Maria Jones practices in the area of federal income taxation with a focus on tax controversy matters, including Internal Revenue Service (IRS) audits, IRS Appeals and tax litigation in the U.S. Tax Court, the Court of Federal Claims and Federal district courts. She has significant experience in matters involving the taxation of insurance companies, including deductibility of ceding commissions and reserves, conversion of nonprofit insurance companies, captive insurance company issues and the provisions applicable to Blue Cross and Blue Shield plans.
Ms. Jones also advises clients on a wide range of other tax issues, including matters involving the Affordable Care Act, the valuation of intangible assets, excise tax matters, and tax accounting matters. She has experience with IRS issue resolution procedures, including Pre-Filing Agreements, Fast Track Settlement and the Industry Issue Resolution (IIR) program. Ms. Jones is a member of the Board of Directors of the Insurance Tax Conference and is a frequent speaker on insurance tax and federal tax controversy issues. Ms. Jones is also a member of the firm’s Executive Committee and Diversity Committee.
- Washington Mutual, Inc. v. United States, No. 08-321T, No. 08-211T (Fed. Cl.) (pending).
- Washington Mutual, Inc. v. United States, No. CV06-1550 (W.D. Wash.) (pending).
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas v. Commissioner, No. 8088-08 (Tax Ct.) (pending).
- Washington Mutual, Inc. v. United States, 636 F. 3d 1207 (9th Cir. 2011).
- Louisiana Health Serv. & Indem. Co. v. United States, 104 A.F.T.R. 2d 2009-5194 (M.D. La. 2009).
Rankings and Recognition
- International Tax Review: Women in Tax Leaders, 2015 - 2016
- International Tax Review: Tax Controversy Leaders (U.S.), 2014 - 2016
Professional and Community Involvement
- District of Columbia
- United States Tax Court
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- LL.M. (Taxation), Georgetown University Law Center, with distinction, 1999
- J.D., The George Washington University Law School, with honors, Order of the Coif, 1993
- B.S., University of Delaware, cum laude, 1988