Larry Christensen concentrates on export controls, sanctions, and embargoes under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and various regulations issued by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC). His practice includes pre-acquisition due diligence, foreign direct investment (CFIUS) and the defense of enforcement cases, compliance processes, assessments and audits.
He advises clients on the most challenging substantive areas of export controls, such as commodity jurisdiction, the outer limits of U.S. re-export rules, encryption and OFAC restrictions. In addition, he has substantial technical and classification experience in industries such as aerospace, defense, seismic, oil and gas, night vision, navigation, special metals, information technology, telecommunications, machine tools, sensing devices, accelerometers, chemicals and bio toxins. He has experience in technology transfer in avionics, gas turbine engines, missile development, telecommunications, computers and chemicals.
Mr. Christensen served in the U.S. Department of Commerce for 11 years in the Office of Chief Counsel of Export Administration and as Director of the Regulatory Policy Division. He headed the complete redrafting of the EAR from 1995 to 1996, the first such rewrite since 1949. He also authored the deemed export rule and coordinated the policy support for the rule prior to its publication. More >
- Successful effort to seek modification of Category XI in Export Control Reform (ECR) proposal.
- Drafted American Bar Association comments on the definition of "specially designed" during ECR.
- Scores of favorable commodity jurisdiction requests before and after ECR.
- Favorable outcomes in administrative and criminal defense matters.
- Completion of direct investment reviews under CFIUS regulations.
- Director, Regulatory Policy Division, U.S. Department of Commerce, 1994 - 1997
- Senior Counsel, Office of Chief Counsel of Export Administration, U.S. Department of Commerce, 1986 - 1994
Rankings and Recognition
- Chambers Global: International Trade: Export Controls & Economic Sanctions (United States), 2009 - 2016
- Chambers USA: International Trade: Export Controls & Economic Sanctions (National), 2008 - 2016
- The Best Lawyers in America®: International Trade and Finance Law, 2009 - 2017
- Legal 500: Dispute Resolution: International Trade, 2013 - 2016
- WorldECR Awards: "Highly Commended" Export Controls Practitioner, 2015
- Who's Who Legal: The International Who’s Who of Trade & Customs Lawyers, 2014 - 2016
Professional and Community Involvement
- Adjunct Professor, Georgetown University Law Center
- Named to the American Bar Association Blue Ribbon Committee advising reporters on the drafting of the Foreign Relations of the U.S. RESTATEMENT (Fourth) (concentration of extraterritorial reach)
- J.D., Duke University School of Law
- B.S., University of South Dakota