Legal 500: Tax: International Tax, 2014 - 2018
- Legal 500: Tax: Non-Contentious, 2016, 2018
- Washington, DC Super Lawyers®: Super Lawyer, Tax, 2018
- Washington, DC Super Lawyers®: Rising Star, Tax, 2014 - 2017
- The National Law Journal, DC Rising Star, 2014
- Former Chair, Taxation Community, District of Columbia Bar (2016 – 2017)
- Member, Steering Committee, Taxation Community, District of Columbia Bar
- Member, Section of Taxation, American Bar Association
- Member, International Fiscal Association
District of Columbia
Layla Asali and Rocco Femia will speak at the 2019 Tax Legislative and Regulatory Update Conference, presented by the DC Bar Tax Community, Georgetown University, and Tax Analysts, on Janu
Layla Asali will speak at an International Tax Institute seminar on November 20, 2018, in New York, NY. Asali will present, as part of a panel, "Tax Regulations Post Reform: Assessing the Extent o
New York, NY
Layla Asali will speak at the DC Bar Communities Program, "Proposed GILTI Regulations," presented by the International Tax Community, on October 30, 2018.
On November 26, 2018, the Department of Treasury (Treasury) and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) issued proposed regulations (Proposed Regulations) under section 163(j).1 The 2017 Tax
In this article, Layla Asali, Andrew Howlett, Katherine Zhang,* and David Zimmerman discuss Revenue Procedure 2017-52, which describes the Internal Revenue Service's (IRS's) pilot program that expa
On September 21, 2017, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) introduced a pilot program that expands the scope of letter rulings available for distributions intended to qualify as tax-free spin-offs u
In this article, David Zimmerman, Layla Asali, A