Laura Ferguson has litigated numerous high stakes, complex civil litigation matters at Miller & Chevalier since joining the firm in 1991. Her engagements have spanned a variety of subject areas, including ERISA plan interpretation, foreign tax credits, corporate tax shelters, Section 1981, and the Alien Tort Claims Act.
In her appellate practice, Ms. Ferguson has briefed cases on a range of tax and non-tax issues before the Second, Fourth, Ninth, District of Columbia, and Federal Circuits, and the Supreme Court.
- Mohamad v. Palestinian Authority, 132 S. Ct. 1702 (2012) (won unanimous decision holding that corporations and other organizational defendants cannot be sued for international human rights violations under the Torture Victim Protection Act).
- Shafi v. Palestinian Authority, 642 F.3d 1088 (D.C. Cir. 2011) (secured affirmance of dismissal of Alien Tort Statute lawsuit for failure to satisfy state action requirement).
- Estate of Ahuva Amergi v. Palestinian Authority, 611 F.3d 1350 (11th Cir. 2010) (secured affirmance of dismissal of Alien Tort Statute lawsuit).
- Brubaker v. Metropolitan Life Ins. Co., 2007 U.S. App. LEXIS 8209 (D.C. Cir. Apr. 10, 2007) (ERISA pension plan interpretation; D.C. Circuit affirmed district court’s grant of summary judgment in client’s favor).
- Black & Decker Corp. v. United States, 436 F.3d 431 (4th Cir. 2006) (affirming taxpayer’s arguments on statutory treatment of contingent liability transaction; remanding for determination of whether the transaction had economic substance).
Professional and Community Involvement
- Former Adjunct Professor, LL.M. Program, Georgetown University Law Center
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- United States Tax Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals
- J.D., The University of Texas School of Law, with honors, 1991
- B.A., College of William and Mary, Phi Beta Kappa, 1985