Maryna Kavaleuskaya* is a Law Clerk in the International Department. She focuses on civil and common law, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA)-related matters, business and human rights, global anti-corruption and rule of law issues. In addition to her work at Miller & Chevalier, Ms. Kavaleuskaya is a consultant at The World Bank.
Prior to obtaining her LL.M. Degree from Harvard Law School, in the scope of her private practice in Minsk, Belarus, Ms. Kavaleuskaya dedicated a significant amount of time to her work on high-profile cases, including defense of a former presidential candidate. Besides her practice in the area of Belarus' national law, she prepared complaints to the United Nations Human Rights Committee on violations of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) and participated in the Parliamentary Assembly of the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) as an expert on human rights in 2012.
On a pro bono basis, Ms. Kavaleuskaya worked with the Central European and Eurasian Law Initiative (CEELI) Institute, a post-graduate lawyer and judicial training institution in Prague. In the spring of 2014, she helped organize an anti-corruption training for a diverse group of some of the world's most experienced judges, prosecutors and investigators. In the scope of her pro bono work, Ms. Kavaleuskaya also worked on human rights-related multi-stakeholders initiatives in the high-tech sector.
In 2015, Ms. Kavaleuskaya helped organize the International Bar Association (IBA) Rule of Law Forum's Symposium on Egregious Failures and Notable Successes of the Rule of Law, and the IBA Corporate Social Responsibility Committee's event on Human Rights Grievance Mechanisms.
*Not a Lawyer
- Consultant, Human Rights and Development Issues, The World Bank
- Intern, Legal Division of Consular Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Belarus, 2008
Rankings and Recognition
- The Best Attorney at Law, Alliance of Human Rights Organizations of Belarus, 2011
Professional and Community Involvement
- Member, Washington, DC Planning Committee, Harvard Law School Women's Alliance
- Member, International Bar Association
- Member, Young Professionals Network of the Eurasia Foundation, 2014 - 2015
- Consultant, Rule of Law Initiative, American Bar Association, 2014 - 2015
- LL.M., Harvard Law School, 2013
- J.D., Belarusian State University, 2008