Trade Policy & Market Access
Foreign and U.S. Market Strategies
- Successfully representing a U.S. company in a case involving the U.S. Generalized System of Preferences that preserved the company's ability to import component parts duty-free for integration into a manufactured product.
- Developing and implementing a tariff and tariff-rate quota market access strategy in Asia, Europe, and Latin America for the U.S. dairy processing industry.
- Advising a large foreign direct investor facing aggressive and illegal foreign government tactics and actions in a key country in Asia.
- Developing and implementing an effort to reduce antidumping duties in Brazil for a chemical company.
- Advising an energy company on developments in U.S. foreign and trade policy and international financial institution programs as they relate to the economic and political conditions of countries in Central Asia, the Middle East, Africa, Latin America, and Asia.
- Advising a business organization on appropriate strategies to advance a bilateral trade, investment and tax agenda involving the United States and a major trading partner.
- Advising a foreign government on strategies for dealing with the U.S. government on bilateral, regional, and multilateral trade and investment issues.
- Developing a trade and related domestic policy strategy for a multinational food and nutritional ingredients company facing tariff and other regulatory barriers in the U.S. and in key foreign markets.
U.S. Legislation and Regulation
- Working with a coalition of companies to pursue and obtain passage of the Miscellaneous Tariff Bill.
- Developing tax legislation to replace the Foreign Sales Corporation Tax with a WTO-compliant provision of law.
- Coordinating a coalition of companies and developing legislative language to ensure that implementation of federal law pertaining to an agriculture product market promotion program complies with U.S. international trade obligations.
- Representing an industry association before the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative, U.S. Department of Agriculture, and the Congress on trade and agriculture policy issues.
- Representing companies involved in antidumping proceedings successfully and providing the requisite strategic government affairs support.
- Coordinating a coalition of companies interested in proposed tariff legislation.
- Developing legislative language for certain antidumping and countervailing duty provisions and providing Congress the U.S. Government’s position on proposed legislative changes.