Andrew D. Herman practices in the areas of civil and criminal federal litigation with a focus on federal campaign and election laws, and congressional ethics and investigations. Mr. Herman has prevailed in the United States Supreme Court and represented clients before the United States Congress and Federal juries. He represents members of both the United States House of Representatives and Senate before their respective ethics committees. Mr. Herman advises campaign committees and politically active organizations on state and federal campaign finance laws, ethics rules and disclosure issues. He has represented Fortune 500 corporations and national associations in complex federal regulatory and administrative matters before government agencies and in federal court.
- Represented Major League Baseball (MLB) in the United States House Government Reform Committee investigation into use of performance enhancing drugs. Co-authored extensive legal correspondence addressing the Committee’s inquiry and served as co-counsel for senior MLB officials, including Commission Bud Selig, during nationally televised hearings.
- Represented congressional candidate Jack Davis in federal lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of election law provision known as the "Millionaires’ Amendment." Following a defeat in district court, appealed and argued case before the United States Supreme Court, winning an opinion validating constitutional arguments and invalidating the statute.
- Represented Congresswoman Maxine Waters during three-year House Ethics Committee investigation. Despite a referral from the Office of Congressional Ethics, the Committee fully exonerated Representative Waters.
- Represented the Project on Government Oversight (POGO), a national whistleblower organization, before federal criminal grand jury, during congressional hearings and in two federal civil jury trials. After the second trial resulted in a hung jury, DOJ abandoned its prosecution.
Rankings and Recognition
- Legal 500: Litigation: White Collar Criminal Defense, 2015
Professional and Community Involvement
- Founding Board Member, Slim Peace Groups
- District of Columbia
- Supreme Court of California
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals
- United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- United States Supreme Court
- Clerk, The Honorable Melvin Brunetti, US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Clerk, The Honorable Charles R. Breyer, US District Court for the Northern District of California
- J.D., University of California, Hastings College of the Law, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, 1996
- B.A., University of Michigan, with high distinction, 1991