Barbara Linney, a Member in the International Department, has been advising U.S. and foreign clients on international trade and business issues for more than 25 years. Ms. Linney serves clients across a broad spectrum of industries, with particular focus on the defense, aerospace, oil and gas, maritime and medical device industries. Her practice involves representing clients before various federal agencies, including the U.S. Departments of Commerce, Defense and State, as well as the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) and Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS). More >
- Represented private equity firms in connection with due diligence, notice and regulatory approval requirements in domestic and international corporate transactions, including mergers, acquisitions and financings; joint ventures; and distribution agreements.
- Represented buyers and sellers in connection with proposed acquisitions under review by CFIUS and related national security issues, including measures designed to mitigate Foreign Ownership, Control and Influence (FOCI) and negotiation and implementation of Special Security Agreements and Proxy Agreements.
- Assisted U.S. and foreign clients in obtaining product and technology jurisdiction and classification determinations, licenses and other regulatory approvals and designing and implementing trade and security compliance programs.
- Assisted numerous clients with internal investigation of possible violations of international trade and business laws and preparation of voluntary disclosures to DDTC, BIS, OFAC and other government agencies.
Rankings and Recognition
- Legal 500: Litigation: International Trade, 2013
- Legal 500: Litigation: White-Collar Criminal Defense, 2013
- Executive Committee Award, Women in Federal Law Enforcement, Inc., 2007
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Association of Women in International Trade, Inc., 2006
Professional and Community Involvement
- Adjunct Professor, Georgetown University Law Center
- Member and Past President, Pro Bono General Counsel, Association of Women in International Trade, Inc.
- Member and Pro Bono General Counsel, Women in Federal Law Enforcement, Inc.
- Member, Society of International Affairs (SIA)
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, District of Columbia Bar Association
- Member, British-American Business Association
- Member, Canadian American Bar Association
- Member, Steering Committee, Paralyzed Veterans Golf Open
- Member, Washington International Trade Association
- District of Columbia
- New York
- Law Society of Alberta
- Law Society of England and Wales
- United States Court of International Trade
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- LL.M. (International and Comparative Law), Georgetown University Law Center, 1991
- LL.B., University of Saskatchewan College of Law, with distinction, 1981
- B. Com., University of Manitoba, with honours, 1978