- J.D.The University of Michigan Law Schoolcum laude1997
- B.A.Swarthmore College1992
Andrew Wise is the Chair of Miller & Chevalier's Litigation Department. He defends clients in white collar criminal and civil trials and represents multinational companies in fraud and anti-corruption investigations. The most recent edition of Chambers USA recognized Mr. Wise for his white-collar crime and government investigations work and described him as "highly thought of for his white-collar expertise … has key experience in taking cases to trial as well as handling complex investigations," and "extraordinarily detailed, passionate, whip smart and just a great, great advocate."
Mr. Wise has defended clients in cases involving the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), mail and wire fraud, bribery and honest services fraud, price-fixing, and tax fraud. In addition, he has extensive experience handling cases involving investigation-related offenses such as perjury, false statements, and obstruction of justice.
In addition to his trial work, Mr. Wise has conducted internal investigations into potential violations of U.S. laws and regulations, including most frequently the FCPA, and has advised clients on compliance challenges and enforcement issues arising out of those investigations. He has written and spoken on navigating simultaneous criminal investigations and civil proceedings and mitigating the collateral consequences of governmental enforcement actions.
In addition to his recognition by Chambers, Mr. Wise has been named as one of Washington’s top trial and white collar crime lawyers by Washingtonian Magazine and recognized by Ethisphere Institute as one of the "Attorneys Who Matter" because of his work in the enforcement and compliance areas.
Before joining Miller & Chevalier, Mr. Wise worked at the Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia, where he defended indigent clients charged with serious criminal offenses in the District of Columbia Superior Court. During his career, Mr. Wise has tried more than 50 cases to resolution before juries and judges in federal and state courts.
- Led the trial defense of Kevin Ring on charges of conspiracy, honest services wire fraud, and illegal gratuities in connection with the Department of Justice’s prosecution of individuals tied to Jack Abramoff.
- Investigated allegations of retaliation and harassment arising out of internal review of FCPA issues; advised Audit Committee regarding implications of findings and reformation of compliance policies and procedures.
- Defended David Geisen, a nuclear engineer and former manager at Davis-Besse Nuclear Power Station, in criminal and administrative trial proceedings arising out of allegedly false and misleading submissions to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
- Led multi-country investigation into potential FCPA violations on behalf of multinational company operating in Asia, Middle East, and Africa and advised company regarding potential disclosure and remediation issues.
- Represented an oil company founder and CEO in simultaneous investigations by U.S. Department of Justice, various Congressional committees, and the United Nations-sponsored Committee into alleged misconduct in connection with the United Nations Oil-for-Food program.
- Defended senior executive in a U.S. Department of Justice Antitrust Division criminal investigation into allegations of price-fixing and market-allocation in the auto parts industry.
- Represented a foreign diplomat in U.S. government investigation into allegations of espionage and mishandling of classified documents.
- Staff Attorney, Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia, 1997 - 2002
- Chambers USA: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations (District of Columbia), 2013 - 2021
- The Best Lawyers in America®: Criminal Defense: White-Collar, 2018 - 2022
- Legal 500: Dispute Resolution: Corporate Investigations and White-Collar Criminal Defense, 2014, 2018 - 2021
- Who's Who Legal: Business Crime Defence, 2018 - 2020
- Who's Who Legal: Investigations, 2019 - 2021
- Who's Who Legal: Thought Leaders – GIR, 2019
- Legal Media Group's Expert Guides: White Collar, 2019 - 2020
- Washington's Top Lawyers: Criminal Defense, White Collar (Washingtonian Magazine), 2015 - 2018
- Washington’s Top Lawyers: Trial Lawyers, Elite Criminal Defenders (Washingtonian Magazine), 2007 - 2014
- Ethisphere Institute's Attorneys Who Matter (Up and Comers/Rising Stars), 2011
- DC Bar Capital Pro Bono High Honor Roll, 2015 - 2017, 2019
- DC Bar Capital Pro Bono Honor Roll, 2013 - 2014, 2020
- Fellow, International Academy of Financial Crime Litigators
- Faculty Member, Harvard Law School’s Trial Advocacy Workshop
- Faculty Member, National Institute for Trial Advocacy’s Intensive Trial Training Program
District of Columbia
Washington, DC, August 19, 2021 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered is pleased to announce that 30 firm lawyers were selected as top Washington, DC, practitioners in The Best La
Washington, DC, June 11, 2021 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered announced today that the firm received numerous practice and individual rankings in the 2021 edition of Legal 5
Washington, DC, May 20, 2021 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered today announced that the firm received multiple practice and individual lawyer rankings in the 2021 edition of C
Washington, DC, April 27, 2021 – Miller & Chevalier Chartered is pleased to announce that seven firm lawyers were selected as Washington, DC Super Lawyers®, with an
Washington, DC, April 5, 2021 – Miller & Chevalier is pleased to announce that 47 firm lawyers were named to the 2020 Capital Pro Bono Honor Roll, with 25 firm lawyers providin
We are pleased to announce that Andrew Wise and Katherine Pappas authored the United States chap
We are pleased to announce that Andrew Wise and Katherine Pappas authored the United States c
In this article, Andrew Wise and Katherine Pappas discuss a company's options regarding disclosure of information to individual employees facing Department of Justice (DOJ) interviews after the com
As Miller & Chevalier reported in an earlier alert, on May 7 the United States Court of Appeals for