Barry Pollack represents individuals and corporations in criminal investigations and trials, and in other government enforcement matters such as Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) proceedings. Mr. Pollack also conducts corporate investigations. As a former certified public accountant (CPA), a substantial focus of his practice is the litigation of complex financial matters. Mr. Pollack's clients have included members of Congress and Fortune 500 corporations and their senior executives.
Mr. Pollack has extensive jury trial experience and is best known for his skills in the courtroom. He obtained acquittals on all counts on behalf of a former executive of Enron Corporation in a federal criminal case, following a month long jury trial. Mr. Pollack's client was one of only two Enron executives to be acquitted by a jury. More >
- Representing a former executive of Enron Corporation, obtaining acquittal of all federal criminal fraud charges following a month-long jury trial and obtaining the dismissal of a Securities and Exchange Commission enforcement action.
- Leading a team of pro bono attorneys who obtained release from prison and dismissal of all charges against a Long Island man who served 17 years for the murder of his parents, after presenting evidence he had been wrongfully convicted.
- Representing a CPA in a successful criminal appeal, reversing convictions for embezzling from an insurance company in an alleged scheme to benefit a United States Congressman.
- Representing a former AIG executive in criminal and Securities and Exchange Commission investigations of accounting improprieties, obtaining a non-prosecution agreement and no action by the Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Representing a Member of Congress in a House ethics investigation.
- Representing corporations in federal and state criminal investigations and a Securities and Exchange Commission investigation of violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and other laws related to improper payments made by participants in the U.N. Oil-for-Food program, obtaining favorable settlements.
- Assistant Federal Public Defender, Maryland, 1998 - 2000
Rankings and Recognition
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Fellow, American Board of Criminal Lawyers
- Chambers USA: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations (District of Columbia), 2010 - 2014
- Mid-Atlantic Innocence Project Defender of Innocence Award, 2009
- Gideon Champion of Justice Award, New York State Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 2008
- The Best Lawyers in America®: Criminal Defense: White Collar, 2007 - 2015
- Legal 500: Litigation: White-Collar Criminal Defense, 2011 - 2014
- Washington's Top Lawyers: Trial Lawyers, Elite Criminal Defenders (Washingtonian Magazine), 2007 and 2009
- American Trial Lawyer Association's Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Washington, D.C., 2007 - 2010
- Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers®: Criminal Defense: White Collar, 2007-2014
- Who's Who Legal: The International Who's Who of Investigations Lawyers, 2014
- Who's Who Legal: The International Who's Who of Business Crime Defence Lawyers, 2011 - 2014
- Who's Who Legal: The International Who's Who of Business Lawyers, 2011 - 2012
- SmartCEO's Washington Legal Elite, 2007
Professional and Community Involvement
- President, Board of Directors, Mid-Atlantic Innocence Project
- First Vice-President, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Member, Board of Directors, Law Students in Court
- Co-Chair, National Security Committee, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Adjunct Faculty Member, Georgetown University Law Center: "Anatomy of a Federal Criminal Trial"
- Barrister, Edward Bennett Williams Inn of Court
- Member, District of Columbia State Committee, American College of Trial Lawyers, 2008 - 2013
- Member, Board of Directors, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 2003 - 2009
- Chair, White Collar Crime Committee, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 2003 - 2009
- District of Columbia
- New York
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, 1991
- B.S., Indiana University, with high honors, 1986