Homer Moyer, the architect of the firm's preeminent international practice, has been recognized as a premier lawyer in multiple international legal fields. He has served in government as a political appointee of both political parties and has developed and guided pro bono projects that have been hailed for their global impact.
Regarded as one of the country's leading Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) lawyers, Mr. Moyer is an authority on U.S. and international anti-corruption law. He has represented and advised dozens of clients, written and spoken on the subject extensively, chaired more than 30 national and international conferences, produced a training video, and served as an SEC-appointed Independent Compliance Consultant. In the 2010 editions of Chambers USA and Chambers Global, market commentators noted: "In Homer Moyer, the (Miller & Chevalier) team has one of the deans of the international trade bar. An expert in FCPA, Moyer is renowned among corporate clients for his calm and thoughtful approach to difficult regulatory issues, and has a huge number of contacts in the relevant agencies. His ability to organize and execute a strategy is beyond compare."
In the area of export controls and economic sanctions, Mr. Moyer's experience dates from when he served as General Counsel of the U.S. Department of Commerce during a time of historic foreign policy and national security controls, sanctions, and boycotts. He has counseled numerous clients on export issues of first impression, co-authored the book Export Controls as Instruments of Foreign Policy, and been called to testify as an expert witness. While in government, he also co-authored the Anti-Boycott regulations of the Export Administration Act.
In matters of international trade, Mr. Moyer has advised clients on World Trade Organization (WTO) panel and Appellate Body disputes, represented governments in free trade agreement negotiations, and successfully litigated before bi-national panels and "Extraordinary Challenge" tribunals under the NAFTA and CFTA. Mr. Moyer has been counsel in landmark antidumping and countervailing duty cases, in trade and investment disputes before international arbitral bodies, and in federal court proceedings involving issues of international law. In other cases, he has represented clients before all levels of federal courts, including the United States Supreme Court. More >
- Represented several companies in FCPA investigations in which enforcement agencies ultimately declined to take any enforcement action.
- Represented the first company that entered into an FCPA Deferred Prosecution Agreement and the first company that succeeded in having the term of a Deferred Prosecution Agreement shortened.
- Served as an FCPA Independent Compliance Monitor and advised several companies with respect to selecting and working with a Monitor; in one instance, represented a company in achieving a change in its Monitor.
- Conducted numerous independent investigations and M&A due diligence investigations, including for companies that were the subject of government investigations in the U.S. and elsewhere.
- Represented two countries with respect to bilateral trade agreement negotiations.
- General Counsel, U.S. Department of Commerce, 1980 - 1981
- Counselor to the Secretary, U.S. Department of Commerce, 1979
- Deputy General Counsel, U.S. Department of Commerce, 1976 - 1978
Rankings and Recognition
- ABA Section of International Law 2008 Lifetime Achievement Award
- ABA’s World Order Under Law Award
- ABA Founders' Award
- CEELI Volunteer Award
- Chambers USA Outstanding Contribution to the Legal Profession Award, 2010
- Chambers USA: FCPA (National), 2014
- Chambers Global: International Trade: FCPA Experts (United States), 2009 - 2014
- Chambers Global: International Trade: Trade Remedies & Trade Policy (United States), 2008 - 2009
- Chambers USA: International Trade: FCPA Experts (National), 2008 - 2013
- Chambers USA: International Trade: Trade Remedies & Trade Policy (National), 2005 - 2008
- Ethisphere Institute's Attorneys Who Matter (Top Guns), 2012 - 2014
- Ethisphere Institute's Attorneys Who Matter (in Corporate Compliance): FCPA, 2009
- Latin Lawyer Anti-Corruption Survey: Top Lawyer, 2013
- Legal 500: Litigation: International Trade, 2011, 2013
- Main Justice Best FCPA Lawyers Client Service Award, FCPA Master, 2013
- The Best Lawyers in America®: International Trade and Finance Law, 2003 - 2015
- Who's Who Legal: The International Who's Who of Investigations Lawyers, 2014
- Who’s Who Legal: The International Who’s Who of Business Crime Defence Lawyers, 2009 - 2014
- Who's Who Legal: The International Who's Who of Business Lawyers, 2011 - 2012
- Who’s Who Legal: The International Who’s Who of Trade & Customs Lawyers, 2011
- Guide to the World’s Best International Trade Lawyers
- Lawdragon’s 500 Leading Lawyers
Professional and Community Involvement
- Chair, International Bar Association Anti-Corruption Committee
- Co-Founder and Chair, American Bar Association’s Central European and Eurasian Law Initiative (CEELI)
- Founder, CEELI Institute
- President, Friends of the CEELI Institute
- Former Chair, Section of International Law, American Bar Association
- Former Chair, Section of International Law Export Controls & Economic Sanctions Committee, American Bar Association
- Former Chair, Section of International Law International Trade Committee, American Bar Association
- Former Member, American Bar Association Council
- Board Member, American Bar Association Rule of Law Initiative
- Board of Trustees, Center for American and International Law
- Fomer Member, Board of Trustees, Council for Excellence in Government
- Former President, Washington Council of Lawyers
- Member, Council on Foreign Relations
- Former Member, Board of Visitors, Emory University
- District of Columbia
- LL.B., Yale Law School, 1967
- B.A., Emory University, 1964