Matteson Ellis has extensive experience in international anti-corruption compliance and enforcement, including the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA). He has worked on anti-corruption matters in multiple capacities, including prevention, detection, remediation, investigation, defense, and enforcement. Mr. Ellis focuses particularly on the Americas, having spent several years in the region working for a Fortune 50 multinational corporation and a government ethics watchdog group. He is multilingual and is a frequent speaker on corruption matters in Mexico, Brazil, Colombia, Argentina, and other Latin American markets.
Mr. Ellis has worked with U.S. and non-U.S. companies on all facets of FCPA compliance and enforcement, including legal analysis, internal investigations, third party due diligence, transactional due diligence, anti-corruption policy drafting, bilingual compliance training, compliance audits, corruption risk assessments, voluntary disclosures to the U.S. government, and resolutions with the U.S. government. He has performed complex, independent, and on-site internal investigations in over 20 countries throughout the Americas, Asia, Europe, and Africa.
Mr. Ellis has also investigated fraud and corruption and supported administrative sanctions and debarment proceedings for The World Bank and The Inter-American Development Bank. His work has included numerous high-profile matters in the public spotlight. For The World Bank, he investigated the largest global, cross-jurisdictional, anti-corruption case (by settlement amount) in history. He was selected by the European Union as its technical expert to design a program to address compliance concerns related to a company at the center of a multi-jurisdictional, highly-publicized bribery enforcement action. Mr. Ellis has been named one of Latin America's top 100 lawyers by Latinvex, which recognized him as "the leading expert on the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and Latin America." Latinvex is a leading online, subscription-based source for Latin American legal information. He has been quoted in the Wall Street Journal, Washington Post and numerous other publications on topics related to his areas of practice.
Rankings and Recognition
- Chambers Global: Fraud & Corporate Investigations (Latin America-wide), 2015
- Chambers Latin America: Fraud & Corporate Investigations (Latin America-wide), 2015
- Ethisphere Institute's Attorneys Who Matter (Specialists - Private Practice), 2014
- Global Investigations Review: 40 Under 40, 2014
- Latinvex: Latin America's Top 100 Lawyers, 2014 - 2015
- Who's Who Legal: The International Who's Who of Investigations Lawyers, 2014 - 2015
- Latin Lawyer Anti-Corruption Survey: Top Lawyer, 2013
- Legal 500: Litigation: International Trade, 2013
Professional and Community Involvement
- Co-Founder and Board of Trustees Chairman Emeritus, The School for Ethics and Global Leadership, Washington, DC
- Development Committee Member, Board of Directors, KLRU - Austin PBS, Austin, TX
- District of Columbia
- New York
- New Jersey
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, cum laude, 2004
- M.S., Georgetown University School of Foreign Service, 2004
- B.A., Dartmouth College, 1997