Layla J. Asali practices in a broad range of federal income tax matters, including domestic and cross-border corporate acquisitions, dispositions and reorganizations; cross-border financings; joint venture planning; inbound and outbound transfers of intangible and other property; foreign tax credit utilization; and Subpart F planning. She counsels clients with respect to U.S. tax aspects of multinational structures and cross-border business operations, including supply chain planning, funding arrangements and cash management (including repatriation).
In addition to her consulting practice, Layla has experience representing clients before the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) National Office in obtaining favorable private letter rulings and resolving federal income tax controversies at the audit level and at IRS Appeals. She has also represented clients before the U.S. Department of the Treasury on regulatory and policy matters.
Layla frequently speaks and writes on a variety of international and corporate tax topics, including conferences and programs of the American Bar Association (ABA), Bloomberg BNA, the District of Columbia Bar, the Federal Bar Association (FBA), the International Bar Association (IBA), Practising Law Institute (PLI) and Tax Executives Institute (TEI). She has published articles in journals, including BNA Tax Management International Journal, BNA Tax Management Memorandum, the CCH International Tax Journal and Tax Notes International.
- Advised a U.S.-based natural resources company on the U.S. tax consequences of restructuring its international operations.
- Represented a foreign-based insurance company as special tax counsel in connection with an $800 million acquisition of a U.S. business.
- Counseled a foreign-based multinational on U.S. international tax and transfer pricing issues in connection with a restructuring of foreign operations held by its U.S. group.
- Advised a U.S.-based retail company on U.S. tax aspects of financing Canadian operations and managing its cross-border supply chain.
Rankings and Recognition
- International Tax Review: Women in Tax Leaders, 2016
- The National Law Journal, D.C. Rising Star, 2014
- Legal 500: Tax: International Tax, 2014 - 2016
- Legal 500: Tax: Non-Contentious, 2016
- Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers®: Rising Star, Tax, 2014 - 2016
Professional and Community Involvement
- Chair, Steering Committee, Taxation Section, District of Columbia Bar
- Member, Section of Taxation, American Bar Association
- Member, International Fiscal Association
- J.D., Harvard Law School, cum laude, 2003
- A.B., Princeton University, summa cum laude, 1998